• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 satanito

satanito

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

Hello, i have a couple of questions that arised during my latest game:

1) So, the Dunwich horror awakes, but monsters keep falling on the rifts. Is there any effect to this or they just return to the cup?

2)If Eihort is the ancient one, what happens when you retire an investigator from play and it has brood tokens? do they dissapear or are also added to the doom track as if the investigator was devoured?

3) When using Bind Monster, the number of successes has to exact to the monster thoougness or can it go over? like if the moster toughness is 2 and you get 3 successes. Does the monster is defeated or not?

Thanks!!!

#2 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:19 PM

2) Rules state that retiring ignores any effects of devouring. Did you even read them?

3)And why wouldn't it? What sort of question is that? Why you don't need exact number of successes as monster toughness you fighting? Or why don't you need 1 success when casting a simple spell? Why would you consider bind monster requires EXACT amount of successes? 

#3 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:25 PM

Hi there!

1) from the DH rulebook, pag. 7: "Any monster that enters a vortex is immediately returned to the cup. For each monster returned to the cup in this fashion, raise the terror level by one. In addition, if there are fewer than three Dunwich Horror tokens on the Dunwich Horror track, add one Dunwich Horror token to the track"

The answer to your question lies in the "if there are fewer than three" clause: for every monster entering the vortex, you raise the terror level by 1. And then, you check the number of tokens on the DH track

2) Brood tokens are added on Eihort's doom track only if the investigator is devoured. So, retiring an investigator is a good way for avoiding big troubles

3) Successes must be greater than or equal to the monster toughness. No probs if you roll more successes. I see this thing in this way: the number of successes rolled is the actual strength of your spell. If the power of the spell is greater than the necessary, it's not a big deal :-)

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#4 dj2.0

dj2.0

• Members
  • 909 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:27 PM

What Julia said, just before me

#5 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:43 AM

I know I've seen you on here before, satanito, but in case you haven't been around in a while, you can just skip over MNT's posts.

#6 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:30 AM

Tibs said:

I know I've seen you on here before, satanito, but in case you haven't been around in a while, you can just skip over MNT's posts.

Oh, I haven't been paying much attention outside the fan creations section the last month or so, is he harassing people?

#7 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

Tibs said:

Yeah, my reasonable comment which actually contains answers is the one you need to skip, not your pointless one.

#8 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

Clearly, you don't get it. You keep coming back to the forums and we keep giving you another chance, but you just don't learn.

Giving the correct answer is one thing, but you completely fail to exhibit civility. It is possible to answer someone's question without being rude. FFG's forums are a community, so if you can't answer without being rude, then just don't answer.

#9 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

You're so boring. You haven't seen any runedess, if you think I'm being rude. 

Tell me one thing. Rules clearly state that's retiring is removing investigator from the game without on-devoured effects taking place, person read it(or person didn't, which makes it worse) and comes on forums and ask this question. Trying to reach this person consciousness(polite answers just make people come back with more of stupid unreasonable questions) is neccesirely a bad thing?

I'd rather had people hating me and started to think with their heads, than loving me and keep being shortsighted and unable to think.

#10 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 09:52 AM

Well, do that crap elsewhere. Arkham is not a simple game to learn and it's easy to miss things.

AGAIN: you could have given your answer without smarmy comments like:

Did you even read them? And why wouldn't it? What sort of question is that?

This is a hobby forum. This isn't the Thunderdome.

#11 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:37 AM

Do your crap teaching elsewhere, good sir. Game is hard, yes. Questions asked here are, mostly, plain stupid and already answered in rulebook, people just need to pay attention. But no, they'll just post a thread here. 

[ADMIN: Whether or not you think questions are stupid, calling people stupid in these forums is not acceptable behavior. Your actions have irritated numerous people, and you can consider this a warning. Please, try to enjoy the games without discouraging other people's enjoyment of them. Thank you.]

#12 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

In this sticky thread, we read the following (very interesting) rule on how to behave on a forum:

"4. Treat everyone (users or not) with respect, while still being able to disagree with their ideas."

Hence, words as "stupid" / "retarded" / "hate me but learn how to use your brain" and so on are in contraddiction with this rule. People have the right to come here and ask about doubts, rules, odd gaming situation and so on. Sometimes the questions could seem stupid, but most of the time are not. Some of the users are not English native speakers, some others might play a translated edition of the game, some others might just have some doubts and want a confirmation from people more expert on the subject. But regardless of the reasons for their asking, they have the RIGHT to ask.

I'd rather prefer having 100 "easy" questions to answers and knowing that with my help some people will have a greater time playing the game we all love rather than having a silent forum and tons of people unhappy with a game because they don't get some points.

Nobody is forcing us to answer; hence, if some questions bothers you, then simply skip them. Avi, Tibs, Jgt, Dj, myself, Walk, Grudunza, The Professor, and all the others, everyone here whenever has 5 minutes left answers *all* questions. I don't remember somebody asking something and not getting an answer in less than 2 hours. Which isn't that bad. If it's not your cup of tea, then leave, no probs, others will answer.

Not to mention that the server space hosting our conversation is not propriety of anyone but FFG; thus, no user can say what has to be written or what not. If something seems wrong, please, use the "report to the moderator" button, and explain the reasons of your notification.

And that's it. The questions Satanito asked have been answered (and I hope he saw the answers), now please, stop this flame.

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]

#13 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

• Members
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:49 AM

Trying ot make someome go deeper and grow smarter is showing respect to a human being. Encouraging ignorance is not. 

#14 satanito

satanito

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 01:19 PM

Thank you all from your answers, especially Julia for her kind words. For me is just a game i enjoy a lot playing with friends, if anyone wants to rant, vent frustrations or insult here, be my guest: better to do it in a forum that eventually will swallow all words into nothingness that in the world outside.

Another question:

1) Got this encounter and had a discussion about semantics with my players: "The Order of the Silver Twilight casts a banishment spell in their monthly ceremony. Spend 1 Sanity to make a Luck (-1) check. If you pass, claim any one monster on the board as a trophy. If you fail, nothing happens." 

So can this be used against the dunwich horror? the problem is the "any one" monster, because it sounds like an exception to the not claim spawn monsters.

Thanks!!!

#15 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 4,562 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:20 PM

No, the Dunwich Horror is a spawn monster, and the rules for spawn monsters specify that they may never be taken as trophies.

The main reason why spawn monsters have that restriction is because they're critical to specific mechanics and can't be taken out of their regular on-board/off-board routine. If the Horror could be taken as a trophy, then what would happen when the DH track filled? Likewise with Nyogtha's tentacle (though it is of course never on the board).

#16 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:18 AM

Tibs said:

Clearly, you don't get it. You keep coming back to the forums and we keep giving you another chance, but you just don't learn.

Giving the correct answer is one thing, but you completely fail to exhibit civility. It is possible to answer someone's question without being rude. FFG's forums are a community, so if you can't answer without being rude, then just don't answer.

Exactly.  Thanks for covering it this time, Tibs.

#17 jgt7771

jgt7771

Saving the world from cosmic evil since 2006

• Members
  • 1,410 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 04:40 AM

"....I sense something; a presence I've not felt since... "

What was that noise?

#18 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

heeee's baaaaaackk!!!

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#19 The Professor

The Professor

• Members
  • 1,290 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

Julia,

Thank you for including me in your response.  If not for this forum (and our colleagues at BGG), we would probably all have greater challenges playing this game.

The Professor

The Professor

http://crafthulhu.squarespace.com

#20 Julia

Julia

• Members
  • 6,114 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:01 AM

The Professor said:

Julia,

Thank you for including me in your response.  If not for this forum (and our colleagues at BGG), we would probably all have greater challenges playing this game.

The Professor

That's very true :-) these forums teach about gaming (and other things) more than any rulebook :-)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS