Photo

Elder races night vision - When does it fails?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:29 AM

Hi,

I am wondering, in the Warhammer world, when does the elder races night vision fails? For example, if the adventurers descend into a dark tunnel, when no light sources exist, will the dwarves and elves still see anything? In my opinion, no, they still need some faint light source.  However, I am currently reading Gotrex & Felix, and Gotrex seems sometimes to have more of a thermal vision, and can apparently see in total darkness.

Thanks for the info

Ceodryn

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:57 AM

It's not really "see in the dark" in this edition, it's "less penalty from darkness".  So I would always have a dwarf or elf suffer less penalty from any level of darkness.

#3 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:00 PM

Does it work on fog/mist then? If its some sort of thermal vision then surely it should.

Crimsonsun

The Question of Khaine

"A God named Khaine, A God of Murder and death and bloodshed, only the willfully blind could not see this is none other than the Blood Lord Himself, cloaked in one of his many guises to beguile and trick those who might otherwise repel him!"

-The Liber Chaotica

#4 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

It's not defined in the RAW as being thermal vision.

I find the thermal thing a bit... over the top for my taste anyway.

The avoidance of 2 misfortune related to darkness feels like a low light vision to me, nothing more.

———
The time of change has come!

#5 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

Jericho said:

It's not defined in the RAW as being thermal vision.

I find the thermal thing a bit... over the top for my taste anyway.

The avoidance of 2 misfortune related to darkness feels like a low light vision to me, nothing more.

This is how i have always played it as well, but i am going to have a look, through wfb and wfrp books of various editions to see if there is any further background info on this to back up the novel.

Crimsonsun

The Question of Khaine

"A God named Khaine, A God of Murder and death and bloodshed, only the willfully blind could not see this is none other than the Blood Lord Himself, cloaked in one of his many guises to beguile and trick those who might otherwise repel him!"

-The Liber Chaotica

#6 crimsonsun

crimsonsun

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:26 PM

i cant find any mention of a thermal vision in the source material of wfrp1,2 & 3 or wfb.

Crimsonsun

The Question of Khaine

-The Liber Chaotica

#7 reg

reg

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 01:07 PM

I just see them as having better night vision, like a cat, not the old D&D infra-vision. Stick anyone down a hole with no light at all and they'd better hope to have a torch, or it'll be hands and knees all the way, and getting lost pretty quickly. Add in an enemy that's got a good sense of smell or has some kind of 'detect' magical vision (like undead) and even the most powerful of characters is going to be bleeding before the session is over.

(One of my favourite bits about wfrp is how its all so relative. Your character might be super tough, but let him fall down a hole with no light and the appropriate enemy and he's dog meat. Or even trip a non swimmer into the sea/river/canal and add something swimming with big teeth and there'll be blood aplenty in the water).

#8 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 01:38 AM

Ok, thanks for the info!

So, for example, my PCs go down a dark (i.e. no light at all) tunnel without a torch.  I am ruling that the total darkness is 4 misfortune dice to observation, and potential other checks.  The dwarf and elf would thus only got 2 misfortune dices, even so there is no light source at all.

Now, let's say the apprentice wizard is creating light with his hand.  He decides it lights 10 feet ahead.  I'll rule then that observation within the 10 feet doesn't get any misfortune dice, but 2 misfortune dices for seeing anything further.  However, the dwarf and elf would negate that and be able to see.

Does that sound like the way to do it?

Thanks in advance.
Ceodryn

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS