• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:49 AM

Hello

I am going to start a new campaign with new characters and this time I wan to restrict fortune die in characteristics. The reason you already know from many old posts.

I have been reading and I have found that many people restrict them to 1 per stat x rank, but I have the impression that this still makes a lot of fortune die. For example 5 at rank 5 for a given stat. Which is the feeling of those of you using this house rule? Those it work fine? or it is still too many die.

Another option is to further restrict them, like up to two or three per stat, or just not allowing them at all in the game. I have seen people posting similar house rules. In that case, what do you do with the career Fortune advances?

Cheers

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#2 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

One thing you should keep in mind is that some careers allow for 3 purchases in fortune dice. 1 per rank per ability short changes them (especially since they get the fortune dice at the expense of talents, skills, and actions.

Of course, I've never had an issue with fortune dice attached to ability scores, because I'm throwing situational fortune/misfortune dice around all the time. 

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#3 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:04 AM

Yepesnopes said:

what do you do with the career Fortune advances?

Cheers

In our group (Gallows) we have disallowed fortune dice to stats for a while now ... but just introduced a new houserule:

- Fortune point cap for characters start out at 2

- the cap can then be raised at the cost of 1xp per point - up to a max cap equal to 2+ Fortune advances of your current career

- Fortune point cap can never go down due to changing career

....so a player starting out in the career: Commoner (3 Fortune advances) and spending 3 xp on raising his cap, will have 5 in his fortune point cap regardless of the number of fortune point advances of future careers ... 

#4 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:38 AM

Out of curiosity, do people similarly limit or ditch specialties also?

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#5 GaiusIII

GaiusIII

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

We ditched the fortune die to a stat quite a while ago. Instead, players can spend advances to increase their fortune pool. It's worked out much better than the stat fortune die.

#6 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:20 PM

I like fortune points, mainly because it gives more variety and flavor to characters.  One character may be very smart and have a 5 Intelligence, while another may be smart, but not quite that smart, having 4[2]. 

It gives you a wider range. Using Star Wars characters as an example, instead of every character falling into 3, 4, or 5, you can have

Agility

3 - Leia, Chewbacka

3[1] - Lando, stormtroopers, Vader

3[2] - Han

4 - Luke (as of episode 4)

4[1] - Boba Fett

4[2] - Luke (after training with Yoda), a young Obi Wan

5 - Darth Maul

5[1] - 

5[2] -

6 - 

6[2] - Legolas :)

#7 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:48 PM

GaiusIII said:

We ditched the fortune die to a stat quite a while ago. Instead, players can spend advances to increase their fortune pool. It's worked out much better than the stat fortune die.

Can you please, similarly to Boehm, specify how have you done it?

thanks

#8 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:51 PM

Romus said:

I like fortune points, mainly because it gives more variety and flavor to characters.  One character may be very smart and have a 5 Intelligence, while another may be smart, but not quite that smart, having 4[2]. 

It gives you a wider range. Using Star Wars characters as an example, instead of every character falling into 3, 4, or 5, you can have

Agility

3 - Leia, Chewbacka

3[1] - Lando, stormtroopers, Vader

3[2] - Han

4 - Luke (as of episode 4)

4[1] - Boba Fett

4[2] - Luke (after training with Yoda), a young Obi Wan

5 - Darth Maul

5[1] - 

5[2] -

6 - 

6[2] - Legolas :)

I agree with you, what I don't like is when you find things like

3 [5]

5 [6]

which as per RAW it is allowed.

Interestingly, I can see in your post something I want to do, that is limiting fortune die to 2 per characteristic.

How have you done it in your group? is there any limit? and then again, what you do with the fortune advances of the career?

Thanks

#9 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yepesnopes said:

Romus said:

3 [5]

5 [6]

Interestingly, I can see in your post something I want to do, that is limiting fortune die to 2 per characteristic.

How have you done it in your group? is there any limit? and then again, what you do with the fortune advances of the career?

Thanks

Yes we limit to 2, and we allow advancement points spent on fortune to convert to points going toward stat increase. For example, if you have a 3 and put two fortune into it making it 3[2], you can spend 2 more points to convert that to a 4.  The two open career advancement slots, that were fortune, are converted to stat increase slots.

#10 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Oh, and one more thing, we don't limit fortune to career stats, you can put them on any stat. This gives more variety and helps spread them out.

#11 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Doc, the Weasel said:

One thing you should keep in mind is that some careers allow for 3 purchases in fortune dice. 1 per rank per ability short changes them (especially since they get the fortune dice at the expense of talents, skills, and actions.

Of course, I've never had an issue with fortune dice attached to ability scores, because I'm throwing situational fortune/misfortune dice around all the time. 

Doc, the Weasel said:

Indeed, this is my point, I want to come with an idea on how to make the fortune advances useful after imposing a limit on the amount of fortune dice per stat.

I love that you didn't find any problem with the raw rules on fortune dice, really! but after playing with a Reiklander character who ended with St 5 [6] I had enough.

#12 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Romus said:

Yepesnopes said:

Romus said:

3 [5]

5 [6]

Thanks

Yes we limit to 2, and we allow advancement points spent on fortune to convert to points going toward stat increase. For example, if you have a 3 and put two fortune into it making it 3[2], you can spend 2 more points to convert that to a 4.  The two open career advancement slots, that were fortune, are converted to stat increase slots.

mmmmm, Nice nice. This sounds something I may like! One more question, do you still cap the stats to 6 right? because with this rule you may be able to increase above 6.

Thanks

#13 Romus

Romus

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

Yepesnopes said:

Romus said:

Yepesnopes said:

mmmmm, Nice nice. This sounds something I may like! One more question, do you still cap the stats to 6 right? because with this rule you may be able to increase above 6.

Thanks

Yes, 6.   Players should focus more on their character concept, instead of stacking points for best results.  That is the thing i hate about the raw rule saying fortune has to go in your career stats -- those are already your highest stats, making them stack too high. We prefer to enhance weaker stats with them.

#14 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:36 PM

Romus said:

I actually like this idea too - though I would prefer if the second fortune die cost [2] ...so as not to make the gap from 4[2] -> 5[0] too big ....

#15 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:04 AM

Yepesnopes said:

... but after playing with a Reiklander character who ended with St 5 [6] I had enough.

Yeah, that would do it. The 2-3 limit per stat may be the way to go, then.

#16 Cabello

Cabello

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:34 AM

We limit fortune per stat to your current rank, we also dont limit it to your career stats. still, very few of my players actually get any fortune advances, but those who do are split with either making their good stats better, or boosting up the stats that really arent doing too well. another limit we do have however is that you cant put more fortune into a stat than the base stat, not that that has ever come up at all. one possibly related thing is that for us we basically have your rank equal to your careers youve completed +1 as opposed to based purely on xp.

#17 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

• Members
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

Cabello said:

We limit fortune per stat to your current rank, we also dont limit it to your career stats. 

That seems like a wonderful solution.

#18 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 839 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 06:50 PM

Cabello said:

We limit fortune per stat to your current rank, we also dont limit it to your career stats. still, very few of my players actually get any fortune advances, but those who do are split with either making their good stats better, or boosting up the stats that really arent doing too well.

That's precisely how we do it, and it works like a charm.

#19 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:44 AM

Very nice ideas here!

Now I cannot decide what to do in my new campaign though :P

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS