brotherhood without banners

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jbt

jbt

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

Not sure I am playing the game correctly.  It seems like the brotherhood pieces have an unfair advantage in movement to the point that after just one or two moves the game is already decided.  As long as you have the flaming swords tokens you can continue to move your brotherhood pieces and continue to attack, but the lannister pieces are subject to just one move per turn. Is anyone else having this problem or am I just not understanding the rules.

#2 KenToad

KenToad

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:43 AM

jbt said:

Not sure I am playing the game correctly.  It seems like the brotherhood pieces have an unfair advantage in movement to the point that after just one or two moves the game is already decided.  As long as you have the flaming swords tokens you can continue to move your brotherhood pieces and continue to attack, but the lannister pieces are subject to just one move per turn. Is anyone else having this problem or am I just not understanding the rules.

Remember that you still have to use Leadership Cards or Order Tokens to Order your Brotherhood Units.  You can't just Order them whenever you want.  You also don't use the Flaming sword Tokens to Order them.

#3 Tarus

Tarus

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:37 AM

So... is it a good expansion or not? What about the new units and commanders? The system to give orders to the units: does it work well?

It's strange that no one has given his/her opinion on this expansion yet.

#4 jbt

jbt

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:55 AM

still confused.  Does the rule on brotherhood tokens mean that although all units are considered active you can only move one of those units per token per turn? Or if you play more than one token you can move more units on the same turn.   I own all the exspansions and enjoy playing them all, just confused on the brotherhood rules of movement. thanks

#5 KenToad

KenToad

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:32 AM

You order the Brotherhood units just like any other unit.  Probably, the confusion is because of the subtle, but fundamental, differences between the terms "active"  and "order."  Brotherhood Units are always Active, but, in order to Order them, you still have to play a Leadership Card in a Commander's Zone of Control or an Order Token anywhere on the board. 

At the end of the Round, if you have ordered any Brotherhood Units, you discard a single fire sword token.  You also lose fire sword tokens when special abilities, Like Tyrion's, would normally make your Brotherhood Units inactive.  You gain Brotherhood Tokens each Round, too.

But, in terms of gameplay, as long as you have at least one fire sword token, just think of each Brotherhood Unit as having their Flag rotated to the Active side.  They still must be Ordered as usual in order to be able to move and attack.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, let us know how your next game goes.  I'd like to hear more about the expansion.

#6 KelemvorFFG

KelemvorFFG

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:14 AM

KenToad said:

You order the Brotherhood units just like any other unit.  Probably, the confusion is because of the subtle, but fundamental, differences between the terms "active"  and "order."  Brotherhood Units are always Active, but, in order to Order them, you still have to play a Leadership Card in a Commander's Zone of Control or an Order Token anywhere on the board. 

At the end of the Round, if you have ordered any Brotherhood Units, you discard a single fire sword token.  You also lose fire sword tokens when special abilities, Like Tyrion's, would normally make your Brotherhood Units inactive.  You gain Brotherhood Tokens each Round, too.

But, in terms of gameplay, as long as you have at least one fire sword token, just think of each Brotherhood Unit as having their Flag rotated to the Active side.  They still must be Ordered as usual in order to be able to move and attack.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, let us know how your next game goes.  I'd like to hear more about the expansion.

Totally agree except for a little mistake: when you said "At the end of the Round, if you have ordered any Brotherhood Units, you discard a single fire sword token." you had to say  "At the end of each of your turns during Command Phase, if you have ordered any Brotherhood Units, you discard a single fire sword token (aka Brotherhood tokens)."

#7 KenToad

KenToad

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:27 AM

KelemvorFFG said:

KenToad said:

Does that make sense?

Totally agree except for a little mistake: when you said "At the end of the Round, if you have ordered any Brotherhood Units, you discard a single fire sword token." you had to say  "At the end of each of your turns during Command Phase, if you have ordered any Brotherhood Units, you discard a single fire sword token (aka Brotherhood tokens)."

That's a big correction.  Thanks. 

I guess that's the balancing effect to these Units.  If you use a single Order Token to Order a single Brotherhood Unit, then you will also have to pay a Brotherhood (fire sword) token at the end of that turn.  However, if you use an Order 3 Leadership Card to order 3 Brotherhood Units in a Commander's Zone of Control, you still only have to discard one Fire Sword Token at the end of the Turn.

Sounds cool, hope I get to play this one at some point.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS