Are these Boards always this dead?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 05:25 AM

Its a general question about this board all the comunities I have belonged to were full of people who posted all the time on multiple differnt threads, I have really started coming to this site over the last week and it just seems kinda dead. Why is that?

#2 fraustaaf

fraustaaf

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 06:32 AM

I agree, have tried to blow life in some threads several times now but well, very little happens.

I am afraid it is a downward spiral

But at least you and I visit this thread regulary.

Shall we try to take some responsibility to blow some life in this forum? I try to publish something at least once a week on general forum and you do the same. Then I try to post a relevant commentary on your posts and vice versa Maybe we can get some discussions going after a while, it use to be hundreds of people watching threads after all?

#3 HappyDD

HappyDD

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

That's a pretty leading thread title you got there , I could say something like "Well, I think we're doing pretty good, since even the stupidest rules questions (like the ones I ask) are answered quickly and politely." You could then come back and say something like "But some other forum is more active". Basically, people comment (a) if they can help you out or (b) if they are interested in the discussion.

As far as community play goes, which is what your other post seems to be concerned with, I think this LCG format has some weird trait where it doesn't rope in the same type of people that CCGs do. I'm not sure why. My one friend has this theory about "card game" versus "board game" people and this game attracting more board game people, who are (according to my friend) less militant/one-track minded. That could be why we don't see large, persistent communities popping up as we do for even the less popular CCGs. With big communities, we would have more people running onto the forums to post consistently. I don't think the forums are dead, but if you are comparing them to forums for games like VS, L5R, and so on, then they will look sparse.

On community: My group in Calgary has been meeting regularly in public at a huge game store, posting about our league nights, talking to people, and playing games with people who just dropped by for Magic but are waiting for a partner. Despite all this, we haven't brought in a single person to our group that we didn't know before. It's totally weird, maybe we're just jerks and people naturally don't like us. Some European leagues are doing well, I'd like to know what the bigger play groups in North America do to grow.

#4 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:24 AM

Sweet some replys for conversation

Thats cool they reply to rules questions I should go post the dumbest one that came up last night

I was just kinda wondering if like when worlds comes up does activity pick up or is it like you said more board game players play this game so not as active as the old boards im use to

#5 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 02:46 AM

It's pretty much always like this. I'm not sure why, but I don't think it's neccesarily the LCG format. The forum over at LOTR is far more active. I actually don't mind it all that much, active forums force you to constantly be around just to keep up with all the topics, and then you always end up running into members who annoy you with their posts. Part of the reason I don't go over to LOTR much anymore.

#6 Kaine82

Kaine82

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:42 AM

I miss vsrealms.com...

I think the reason this forum doesn't see more action is there are a lot of kitchen table people and not enough league players.

LCGs in general need some sort of a draft kit to ease people in gradually the way magic does. A $15 gateway that lets people play competitively while accumulating enough cards to build a constructed deck. The draft packs don't have to be random, just balanced.

Play LCGs in Louisville KY :: Monthly tournaments at 2 locations!

Wednesdays :: Something2Do :: 6:30PM - 10:00PM

Fridays :: BluegrassMagic GameShop :: 6:30 PM - Midnight

RSVP :: meetup.com/cardboardgamers

#7 Doc9

Doc9

• Members
  • 454 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:58 AM

The LoTR forum is more communicative because those kids play solo. They need more interaction.

#8 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:09 AM

Haha! How very true! The LotR forum makes me think some of those folks (me included!) spend more time on the forum than playing the game itself, it's just nuts.

It would be nice to see more discussion going on over here, though. Has anyone asked what people think of the upcoming Bloodquest Cycle?

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#9 SeanXor

SeanXor

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

Kaine82 said:

I miss vsrealms.com...

I think the reason this forum doesn't see more action is there are a lot of kitchen table people and not enough league players.

LCGs in general need some sort of a draft kit to ease people in gradually the way magic does. A $15 gateway that lets people play competitively while accumulating enough cards to build a constructed deck. The draft packs don't have to be random, just balanced.

I agree that this is a large part of it.   I also think a reason that the boards do not see much traffic is because a lot of people got driven off a couple of years ago.  The attitude on the boards when the first cycle was coming out was very caustic.  It seemed that every new pack brought up a brand new wave of threads about how the game was now broken because a certain card was to powerful, or a certain faction was to dominant.  Likewise, every time some posted a new deck it would instantly get discounted because it would be unable to beat whatever was the most powerful deck at the time.  

I know that I gave up on checking these boards for like a year during that time.  While it is quieter, it does seem nicer.  Though I would like to see an increase in traffic as well.  

#10 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:25 PM

Yeah the Realms were great

I just like to talk deck ideas

i think we are doing something wrong in this game cause my buddy has made two elf decks that one wrecks shop with Dragons the other with direct damage they are always compeditive in every game

#11 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

The last game I had saw my Chaos deck wiped out with High Elf dragons. I couldn't generate the resources to play many cards because he kept attacking my Kingdom zone, the swine... Possibly the shortest game I ever played in. Damn them!

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#12 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:17 AM

His Dragon deck on the right draw can burn a zone round three

#13 Virgo

Virgo

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 06:59 AM

Empire Pirates deck can burn two zones in 2, max 3 turns.

#14 gr4ffi

gr4ffi

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:17 AM

There is an Orc Deck that can do a first round kill, so what? It happens every 100 games.

#15 Virgo

Virgo

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:23 AM

Just pointing out that HE are definitely not the strongest decks around

#16 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

So please elaborate on this pirate deck I think I know what it does but I would like to know for sure

Im just surprised that it was doing it we had not played a game where anything was burning before like round 3 or 4 at the earliest and that was like the perfect draw this was 2 cards

#17 Virgo

Virgo

• Members
  • 707 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:55 PM

Van Klumpf’s Buccaneers + any imperial cards boosting their power (mainly knight training and runefang of solland, but also griffon standard). The rest is standard empire build.

#18 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

Thats kinda what we were thinking last night when we were working on our Dwarves and Elves decks

#19 Gerson

Gerson

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

A couple of years ago these boards were very alive. Warhammer Invasion was my first card game and I learned a lot about rules and mechanics from people posting on these boards.
Maybe they should merge all the sub-forums into a big one, it might generate more traffic.

Ironically, your thread about these boards being dead has generated more replies than any I've seen in recent times.

#20 Jvirtue55

Jvirtue55

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:26 AM

That was one of my goals was to get more people out here posting so people can see their are more people on here (just not posting) then it appears and it seems to be working

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS