• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:36 PM

Welcome & Introduction:

Welcome to my third LOTR LCG 2 Player Tournament, a month-long tournament that will test your skills against The Massing! The idea behind this is that for one month (February ’12), everyone is invited to participate in playing a particular scenario with particular deck building requirements in a 2 Player Tournament. You are then invited to record and post your final score, the heroes used, and any additional narrative you’d like to add.

Note: this is not a place to post results from the past. The tournament has a one-month lifespan, and only games played and recorded throughout this month are valid. As the month unfolds, I will keep this first post updated with the Top Ten results. (Each participant can occupy a maximum of one Top Ten spot at a time, so you’re welcome to try and best your own result throughout the month.) See also, The juicebox LOTR LCG Top Ten Hall of Fame.

Will you place in the final Top Ten? I hope you’ll participate and find out!

After the end of this month’s tournament, you are welcome to continue to post results to this thread if you continue to play this particular quest under these particular parameters. However, the Top Ten on this first post will not continue to be updated after the month is over, thus preserving (like a time capsule) the results from this 2 Player Tournament. In the mean time, if you have ideas for a future tournament, feel free to suggest them in the Ideas Thread.

And now… on to this month’s 2 Player Tournament!

2 Player Tournament #3:

Scenario: The Massing at Osgiliath
Deck Parameters: Each Player may use 1-3 Core Sets + All Shadows of Mirkwood APs
Number of Players: 2 Players

Top Ten:

1. Chac ~ 141 (Éowyn, Denethor, Beravor) & (Aragorn, Théodred, Dúnhere)
2. Mdowd ~ 164 (Boromir, Éowyn, Legolas) & (Bilbo, Théodred, Berevor)
3. Narsil0420 ~ 178 (Thalin, Bilbo, Boromir) & (Éowyn, Eleanor, Prince Imrahil)
4. meumakan ~ 185 (Bilbo, Denethor, Glorfindel) & (Éowyn, Boromir, Théodred)

Last Updated:

March 2, 2012 (12:09am) [FFG Time]

[This 2 Player Tournament will run from February 1 – February 29, 2012 and will officially close at the end of the month (midnight) as time-stamped by the FFG forum time clock.]

#2 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Alright, let's kick this one off!

My beautiful wife and I took this bad boy on with me playing Thalin, Bilbo, and Boromir and my wife playing a Rohan deck of Eowyn, Eleanor, and Imrahil.

We took a while getting warmed up, hence the fairly large turn count but once we got going, we were rockstars. My wife quested solo to cross the river which allowed me to leave all my characters ready and take down the Witchking in ONE exchange! Booyah! Landroval also rescued Bilbo from death. We then booked it across the Pelennor in one turn! My wife would like me to add that we really think there should be an "I Am No Man!" card to allow Eowyn to kill the Witch King :)

Turn marker: 9

Damage: 8

Threat: 40/41

Victory Points: 1

Total: 178

#3 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:43 PM

Awesome job Narsil0420!!

I really enjoy your enthusiasm around the 2 Player Tournaments. I've gotten a couple buddies of mine to try the game out, and they've enjoyed it. However, nothing consistent enough (yet) to take regular stabs at multi-player scenarios. All in due time...

In the mean time, I sure to enjoy your reports.

#4 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hopefully not our only entry..... 185

Heroes: Bilbo, Denethor and Glorfindel+Eowyn, Boromir and Theodred

Rounds: 9, Wounds: 2+1, Threat: 44+42, Victory: 2, Dead Denethor: 8 = Total: 185

#5 Mdowd

Mdowd

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

My son and I were able to finally take down the massing with a final score of 164!!!  A first turn ranger off the encounter deck plus a sneek attacked gandalf helped set the pace. He ran boromir, eowyn, and leogolas while I ran the card draw and resource engine of Bilbo, theodred, and berevor. We tried and failed 4 or 5 times before the win. 

#6 Memetix

Memetix

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

My friend (jrd) took delivery of this today so we played our first game (over Skype).

I didn't know what was coming up, not having looked at any of the spoiler lists, however John did look through them as he was sleeving the cards. I let him make the calls as to when we quested hard to complete a stage. He built a deck to take this on and I played my standard Dwarf deck, with a couple of replacements to avoid unique card clash; Dain with Gloin, Steward of Gondor with self preservation.

Anyway, our first game went well so I thought I'd post it here.

Heroes: Gloin, Gimli, Bifur and Eowyn, Berevor, Dain

Turns: 80, Damage 2+3, Threat: 31+37

Score 153

#7 Memetix

Memetix

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:53 AM

We managed to get in 2 more games today - using the same decks so I can now post a "groups of 3" result the living tournament thread.

Anyway - the results, 2 more wins

Game 2: Turns 60, Damage 7, Threat 37+41, VPs -1 = Score 144

Game 3: Turns 60, Damage 2, Threat 44+42 = Score 148

Our decks produced very consistent results even though each game felt very different. We killed the witch king in the first game and ran away as fast as possible in the last 2 games. Playing with a pair of dwarf decks meant we could quest for about 30 on the last turn, exhausting all the characters and hoping we didn't turn over too much extra threat. It feels wrong to exhaust everything when you have a witch king and Uruk Vanguard engaged with you but that was the way we played it and it produced good scores.

3 Game, 3 Wins = time to retire to the inn to sing songs of glory.

#8 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:04 AM

@ Memetix: Didn´t you mean you used Bilbo instead of BIFUR?!!

#9 Memetix

Memetix

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:21 AM

muemakan said:

Definitely Bifur - I was playing a dwarf deck (no hobbits allowed).

Bifur was pretty essential, using his ability both Miner of the iron hills and Erebor hammersmith can be played on turn 1 to block the wolves.

#10 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 05:25 AM

Memetix said:

muemakan said:

Definitely Bifur - I was playing a dwarf deck (no hobbits allowed).

Bifur was pretty essential, using his ability both Miner of the iron hills and Erebor hammersmith can be played on turn 1 to block the wolves.

Oh no, just caught that too. Unfortunately, for this tournament, KD cards were not included in the Deck Parameters.

Will be great for the Living Tournament scene though - glad you played in a Set of 3!

#11 Memetix

Memetix

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:13 AM

Ooops - I was so excited to actually play Massing that I missed the restriction. Thankfully we played it for fun and not to enter this tournament so no sweat.

#12 Chac

Chac

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:49 AM

Hi,

Here is our score for this tournament :

Chac
Heroes : Eowyn, Denethor, Beravor
Starting Threat : 27
Card pool : 3 core sets + The Dead Marshes AP

Laurence
Heroes : Aragorn, Theodred, Dunhere
Starting Threat : 28
Card pool : 3 core sets + Hunt for Gollum AP + Journey to Roshgobel AP

Final Score

Round markers : 7 (70)
Final threat (Chac) : 34
Final threat (Laurence) : 37
Dead heroes (Chac) : none
Dead heroes (Laurence) : none
Wounds (Chac) : 0
Wounds (Laurence) : 0
Victory points : 0

Total : 141

#13 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:01 AM

Can I play BEING both players?  

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#14 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

cordeirooo said:

Can I play BEING both players?  

Must be two actual players for the tournament. That has its limitations, but it does affect game dynamics, and it's also that way on purpose to encourage us to teach the game to more people. It's such a great game after all. Time to share the goodness.

#15 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

Sorry so late... this tourney is now complete.  Well done to those who survived the massing!!

Future juicebox Tournaments will be posted in the Player community subforum.

Oh, and check out the updated juicebox Top Ten Hall of Fame over there too. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS