Does this delay mean "A New Hope"?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

A New Hope for dropping the Co-op fad and make this into a real game?

Nothing against Co-ops mind you, but the AI is difficult to make in order to be engaging. I was unconvinced of FFG's ability to make AI convincing or engaging in their LotR attempt.

There is nothing like building a deck strategy and set it upon a living, thinking opponent who can actually challenge you instead of feeling like you are going through mechanical motions of the game.

Please Ef-Ef-Gee-1, you're my only hope...

#2 DerBarchen

DerBarchen

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Man, I am hoping SO HARD I might fodder my Bantha that they go back to Competative. If they stick with Co-Op I just wont buy it =/ I mean, LOTR was fun and all but I got a few weeks play out of it before my friends and I went back to Thrones.

#3 Swirek

Swirek

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:11 PM

I was so excited when I saw first announcement and then so disappointed when I read it and found out it will be co-op game. Now my hopes are alive again. It must be that they rethink it all over and new design will be man vs man ! :)

#4 armakis

armakis

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

aGoT + CoC + Wh:I 3 competitive games

LoTR: 1 only co-op game

It seems fair to have a new co-op one, if it is different enough from LoTR and has it's own "soul" I'm egearly taking yeat  !!

#5 Frog

Frog

• Members
  • 463 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 02:41 AM

If you read the description for the game now, it says nothing about co-op anymore.  My guess is they are ditching the co-op design.

#6 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:07 AM

Too bad if they do ditch the solo/co-op version.  That was the only thing attracting me to this game; I already have two Star Wars competitive PvP card games and play neither of them anymore. Been there, done that.  LotR is a fantastic game, in my opinion, and I have yet to exhaust it or tire of it.  It's an excellent and innovative design.  So I was looking forward to SW being of the same ilk.

FFG will come out in a wash on this one.  A previous poster said he wouldn't buy it if it were co-op, and I won't buy it if it isn't.  No statement about the quality of the game, only about what I know I will play and what I can get others to play with me. Waste of money to buy something that will just sit on a shelf, whether you fancy PvP or Solo/Co-Op.  And if it's both, well, that might work, but it could just end up pleasing neither side.

My New Hope is the same as my old one, that FFG will follow through on making a strong, distinctive, fun solo/co-op Star Wars LCG.

#7 CrowOfPyke

CrowOfPyke

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:17 AM

I agree.  I played the other Star Wars card games that were competitive - been there, done that.  I was looking forward to a co-op game.

The only issue I had with the game I saw at GenCon last year was that it was ONLY co-op as players of the Rebellion.  You could not co-op play the Empire.  Being able to play either side is probably the one true thing that players of any Star Wars card game want, competitive or co-op - I know it is for me.

David Spangler said:

Too bad if they do ditch the solo/co-op version.  That was the only thing attracting me to this game; I already have two Star Wars competitive PvP card games and play neither of them anymore. Been there, done that.  LotR is a fantastic game, in my opinion, and I have yet to exhaust it or tire of it.  It's an excellent and innovative design.  So I was looking forward to SW being of the same ilk.

FFG will come out in a wash on this one.  A previous poster said he wouldn't buy it if it were co-op, and I won't buy it if it isn't.  No statement about the quality of the game, only about what I know I will play and what I can get others to play with me. Waste of money to buy something that will just sit on a shelf, whether you fancy PvP or Solo/Co-Op.  And if it's both, well, that might work, but it could just end up pleasing neither side.

My New Hope is the same as my old one, that FFG will follow through on making a strong, distinctive, fun solo/co-op Star Wars LCG.

#8 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:23 AM

I really really hope they stick with Co-op. One of my play group has already said they wont get it if it is pvp and I suspect another who has been waiting for this wont get it if it's pvp. 

#9 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:31 AM

Yes, if it's pvp, I'm out too. I'd be playing this game with family/friends who likely won't be buying their own cards, or building their own decks. PVP means I'm just buying useless cards to look at. Not gonna do that.

#10 Hellfury

Hellfury

• Members
  • 830 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Frog said:

If you read the description for the game now, it says nothing about co-op anymore.  My guess is they are ditching the co-op design.

This is the strongest indicator (to me) that Co-op was either dropped or minimized.

I do love how some people say they wont buy it either way. Let's face it, if a company put a sign that said "star wars officially licensed product" in a pile of dog poop,  there would be people who would still buy it on namesake alone. 90% or more of the interest garnered so far for this game is on namesake alone so this isn't any different.

The nerdrage fallout if Co-op does get dropped is going to be tremendous though.

Which is truly hilarious because those very same Co-op lovers were the same ones saying that PVP were the overly loud minority. They might have to eat crow on that after they post their displeasure continually on online forums.

#11 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

armakis said:

aGoT + CoC + Wh:I 3 competitive games

LoTR: 1 only co-op game

It seems fair to have a new co-op one, if it is different enough from LoTR and has it's own "soul" I'm egearly taking yeat  !!

You want two golden egg laying geese licenses to champion boring games because it seems fair?  I mean, I get it if you are a father or mother playing with children and it provides a challenge or you are receiving a good family/friend experience with LotR and want to extend that with another game. I won't bash that and I am glad you enjoy the game. But...Star Wars deserves to be competitive.  It is just as much fun to crush Echo base with an AT-AT as it is to blow one up through ridiculous acrobatics. Why settle for half the experience?

#12 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 06:44 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Yes, if it's pvp, I'm out too. I'd be playing this game with family/friends who likely won't be buying their own cards, or building their own decks. PVP means I'm just buying useless cards to look at. Not gonna do that.

I'm confused. You're willing to share decks when it's a cooperative game, but not when it's PvP?

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#13 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:10 PM

if it is not co-op then there is no way I'll be buying it...

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#14 spirit

spirit

• Members
  • 416 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:28 PM

Oh I WILL be buying it. It just depends on whether others in my group will be buying it as well. 

#15 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:08 AM

MarthWMaster said:

I. J. Thompson said:

I'm confused. You're willing to share decks when it's a cooperative game, but not when it's PvP?

No, it means the people I'd be playing it with won't have the interest to sit down and build their own decks. I'd have to do it for them - which could work in co-op, but would make pvp extremely dull.

#16 Darth Hideous

Darth Hideous

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:28 AM

I really really hope they will make the game a PvP game. Perhaps with rules for 1vs1 2vs2 and 3vs3. That would be great! (PvP AND co-op in one game :D )

...Then if possible make a player Vs AI to satisfy the co-op crowd.

You, my children, are the water that will wash away all that has gone before. In your hand, you hold my light, the gleam in the eye of Set. This flame will burn away the darkness, burn you the way to paradise!

#17 Tobogan

Tobogan

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:35 AM

I won't mind if the leave the option to play it as a solo/co-op, but seriously, i will not buy it unless it can be played AGAINST another person, i was so dissappointed when i played LotRm that i gave it to a friend.

#18 Skychapon

Skychapon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:03 AM

Ok, they don't mention co-op game but they said that :

"Take command of a Rebel strike force in the Star Wars universe! "

They don't mention of Empire strike force. in my opinion, the co-op game experience is always on the road.

#19 SystemIsDown

SystemIsDown

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:00 AM

I cancelled my pre-order, mainly because of the amount of time delay and because I had already paid in full. But if it turns out NOT to be co-op (with solo play option), I will not purchase it.

#20 borithan

borithan

• Members
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:10 PM

I personally think Co-op gets the feel of Star Wars much better. Star Wars is about great heroes defeating great evil, not crushing your rivals (which suits Game of Thrones and Warhammer much more). It is similar to Lord of the Rings in that way. Now, I would be miffed if there was no way to play Imperial characters in a RPG (and please, no first level Jedi), but and RPG is much more about the story you as a player are making, while a card game/board game is about creating a game which creates the feel of the setting it is based on.

Also, as said, PvP games rely much more on there being a community to play with, which not everyone has access to and quickly produces various circles of elites, making it less approachable. A co-op game is (obviously) less advesarial, so more approachable, and is more practical to have 1 person in a circle of friends having the game and everyone playing it occasionally (without everyone required to have their own decks).

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS