• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:59 PM

These came up as my wife was kicking my butt for the second time in  a row:

1.  Walls on the line between sectors are destroyed when the sector rotates:  what about doors?

2.  Are stones considered spells?  If someone chucks a boomstone at you, can you use a Full Shield?

Thanks in advance, 

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#2 ZXTR

ZXTR

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Zozimus said:

1.  Walls on the line between sectors are destroyed when the sector rotates:  what about doors?

Rules pg. 14: If a created wall is straddling the line between two sector boards when one or both of them move, the wall is destroyed. Alternatively, if a destroyed or damaged wall is straddling the line between two sector boards when one or both of them move, the wall is repaired and the damage marker is removed.

I think everithing created on lines between sectors share the same rule (doors, wall of fire).

Zozimus said:

2. Are stones considered spells? If someone chucks a boomstone at you, can you use a Full Shield?

Full shield: Cancel 1 target spell targeting you as it is cast.

Rules pg. 19: Spell: A Magic card of the attack spell, counter spell or neutral spell type. Some spells can be maintained or boosted.

So, no, you can't.

#3 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Zozimus said:

2.  Are stones considered spells?  If someone chucks a boomstone at you, can you use a Full Shield?

Thanks in advance, 

Zozimus said:

Thanks in advance, 

1. I assume Doors too are destroyed because I theorize the reason a wall is destroyed as it sits between sectors is mechanically the game stays faithful to neutrality, allowing the decision to be outside of players' hands as well empowering sector change spells for a player who would utilize that  uncommon spell. Rotate Sector can be great defensively for you or your opponent, whether you want to twist and abstract your enemies plans as he or she runs around your base, or your opponent with treasure in tow could destroy wall, move 3 through it, and then Rotate Sector, sealing off her route and giving further separation from her pursuer.

2. I want to say items are not spells, but I cannot be sure because I do not know what the designers intended and the manual did not seem clear on this. My logic why Boomstone is not a spell is because spells dissipate when lost and items instead seem to be their own class, something that can be carried around and dropped. Some players may say that makes items overpowered, but in reality it seems fairly balanced: there are counter exclusive cards, such as specifically against neutral card, line of sight cards, and also items. Some are more broad, like Shield, and just prevent damage from a single source (this would prevent or negate Boomstone if boosted). Full Shield is exclusively against a spell that is targeting you, much like how Negate Neutral is exclusive to neutral spells, so it doesn't work against Boomstone. An example of a good counter against Boomstone is Wall of Earth, which blocks 1 line of sight attack. Vulnerabilities beyond Boomstone's fire susceptibility is Yoink! and Drop Object, among possible other cards that should impede Boomstone's owner.

#4 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:15 AM

Yeah, those are the conclusions we reached too...we'll go with them unless we get an official ruling, I guess.  Thanks!

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#5 theunsquare

theunsquare

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:42 PM

Stones are not spells.  They are specifically items, showing the yellow icon in the upper left. 

Spells, energy and items are all types of Magic Cards.  

But of those Magic Cards spells specifically say "spell" next to their icon in the rules.  Attack Spell. Netrual Spell. Counter Spell.     

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS