Photo

Operation Cerberus Line of Sight Question.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ktj1138

ktj1138

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:54 PM

I recently submitted this for clarification and thought I would get the thoughts of the board as well:

Hello,

I came across a rule in the Revised Core set that I was wondering if your team could clarify.

On page 15 of the Revised Core Set Rulebook there is a statement that “The entrance to a structure does not allow line of sight to run through diagonally” followed by another statement that “The rule that structure entrances block diagonal line of sight also applies when the two units are at different heights.”

Then on page 16, there is an example of a Laser Grenadier Squad shooting at BBQ & Gunner Rangers to illustrate the point of height vs. line of sight. In the example the BBQ Rangers are essentially in the “A2 to B2” situation and the Laser Grenadiers have line of sight, regardless of height. Also in that example the Gunner Rangers are on a 45 degree diagonal angle to the Laser Grenadiers, yet the example states that the Laser Grenadiers can target them regardless of height, but that the Gunner Rangers would benefit from cover, where the BBQ Rangers would not benefit from cover. How can the Laser Grenadiers target the Gunner Rangers if the structure entrance blocks diagonal line of sight? I can see how this would be a valid example if the Laser Grenadiers are on the roof of the structure, but not if they are located in the structure.

Thanks for your help,

Justin

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

Can't see a problem, the shooters are on the roof.

#3 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:10 AM

It would have been better if they had said that the Laser Grenadiers areon the roof, though. If they were in a lower level, then yes, the 45º attack wouldn't be possible.

#4 Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:56 AM

I was confused when I read your question to FFG. This example is in Cerberus and not the Revised Core rule book.

It looks like from the picture that the entry way is a large entry way, not a small entrance. So the 45 degree blocking line of site would not apply in the example. 

"Small entrances are narrower than the
width of one space.

Large entrances are as wide as the
width of one space." - Page 17 Revised Core

From the rules a large entrance and attacking are normal, with corner cover and allowing diagnal attacks. Small entrances would not:

"The BBQ Squad and Laser
Grenadiers cannot attack each other. While
both squads are in range, the window and
door entrances (small entrances) block
diagonal line of sight."  - Page 15 Cerberus

#5 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

It can't be a large entrance because the Laser Grenadiers are clearly not at ground level. So either the example is incorrect, or the Lasers are on the roof.

#6 Jiltedtoo

Jiltedtoo

• Members
  • 155 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:19 AM

It is obviously an entrance for a glider landing zone within an axis building.

I don't know, I was trying to rationalize the example.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS