Just curious..

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Wumpscutty

Wumpscutty

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:35 PM

Why have my post with unlikely characters been deleted.. just curious to know, so i do not make the same mistake again,

Over and out - wumpscutty

#2 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:20 AM

I would hazard a guess that it was to do with the subject matter of the characters you posted.

In the current version FFG has had to tone down certain old school cards (Slaver etc), so I figure cards featuring a Nazi, Prostitute and Serial Killer etc are unlikely to be what they would like on the their own forums.

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#3 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yikes! Glad I missed it!

#4 Wumpscutty

Wumpscutty

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:21 PM

Oh come on. FFG got like what a 1000 different games or so, dont´t  tell me atleast one of those games features atleast one of my characters, or something very similar, theresonly one character amongst them there might offend some people and that would be the Jehova witness, theres really not much defference between an Assassin and a serial killer, I did even apoligize in advance hoping not to offend some. Not to speak of the nazi, aint there atleast one game on FFG who features the Third reich, i would think so since the majority of games is about war. and last  of all i have no ententions what so ever to be Racist or otherwise offending to people, Theire just fun characters for the greatest game in world.

#5 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:32 PM

Wumpscutty said:

Oh come on. FFG got like what a 1000 different games or so, dont´t  tell me atleast one of those games features atleast one of my characters, or something very similar, theresonly one character amongst them there might offend some people and that would be the Jehova witness, theres really not much defference between an Assassin and a serial killer, I did even apoligize in advance hoping not to offend some. Not to speak of the nazi, aint there atleast one game on FFG who features the Third reich, i would think so since the majority of games is about war. and last  of all i have no ententions what so ever to be Racist or otherwise offending to people, Theire just fun characters for the greatest game in world.

I completely agree with you buddy. You meant no offence at all. They were fine. Just look at the German Mephisto characters which contains a Courtesan. A high class prostitute. I'm so glad you didn't upset our resident feminist/do gooder/pain in the *ss with your characters (who I completely disagree with) lol

Ell.

#6 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,305 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:38 PM

And the name change from Slaver to Dungeon Keeper made no sense at all. Slavers were in history and that's a fact. Ignoring the history of Slavery is not the way to go. It's like trying to ignore the Jewish genocide in WW2. These things happened and should always be remembered. Slavery still exists in some parts of the world even now. Just because we put a Slaver card in the game doesn't mean we are being offensive. The modern world gone wrong I'm afraid - and yes I still say manhole cover, I am not being sexist. It was men that used to go down them. Why should we change a word that has existed for a long time just because women now choose to go down them. Crazy!

Ell.

Ps. I have two mixed race sons so I can't be racist either can I lol

#7 The Wizard

The Wizard

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:56 AM

talismanamsilat said:

Wumpscutty said:

I completely agree with you buddy. You meant no offence at all. They were fine. Just look at the German Mephisto characters which contains a Courtesan. A high class prostitute. I'm so glad you didn't upset our resident feminist/do gooder/pain in the *ss with your characters (who I completely disagree with) lol

Ell.

#8 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:28 AM

Apologising in advance would suggest that you thought that some people might be offended, so you cannot now complain if that was the case.

Before anyone starts lighting torches and takes to the streets I would say that I did not really care for the cards. They did not particularly "offend" me, but they could certainly have been in better taste.

Serial killers, nazis, slavery and many other things have happened in the world, but this is a light fantasy game world. Whether such things are acceptable is a matter of opinion. What might offend one, might make another laugh. It is the way of things, but where do you draw the line? We all know that paedophiles exist, but I don't think having a character based on one would be at all amusing...

Remember the post about not having the Timescape return to the Talisman world? The general feeling was that it did not belong, and neither does the Third Reich.

As to being overly politically correct, good on FFG. They hold the licence for Talisman, but are still beholden to Games Workshop so they have to watch what is being done for the game. I think them losing that licence would not be the best thing...

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#9 Wumpscutty

Wumpscutty

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

I see your point, but the whole idea with the characters where to make something unusual and different, i am fully aware of the fantasy world and its concepts. i didnt mean to make a fuzz about this whole thing. i am really just having a hard time understanding why... Its not like i am promoting something or making hidden statements or so. But think about it, aint grave robbers, devil worshippers or cultist just as bad? they exist but its definetly not people i wanna meet or get together with, but i still think theyre fun when its all a game. if it was the case i would still enjoy bringing my nazi to the fantasy world even though i despise them and all they stand for. and who wouldnt enjoy having a prostitute kicking a red dragons ass, it is so unreal it is funny. But lets just end it here, i respect that FFG is a feeble minded society with way to tight shoes.

#10 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

talismanisland said:

Apologizing in advance would suggest that you thought that some people might be offended, so you cannot now complain if that was the case.

...I would say that I did not really care for the cards. They did not particularly "offend" me, but they could certainly have been in better taste.

...this is a light fantasy game world. 

Yup... what he said. Jon seems the most sensible one in here right now.

And Wumpy... tossing a PERSONAL jab at FFG in you final comment?  Yeah, that'll get them to change their minds. And most of all else that you've spit out is so full of equivocation that it only undermines your position. You've done more to harm your case herein than to support it.

#11 Wumpscutty

Wumpscutty

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 07:36 AM

Yeah...And for that i am sorry. it was late and i was a bit pissed off at the moment. i will keep my mouth shut. and only say things as cuddly and rainbows with sprinkles and fluffy puppy.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS