Back to in development but still co-op?

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:54 AM

The game has been moved to in development but the write up there still says co-op for 1-4 players. I hope it's still the case. Though it may be that they simply haven't bothered to change it from before. Though why not change that when they've changed everything else?

Star Wars: The Card Game is a cooperative LCG that puts 1-4 players* in command of the Rebel strike force and mission team. Players will launch fleets of starships and direct some of the most famous heroes in the Star Wars galaxy as they confront the might of the Empire. By working together, players can fend off Imperial assaults and complete their mission, winning the game! In Star Wars: The Card Game, players take the roles of such notable heroes as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia as an Imperial deck opposes their mission attempts with a devious artificial intelligence. With a wealth of characters, starships, missions, and enemies, Star Wars: The Card Game immerses players in galactic conflict.

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:14 AM

spirit said:

The game has been moved to in development but the write up there still says co-op for 1-4 players. I hope it's still the case. Though it may be that they simply haven't bothered to change it from before. Though why not change that when they've changed everything else?

Star Wars: The Card Game is a cooperative LCG that puts 1-4 players* in command of the Rebel strike force and mission team. Players will launch fleets of starships and direct some of the most famous heroes in the Star Wars galaxy as they confront the might of the Empire. By working together, players can fend off Imperial assaults and complete their mission, winning the game! In Star Wars: The Card Game, players take the roles of such notable heroes as Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, and Princess Leia as an Imperial deck opposes their mission attempts with a devious artificial intelligence. With a wealth of characters, starships, missions, and enemies, Star Wars: The Card Game immerses players in galactic conflict.

Which write-up are you looking at? I really would like to believe what you are saying, but that same statement on the description for the "Upcoming" page is what used to be on the Description page of the SW:TCG website, which has now been replaced by the recent update. Why replace the entire description page if the main direction of the game was going to be the same? I suppose it's easier to cut out the old and paste the update they had made. Taking the easy path would also explain why the "Upcoming" page's description has not been altered. I'm sure it'll change when they get more information on what the product will be like. I think it still is possible for it to be a co-op game, but my hope is fading. 

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 417 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:13 AM

That was a directly taken from the upcoming page. But yes I agree, my hope is fading for a co-op. 

#4 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

Cooperative is boring. Get it out of here. 

#5 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:43 PM

qwertyuiop said:

Cooperative is boring.

To you.

Anyway, screw it. If the point here is that FFG is going to bend to whoever screams the loudest, then how good could the original plan for the game actually have been? And how good will its replacement actually be? Honestly, it was X-wing I was always more interested in anyway, and I'll always have Battlestar Galactica and Talisman from FFG. So, I'll pop in in December and see what sort of game you've all been given. I hope it will be good, but I've no reason to think so.

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:18 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

qwertyuiop said:

Cooperative is boring.

To you.

Anyway, screw it. If the point here is that FFG is going to bend to whoever screams the loudest, then how good could the original plan for the game actually have been? And how good will its replacement actually be? Honestly, it was X-wing I was always more interested in anyway, and I'll always have Battlestar Galactica and Talisman from FFG. So, I'll pop in in December and see what sort of game you've all been given. I hope it will be good, but I've no reason to think so.

Here, here!

Edit: Except that I'm not leaving this alone until December.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 telengard

telengard

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:09 PM

Unfortunately, it looks like it isn't going to be co-op anymore.

Co-op is no longer mentioned in the description and in addition I see this "Players will launch fleets of starships and direct some of the most famous heroes and villains in the Star Wars galaxy."  So now the players can be villains, so my guess it is now PvP.

~telengard

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:35 PM

telengard said:

Co-op is no longer mentioned in the description and in addition I see this "Players will launch fleets of starships and direct some of the most famous heroes and villains in the Star Wars galaxy."  So now the players can be villains, so my guess it is now PvP.

~telengard

By golly you're right!! Well, I guess I better go buy the rest of the LotR Adventure Packs since there's no point saving up for this one anymore.

EDIT: And if you don't believe telengard, try comparing the current paragraph under "Products" on the SW:TCG homepage with the paragraph in the "Upcoming" section of the website.

--Count Dooku

#9 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

Interesting, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's PvP, at least not exclusively. It could also mean that you can play co-op from either side. I really hope whatever they do that some form of co-op is still an option.

#10 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:11 PM

if it is not co-op then there is no way I'll be buying it...

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#11 Darth Hideous

Darth Hideous

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:40 AM

booored said:

if it is not co-op then there is no way I'll be buying it...

If it is a co-op then there is no way I'll be buying it... :)

You, my children, are the water that will wash away all that has gone before. In your hand, you hold my light, the gleam in the eye of Set. This flame will burn away the darkness, burn you the way to paradise!

#12 mastabou

mastabou

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:04 AM

I'm hoping this update about going back to the drawing board will be a change to a competitive lcg.  I missed out on the popularity of the previous star wars ccg offerings and hope I can get another chance with this one..

#13 Tobogan

Tobogan

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:31 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

Anyway, screw it. If the point here is that FFG is going to bend to whoever screams the loudest, then how good could the original plan for the game actually have been?

They did when they errated Alchemists Guild Hall, or when they banned Visit the Haunted City, don't know why they would not do the same here.

#14 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

Tobogan said:

I. J. Thompson said:

Anyway, screw it. If the point here is that FFG is going to bend to whoever screams the loudest, then how good could the original plan for the game actually have been?

They did when they errated Alchemists Guild Hall, or when they banned Visit the Haunted City, don't know why they would not do the same here.

I don't know where those examples come from, but that sounds like errata to me - not the total redesign of a game.

#15 windforce

windforce

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:48 AM

I will keep my hopes up for coop/solo play as a base. If not, it won't be a game for me.

#16 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:34 AM

telengard said:

~telengard

This just kind of ruined my day a little. I hope that it comes able to play either solo/coop or PvP, because there is no point for me to get this otherwise. I collected the Decipher SWCCG from the start and found exactly ZERO players. I kept buying them hoping I'd run into someone, but never did. The only card shop within an hour went out of business right after I made a big purchase there and I never got to ask them if they knew players. I knew 2 people ever who played this and they were my brother's college friends who are 6 years older, plus didn't live near me. If it had been just a few years later, I would have been able to hook up with tons of people via the internet.

#17 Tobogan

Tobogan

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:53 AM

I. J. Thompson said:

I don't know where those examples come from, but that sounds like errata to me - not the total redesign of a game.

Actually, it comes from a design flaw, and since the release of Forbidden Alchemy, they may look carefully at what they want us to buy.

#18 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:42 PM

windforce said:

I will keep my hopes up for coop/solo play as a base. If not, it won't be a game for me.

There are already many Star Wars PvP games (SWCCG, Young Jedi, Jedi Knight, SWTCG etc) I don't see the point of adding another one to the list. After a few years the player base vanishes. A solo option would provide a longer lifespan.

The Middle Earth Card Game (Iron Crown) was both PvP and had a decent solo option - why not have the mechanics for both?

#19 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:06 PM

One thing still keeps me thinking about this: FFG announced that they have the rights to make Star Wars card games, and that they intend to make Star Wars card games. So why on Earth would they trash all the work they've done on this first game, when they could just incorporate the 'missing' element (pvp) into one of the subsequent games?

I mean, I've no doubt they want their first kick at the Star Wars cat to have the broadest appeal. But if you think they must have been in development (design, artwork) for a year before they announced this thing, then that's almost two years' worth of wasted time and resources, which is two years' worth of wasted money.

It just doesn't add up. Man, I wish I could be a fly on the wall at FFG right now.

#20 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:38 PM

herozeromes said:

telengard said:

~telengard

This just kind of ruined my day a little. I hope that it comes able to play either solo/coop or PvP, because there is no point for me to get this otherwise. I collected the Decipher SWCCG from the start and found exactly ZERO players. I kept buying them hoping I'd run into someone, but never did. The only card shop within an hour went out of business right after I made a big purchase there and I never got to ask them if they knew players. I knew 2 people ever who played this and they were my brother's college friends who are 6 years older, plus didn't live near me. If it had been just a few years later, I would have been able to hook up with tons of people via the internet.

if this is ture then they just lost at least 1 player for sure...

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS