Basing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:07 AM

Ok so i have a question. I started playing with bases and it gives a lot to minis, some pics will come out next week. Question is did any of you removed the minis from the default bases? Couse i'm of course afraid i will brake sth:D And in acuall state adding some stones or rocks makes the legs less visible, i was thinking about removing the minis from bases but they seem to be hot-glued and i'm a bit afraid of drilling the holes as i would prly not able to place them back steadyly. Anyone has some experience with that?;) Or schould i stick to small stones, sand and snow in basing?:D All opinions will be appriciated ;)

#2 jowisu

jowisu

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:21 AM

No problems removing the legs with a hobby knife, a little patience and gentleness is all you need.

I have sliced off some of the plastic pegs with no probs. Tried using some acetone, but the preprime can be affected.

Pinning is suggested if you cut them from the bases, especially with models that stand on one leg.

I suggest you remove the cap on the bottom of the base and add acetone there, put your figs in heated water, then slowly and gently remove with a flat dull blade on a hobby knife. Pulling works too, but it can and may damage your figs. check if you can pull without damaging, it will save time.

Out of topic but worth mentioning, you can easily add weights underneath the base before you reattach the caps.

#3 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hmm when you use acetone do the pins remain in place? Couse making new pins is sth i won't possibly do good. Is there a way to you know, remove the guy but leave the pins intact to use them on the new base?;)

#4 jowisu

jowisu

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:02 AM

Lska said:

Hmm when you use acetone do the pins remain in place? Couse making new pins is sth i won't possibly do good. Is there a way to you know, remove the guy but leave the pins intact to use them on the new base?;)

No acetone won't really remove the plastic pins/pegs built in the model. It can melt it however if you use too much. Be careful. 10-20 seconds should be good enough. Wash thoroughly, and remember even the fumes can damage your figs.

Use acetone method as a last resort to be sure, try removing with a flat dull blade first.

Also, forget rock! Use cork instead! For sand use sawdust, for mud use whiteglue and a sand+soil mix.

If you got the cash, Vallejo mud/sand effect is great. Tamiya Diorama effect is good for it's price too.

#5 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:09 AM

Haha ofc i use some of those i think you can't use real rocks;) Thx for all the tips!

#6 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

Why not use and for sand? Cat litter works well for rocks to.

#7 jowisu

jowisu

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Major Mishap said:

Why not use and for sand? Cat litter works well for rocks to.

Well I am very particular with the details, sawdust is finer and smoother than actual sand, and it looks better as sand at a 1/48 scale. I use sand, but as muddy/forrest/greenland base not as sand.

My opinion, actual sand on a 1/48 looks too big and bulky.

@ LSKA: NP, goodluck!

#8 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 05:27 PM

Yea Sand looks more like pea sized gravel at scale. 

#9 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

Being a super-geek, I have different grade sand for different effect. :)   I have some than is pretty much a very fine powder. 

#10 Alexander Vulfhart

Alexander Vulfhart

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

I used some sand...and is pretty cool like gravel

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS