Clock strikes Midnight affect

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Black Cavalier

Black Cavalier

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:26 PM

Is the affect of the clock striking midnight completely random?  Reading the actual dice game rules, it sounds like the affect is selected from a card deck.  (I've only play the phone game version).

Sometimes it's a monster, some times it's doom token, every once in a while, there's no affect.  But my last game, I was ahead 8-2, & I got a +3 doom token midnight affect.  I'd never seen 3 tokens gained at once.  So I guessed the big jump was due to my being so far ahead.

Also, when looking at Azathoth's card info, the doom token tracker has alternating doom token & monster symbols on it.  So I kind of thought that kind of indicated when a monster would appear.  But it this hasn't always seemed to be the case.

Finally, the clock advances once with every investigator's turn, right?  So since the phone game is hardcoded to have 4 investigators & there's 4 clock positions, then midnight will always fall at the end of the 4th investigator's turn, right?  Assuming none have died?  Midnight's always seemed to be  a bit variable to me, but maybe it's just my perception.

#2 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 2,009 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:55 AM

I think the +3 doomers are random - unless there's a bit of AI built in, I've had games with none, games with 2 in the first 5 turns.

The clock strikes after 4 turns so 1 investigator goes 4 times then "dong" or 2 go 2 times each and then, or 4 go once each.  The timing will move around among them if you play 3, or whenver a "clock advances" effect is triggered (defeat a dimensional stalker other than with a Flute of the Outer Gods or similar monster nerfer).  It's nice to have "just before midnight" turn be something like taking on an outer world as it sucks to close a regular location and have a new one open with a Midnight effect immediately (some want that removed from game, myself it's part of difficulty so I'm fine with it).

I too have noticed the Azathoth track flags for monsters appearing but never really tracked "is that happening as it predicts"

#3 stolen73

stolen73

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:14 AM

I've been wondering the same thing too. Seems random. Would be nice to know the answer.

#4 MeSako

MeSako

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hello..
Hope I can be of help on my first post here :)

These are all observations I've made playing the app.. I have never played the board game.

First of, when the clock strike midnight, a few effects can happen:

1 Doom (Common)
2 Doom
3 Doom (Rare)

1 Monster
2 Monsters

1 Monster and 1 Doom

One of these effects are chosen randomly at every midnight, with no regard to the doom track on Azathoth card.

The doom track is made up of two symbols, blank and monsters.
Whenever a doom is recived  and it appears on a blank spot, nothing happens, but when a doom appears on a spot with a monster symbol, a monster appears on the board.

So with that in mind, whenever you recive doom, a monster may appear, depending on how the next spot on the doom track looks like..
Even efter an adventure that has a doom as a punishment for fail (or succes as som adventures have..).

As an example for a midnight:
The next spot on the doom track is empty, but the one after that has a monster.
The random effect shows 2 doom, and thus 2 doom are added to the doom track.
The first one does nothing, but the second one adds a monster to the board.

#5 stolen73

stolen73

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 06:16 AM

Thanks! This was very helpful. So I guess the outcome at mid-night is completely random.

#6 coriolis

coriolis

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 07:05 AM

I've only started playing yesterday, so I haven't played enough to be able to confirm 100%, but I think the number of doom tokens you get corresponds to the number of monsters on the board.

There is a similar rule in Arkham Horror ("Monster Surges", I believe), which is what made me think of it. There is no mention of it in the help files, tutorial, or FAQ though, so I could be wrong.

#7 MeSako

MeSako

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:18 AM

coriolis said:

I've only started playing yesterday, so I haven't played enough to be able to confirm 100%, but I think the number of doom tokens you get corresponds to the number of monsters on the board.

There is a similar rule in Arkham Horror ("Monster Surges", I believe), which is what made me think of it. There is no mention of it in the help files, tutorial, or FAQ though, so I could be wrong.

Hmm.. this deserves to be tested.. I will come back when I have done so..

#8 MeSako

MeSako

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:53 AM

I can se no pattern at all to the doom tokens..
I get both 1, 2, 3 and even 0 no matter what number of monsters I have in play..
I eve looked at the number of locations with terror effects, and that does not affect it either..

#9 stolen73

stolen73

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:06 AM

Thanks for testing and getting back to us :)

#10 Rodzilla68

Rodzilla68

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

I wonder what the worst possible midnight effect is (taking into consideration what's on the board)?  I just had the clock strike midnight and when all was said and done, I ended up with doom+4 and 3 monsters summoned.  Ouch.

#11 echo2112

echo2112

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

If the doom effect is random, I want my money back. 

Every single game I play against Azathoth, I get 3 doom tokens. Every. Single. Time. Well, that isn't true, the last game, I had a midnight effect area show up right as the clock went to midnight. So I got 5 doom tokens that turn. And 2 monsters.

I can't beat the damn game unless I am playing against Yig. I am really starting to hate the game. I don't want to. I want to feel challenged of course. But when I get at least 3 doom tokens at midnight, plus the odd one thrown in for failing missions, the game last 3 or 4 turns, and then I am done. And I am lucky if I have gotten 5 or 6 elder signs. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS