'Home-brew' aircraft

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Graf von Stauffenberg

Graf von Stauffenberg

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:51 AM

Cutting a long story short, what scale of model aircraft is suitable for Dust Tactics? I remember reading somewere that Dust is 1:48, but does anyone know?

[I am inventing rules for fighters, Horten flying wings and so on as a stopgap until we geat an expansion on the matter. Based on the SSU Transport Helicopter]

Yrs

G. von S.

#2 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 03:22 AM

Yes, Dust is 1:48 scale, pretty much.

#3 Graf von Stauffenberg

Graf von Stauffenberg

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thank you very much!

#4 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

This is definitely going to need pics and updates

#5 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:07 PM

I suppose you will need smaller aircraft for DT. 1:48 Hind would take up half of the board i guess!:D I have a blackhawk in 1:72 i will post the comparison in a second.

#6 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Blackhawk VS Blackhawk! Sadly the one on the right is much uglier:D This is a 1:72 nad i would stick to that in air units. 

#7 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:04 PM

You might be interested in the aircraft rules I've been using:

These rules are for using fixed wing aircraft who undertake a straffing or bombing run to release their payload. Aircraft will arrive on a table edge and have a couple of turns in play before flying off to return on the next turn.

Deployment
Aircraft use their first action to deploy on any square on any table edge. This counts as a Move action as normal.

Movement
The speed indicated of the aircraft card is it’s minimum speed. The aircraft must move forward at least this distance as a Move action for it’s first action of a each turn after deploying. For every 3 squares it moves forward it can move 1 to the left or right, this does not count as part of its minimum move. Aircraft cannot turn or change facing. If an aircraft leaves the table it can return for another run next turn.

Attacks
Aircraft with guns or rockets can only shoot at targets directly in a straight line in front of the cockpit. Targets get a cover save if they are adjacent to terrain separating them from the shooter.

Bombs can only target units that the plane has passed over.

General
Aircraft is ideally based on a tripod so that it can straddle any terrain or unit easily as neither have any effect on the aircrafts movement. The tripod covers one square, regardless of the size of the model, all attacks to and from the aircraft are taken from this square.

#8 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:44 AM

I think hat the walker can be turned into a light attack helicopter. 

#9 Peacekeeper_b

Peacekeeper_b

• Members
  • 2,485 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 10:23 AM

Psykostevo said:

I think hat the walker can be turned into a light attack helicopter. 

I agree, and I would like to see that!

#10 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:14 PM

First find a guy who will want to destroy a walker that comes only in RCS:D you would rly need to have too much money or be a good modeler to risk that;)

#11 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:52 AM

Here is a picture of the Mustang that I'm planning on using in games of Dust Tactics/Warfare.

The model is 1/48 scale and the following picture shows how it would cover the squares on the Dust Tactics tiles. I have a base for the plane that fits in a single square and that is how I'm planning to check distance for shooting and being shot at.

#12 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:58 AM

That looks perfect.

If it were me, though, I'd try to spice it up a bit. Don't leave a standard mustang, but add some extra bits to give it that "Weird WW2" feel.

#13 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:05 AM

Loophole Master said:

That looks perfect.

If it were me, though, I'd try to spice it up a bit. Don't leave a standard mustang, but add some extra bits to give it that "Weird WW2" feel.

That is the plan. So far I've just made the model as it comes in the box.
cutting a few corners here and there, like no cockpit interior or landing gear.
I've also only put half the amount of weapons on that the instaructions told me to use. I felt a maximum of 2 weapon stat lines would be enough, one to be used against infantry and one weapons for walkers.

Before I will begin painting I'm going to built up the cockpit to have a metal shell for extra protection, two allied walker search lights under each wing and small wings on either side of the hull.

#14 attila

attila

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Looks a good size, but that's no Mustang.  The nose looks like a Hellcat, but the rest of it isn't right for that either.  Anyone know what plane it is?

I think a Hellcat would be a good fit for Dust Tactics - its got the stubby proportions right.

Edit - aah, its a P-47 Thunderbolt I think.

(sorry, I'm just a bit of plane nerd)

#15 mgentile7

mgentile7

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:22 PM

Being a professional model maker and currently working on some 1/48 scale ww2 aircraft for a client, they are spot on for the game.

#16 Mattador Actual

Mattador Actual

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:35 PM

FlorisH said:

Loophole Master said:

That looks perfect.

That is the plan. So far I've just made the model as it comes in the box.
cutting a few corners here and there, like no cockpit interior or landing gear.
I've also only put half the amount of weapons on that the instaructions told me to use. I felt a maximum of 2 weapon stat lines would be enough, one to be used against infantry and one weapons for walkers.

Before I will begin painting I'm going to built up the cockpit to have a metal shell for extra protection, two allied walker search lights under each wing and small wings on either side of the hull.

Throw a couple Phasers on that badboy!  A lil' VK never hurt nothin'!

#17 theguildllc

theguildllc

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 04:24 PM

I used 1/48 planes and mounted them on flying stands, making the stand fit a standard square.  The only Vk I added was the guns, a 5cm on one and a 75mm on the other for ground attack.  Still looking for a 1/48 Horton Brothers Ho 129 (but dont want to spend $100+ for one).

showing the gun

Now just need some rules...

#18 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

@ theguildllc: Those planes look good.

attila said:

Looks a good size, but that's no Mustang. The nose looks like a Hellcat, but the rest of it isn't right for that either. Anyone know what plane it is?

I think a Hellcat would be a good fit for Dust Tactics - its got the stubby proportions right.

Edit - aah, its a P-47 Thunderbolt I think.

(sorry, I'm just a bit of plane nerd)

After a trip to the loft and checking the box I have to agree on the model being a Thunderbolt (sorry, I know nothing about planes).

#19 Dogged

Dogged

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:04 AM

Aaaahhh... The republic P47 Thunderbolt AKA Jug? That's the WWII A10 Warthog! 8 MGs and plenty of rockets, bombs and so, sturdy potent plane.

Curiously it is not weird at all to stick AT guns on german assault planes. I remember to have had a Henschel HS129 kit which mounted such a gun in a belly gondola (the HS129 is the one with a front cabin with 4 MGs sticking at the sides). The shock when firing must have been a good one!

Mmm. A VK armed/powered I-153 would be full of character and appropiate. And maybe a Komet version...

#20 Hekal Xul

Hekal Xul

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:55 AM

One of the comics has a RAF Spitfire/Typhoon type design that features reversed swept wings and an enlarged intake under the chin. Also seems to be armed with a pair of wing mounted AT sized cannons and rockets. Would like to see this converted up.

Dust models have listed a set of aircraft decals for a soonish release that includes mainly USAAF/Marine designs with a few IJ and SSU as well. No Axis though.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS