News from NY Toy Fair?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 ImmortalJedi

ImmortalJedi

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

I checked online and see that FFG has a booth set up at the NY Toy Fair, which starts today. A friend of mine is working there for a different company and he usually doesn't get the chance to leave the booth to look around. (He's actually told me that some companies don't want employees from other booths stopping by because they think they are scouting for ideas to "borrow".) I did call him earlier and asked him to try to take a look by the FFG booth to see if there is any news if he can get away from the booth. I've attended in the past, but can't get there this year...

Anyone else on the boards attending Toy Fair? Any news from there?

Any official announcements coming from FFG at the Toy Fair?

#2 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:39 AM

I've been scouring the internet for this, and all I can find is that they are, in fact, there.

#3 ImmortalJedi

ImmortalJedi

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

I heard back from my buddy, and he knows FFG was there, but he never got out of his booth to check it out for me. Anyone hear anything? Does anyone from FFG want to let us know how things were?

#4 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

I'm very curious as well because the official FFG twitter account a couple days ago tweeted something like "2 more days of FFG at NY Toy Fair, booth 6170. Stop by and see Star Wars, The Hobbit, Game of Thrones, etc."

So yeah, there's a chance of some info, though it could just be info on the X-wing game.

#5 ImmortalJedi

ImmortalJedi

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Here's a link to some pics from the Toy Fair. No news, but some images. I don't remember who was creating the game, but there are two names on the box....are these the same guys or has the creative team changed?

http://rebelscum.com.../FantasyFlight/

#6 Battlestar

Battlestar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:45 PM

This sucks in those pics it says 2 players. I'm out if this holds.... might as well look at getting into LOTR :(

#7 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 01:28 PM

That's the same cover that they've always been promoting.  And LOTR is also 1-2 on the box (to play with 3-4 they want you to get another copy for the extra threat trackers).

#8 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:07 AM

Grudunza said:

That's the same cover that they've always been promoting.  And LOTR is also 1-2 on the box (to play with 3-4 they want you to get another copy for the extra threat trackers).

Here is the box they had from last year's GenCon. It says A Card Game of Galactic Conflict for 1-4 Players*

#9 Battlestar

Battlestar

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:58 AM

So now its only a 2 player game?? Not impressed.

#10 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

I didn't catch that it says "2 players" and not "1-2." So I guess it's PvP now. Bummer.

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 04:56 AM

Holy cow! What a bummer! I'll still probably comment on these forums and keep touch with the community here, but I don't foresee myself purchasing this now. Not unless a miracle happens and my twin and I move to the same city . . . which is unlikely since we're both just starting Ph.D. programs.

This is getting old. It's Star Wars: The Old Republic all over again. I was on the forums from the very beginning, but by time it came out, I wasn't in a position where I could play it. Now I've spent the past six months thinking about this game and it's turning out to be totally different.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 821 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 05:20 AM

At least the Lord of the Rings LCG is really good, so I'll just continue to play that I guess, if this sucks. I just don't foresee this holding my interest like a co-op version would have.

There's just soo many pvp card games out there already, including like four Star Wars ones. And there's just almost no way this can be as good as Decipher's old game.

*shrug*

#13 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:16 AM

Mattr0polis said:

There's just soo many pvp card games out there already, including like four Star Wars ones. And there's just almost no way this can be as good as Decipher's old game.

*shrug*

Whoomp. There it is. 

#14 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

It could be that it means 2 player out of the box and that if you were to add a second core set it could be 4 player? I hope. 

#15 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:05 AM

And co-op or pvp, multi player would be preferable for the majority of players I think.

#16 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

I've just taken a look at the Lord of the rings LCG page and that one also says 1-2 players and in brackets on the description then says 'up to 4 players with 2 core sets. This gives me hope for the multiplayer. 

#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:28 PM

I get the impression it's going to be more like Warhammer than LotR. No real reason for that, just based on a lot of assumptions. I mean, if they stick to the idea of the four zones that you can play characters into (ship, operations, whatever they were) it sounds more like you'll have a capital board in front of you, and you'll be going against your opponent with the same setup. I suppose you could play it multiplayer, as Warhammer seems possibly capable of being played, but I get the impression that "officially" it'll remain 1 vs 1.

My thoughts keep coming back to the update announcement, though. A "groundbreaking" game experience, with just 1 vs 1? Even with multiplayer, this wouldn't be groundbreaking, as AGoT has that built in. They're either lying, don't understand what "groundbreaking" means, or have something completely awesome up their sleeve that will make people around the world collectively faint when they announce the mechanics...

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#18 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 04:26 PM

spirit said:

I've just taken a look at the Lord of the rings LCG page and that one also says 1-2 players and in brackets on the description then says 'up to 4 players with 2 core sets. This gives me hope for the multiplayer. 

The difference is that the LOTR box says "1-2 players," and the SW box now says "2 players."  All of the other PvP LCG games say "2 players."

#19 Pericles

Pericles

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

It's funny, in a sad kinda way.  I picked-up the LotR:LCG core set recently so that I could get aquainted with cooperative game play, primarily because I was looking forward to this game.  LotR has really grown on me, and now it seems that I will stick with it and probably avoid Star Wars.  It's funny how things work out.

FFG probably doesn't care one way or the other; they are getting my $ in either case. 

"Chug... Chug... Chug..."

#20 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:01 AM

Pericles said:

It's funny, in a sad kinda way.  I picked-up the LotR:LCG core set recently so that I could get aquainted with cooperative game play, primarily because I was looking forward to this game.  LotR has really grown on me, and now it seems that I will stick with it and probably avoid Star Wars.  It's funny how things work out.

FFG probably doesn't care one way or the other; they are getting my $ in either case. 

Ditto! That's exactly what happened to me too.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS