On crisis cards, "character" = "human"?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Anacreon

Anacreon

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

Been asked to ask: Some crisis cards say things like, "you may choose a character"... e.g., to brig, move to sickbay... We assume this means only humans (and infiltrating cylons, too); you cannot choose a "character" who is a revealed cylon on the cylon board, right?

#2 Anacreon

Anacreon

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

And by this question, I mean, you can't try to choose a "character" who you can't actually affect as your choice, similar to how you cannot choose to move to sickbay the guy in the brig because you know it won't work and so no one has to go to sickbay.  If you have a choice that *could* work, you have to go with that.

#3 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

Anacreon,

Actually, it seems to me that this occasionally comes up and we've never received a fully satisfactory ruling. I even personally messaged FFG to no avail on the issue. Still, I interpret the rule in the same way you do. By combining some of the explicitly stated rules with inferences about the spirit of other rules, it seems to me that once a choice is made on a crisis card, the text of that crisis must be satisfied, not intentionally failed.   

#4 VRoscioli

VRoscioli

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

Holy Outlaw said:

Actually, it seems to me that this occasionally comes up and we've never received a fully satisfactory ruling.

The official FAQ says:

Q: If the a player is required to choose a character to send to the “Brig” or “Sickbay,” can he choose a character that is already there?
A: No. He also cannot choose a revealed Cylon player, or “Helo” before he is on the board (due to his negative ability)

#5 Holy Outlaw

Holy Outlaw

• Members
  • 307 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:38 PM

VRoscioli said:

The official FAQ says:

Q: If the a player is required to choose a character to send to the “Brig” or “Sickbay,” can he choose a character that is already there?
A: No. He also cannot choose a revealed Cylon player, or “Helo” before he is on the board (due to his negative ability)

Oh okay. I see. The cylon part actually has been ruled on. But can I read that ruling to mean that one can never make choices within an event or failed skill check consequence that prohibit him from satisfying the demands if different choices would have allowed him to satisfy those demands? I read this to be a categorical rule about all conditions needing to be fully satisfied if they can be. Some have suggested that's an overreach. That's the question that I seem to remember was left dangling in a thread a few months back.

At any rate, thanks for digging this up. I had forgotten that the cylon thing was explicitly stated in the rule. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS