Cool Names For Chaos Vessels

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Ixionyx

Ixionyx

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

My players successfully claimed the vessel "Chains of Judgement" at the end of the Broken Chains adventure.  It will take a while to restore fully, but they intend to keep it and use it as their mobile base of operation rather than choosing a world or the like.  I'm cool with this, but it needs renaming.

So, I'm looking for suggestions...  What have you named your vessels in Black Crusade?  What cool chaos heretic names have you come up with?

#2 htsmithium

htsmithium

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:46 PM

innocence's lament, illusion of pain, and "blood for the blood god"<- that last one was had a tzench commander,

all i could come up with, hope that helped

ding dong mala mortuus est,

quem veteres strigam

impii strigam

ding dong impiorum strigam mortuus est.

#3 Ryder

Ryder

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

The Incalescent

Vortex Hound

The Burning Host

Sword of Hate, Retribution

She's One of Ours, Sir. if you feel like being a troll.

• Baron Throatpunch and Cavgunner like this

#4 SomVone

SomVone

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

I always like the Fortress of Agony

#5 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

SomVone said:

I always like the Fortress of Agony

In a similar vein, Temple of Annihilation is one of my 'generic chaos' favourites.

Beyond that, I personally try to look more to specific themes - the vessels of a Tzeentchian Sorcerer-King are going to be differently named to those of a Khornate Reaver or a Nurglish Plaguesmith, afterall.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#6 Ixionyx

Ixionyx

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:30 AM

Thanks folks, these a some good suggestions so far.

My players' heretic haven't picked chaos dedications yet, the campaign was on pause because two of the players had their first baby (aw!) but we're looking to start it up again soon and I wanted to pitch a few cool names for the vessel in case they didn't have anything for it.  The I think it is going to be split-loyalties anyway, with all but Tzeentch being represented, though this may change.

My best idea so far was to call the falling apart, Nurgle-infested floating rust-bucket "The Beautiful".

#7 Zoroaster

Zoroaster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:35 AM

Innocence Lost, Wraith of Darkness, Malefic Might, The Corruptor, The Magus, Carrier of Blasphemy, Freedom of Thought, Harbringer of Sorrow, Fortress of Regret, Deliverance of Soul. 

#8 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

Part-Time Super Villian

• Members
  • 1,895 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:31 PM

Damnation's March,  Voidstalker, Trail of Vengence, Saint's Lament, Red Scourge, Stygian, Temple of Blasphemy, The Killing Joke, Heretic's Gauntlet, Bastion of Sin, Hellhouse, Beast of Blood, Ravening Tide, Sirensong,  Hungering Maw...

#9 Decessor

Decessor

• Members
  • 980 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:05 PM

In our campaign, the fleet of the Shadow Council has included:

The Chains of Judgement, the raider from an introductory adventure we rapidly sold off. My apostate suggested renaming it 'The Liberation' which was seen as a twisted jest by other Council members (the original inhabitants we had sold first).

The Shadowclaw, a sword-class frigate and until its recent mauling the flagship of the Council. The next session will decide its fate but I suspect it will be left behind in our newly conquered system for repairs.

The Hand of Jericho, a lunar-class cruiser retrieved from the warp and purely fitted for gunnery. Centuries ago it was in the posession of the Rogue Trader dynasty of...Haarlock.

The Diamond Blade, a sword-class frigate and flying pleasure palace. A Slaaneshi vessel heavily under the thumb of my apostate - until its recent hulking in a space battle. Its gilded hull proved problematic when fired upon by several system defense monitors.

Nurgle's Sleigh, a defiant-class light cruiser dedicated to Papa Nurgle under the guidance of Nicholas Santos.

The Angel of Woe, a sword-class frigate (I believe) ruled by a Fallen Dark Angel.

The Skull of Drusus, a generic transport solely equipped to carry two barracks worth of troops and deploy them to planetary surfaces.

The Ragged Edge and The Darkened Eye, a pair of wolfpack raiders sworn to the Council's cause.

#10 theshadowduke

theshadowduke

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:27 PM

Since it hasn't been mentioned, The Event Horizon.

• Illithidelderbrain and Annaamarth like this

#11 Alpha Chaos 13

Alpha Chaos 13

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:56 AM

Knight of Desolation, The Black Cleric, Chariot of Skulls, Defiler of Moons, Spider's Venom

#12 HPLustcraft

HPLustcraft

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

The two BC Con games I ran had wildly different ideas for renaming the Chains of Judgement...

One group renamed it The Chains of Change...And the other named it The Bloody Discharge!

As sick as I am, that second one is my favorite!

L-

#13 Lightbringer

Lightbringer

• Members
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Another approach might be to go for more evil sounding, abstract names. One imagines that many Chaos vessels are crewed by individuals from a fairly unique chaos-influenced society with its own culture and language. As such, they might steer clear of the "X of X" format often employed in naming Chaos vessels and use symbolic words from an unknown language.

So things like:

• Chossollax
  • Heptexia
  • Vandrict
  • K'raact
  • Sesskrecht

...and so on. Just pick something that sounds like Darth Vader clearing his throat, and you're away!

#14 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

Axe of Betrayal - inspired by the Axe of Redemption invented by one of my RT players XD

#15 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,313 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

One thing worth considering might well be the ship's history - many Chaos vessels are Imperial ones that've turned traitor, and they may still have their old names (or may still be recognisable as the vessels they once were, even if they've been subsequently renamed - in essence, giving the ship two names, an old Imperial one, and a new Chaos one).

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#16 Ixionyx

Ixionyx

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:02 PM

I don't have the adventure immediately to hand, but I believe it is an Iconoclast class ship, originally Imperial but used in a rebellion that was reclaimed and given to the Inquisition since it was too small to make an effective warship.  The Inquisition named it the Chains of Judgement and it served as a prison barge for tens of thousands.  Then it gets lost in the warp for two centuries...

#17 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

theshadowduke said:

Since it hasn't been mentioned, The Event Horizon.

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#18 Scott_0606

Scott_0606

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

A good technique for ship names is to either use mythical terms or a bastardised version of latin. 

For example, the two ships in my BC campaigns are the Iron Warriors strike cruiser Stygian and the Word Bearers ship Atradeus Vocem (roughly 'Voice of the Dark Gods').

#19 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 03:43 PM

Drhoz said:

Axe of Betrayal - inspired by the Axe of Redemption invented by one of my RT players XD

Reading your's, I'm inspired to think Golden Axe wouldn't be bad for a Black Legion ship (well, a number of themes actually, but they can be ostentatious at times).

And if you favour a more refined or dramatic minded Night Lord warlord, Architect of Terror isn't a bad name either.

#20 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:45 AM

If your campaign is pretty "chaos undivided", then why not Chaos Grinder? 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS