Photo

Looking for some tips, regarding gear, exp, infamy and corruption!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:12 AM

Hi, I'm about to get my first time as GM and hopefully first proper 40k RPG going. We were close last year but then one guy moved due to work so we  got stuck with too few. However, as I'm GM and writing down the first session. The scenario will be as follows: The PC's have been captured by chaos pirates and are currently in a cell on a prison barge (tips regarding size etc would be nice, figuring quite large) hovering towards the raiders main base.

They'll be locked in the cell, I've made about 5 different ways to get out of the cell using a variety of skills.A small combat outside to get them used to some of the combat rules (they'll have to fight unarmed). Weapons will most likely be basic melee weapons and snub pistols. Might give the CSM a negative modifier due to the small size.

Then they're pretty much free to do what they want, but I'm betting they'll try to get to the armory to retrieve their weapons and armor. Again, multiple ways of doing it but straight out combat will be...discouraged.

And then there's several other locations they can go to, such as trying to disable or at least slow down the prison barge (if they take too long the barge will reach the compound). This is to show them that there will be occasions when time is of the essence and basically they can't do a skill check for 2 hours (in game) without some sort of consequence.

The end scenarios I see happening: Taking over the skimmer, which crashes, leaving them with a base of sorts filled with prisoners who might join them (infamy) and be the basis for minions should they take any. It will also give them something to work towards, since they basically will have their own gang.

Crashing the skimmer, same deal as above.

Ditching the skimmer, should things go bad they might find a suitable location to jump off and make their escape which will leave them in the wasteland. Might give them a nice survival encounter and possible meet a wastelander gang, giving them a possibility to join them.

Into the compound: the leader will most likely be very impressed with them making their escape, killing quite a few of his men and would most likely want to have them in his gang. Which opens up a whole can of fun. Everything from joining raids after awhile or even trying to usurp the clan.

Exp will be given as follows: every scenario will be given a baseline exp, a guideline from someone with experience would be nice, pluss bonus for being imaginetive. They might fail the roll, but if they try something new and interesting I feel they should be rewarded. Diceroll or no.

Infamy: Same as exp, however the choices must be a way that builds their reputation, gives them "loot" or establishes contacts that can help them.

Corruption: Will be given out if they experience anything warp related.

However, the major problem I have with all 3 is the amount I should give, any tips? 

Finaly question, that was brought up by one of the players made me thing: What about items and armour that drop? How do you solve this? If I hand a bad guy a weapon or armour, how am I to keep the players from obtaining it? Or should they simply get it?

#2 Zarkov N

Zarkov N

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Experience is easy.  The book recommends about 500 per four hour session, but feel free to cut that down a little if you don't do four hours, or if they do four hours but goof about.  Equally, feel free to drop a little more on them if they rock their characters, advance their personal and group objectives, and accomplish the goals of the scenario.  Experience is all about pacing, and it's a long, dangerous road to the top, so don't sweat it.

Corruption, well, it happens when it happens.  In your quick write-up of the scenario, your own personal "Cliff's Notes" version, bullet point one or two potential instances where Corruption can be gained.  Remember, when Corruption hits 100 it's judgement time for the character, so don't worry about rushing it at this point.

Infamy for this scenario should be pretty light.  Maybe 3, maybe one more if they manage to obtain significant resources or have a decent impact on the local setting.  Part of the reason is simply escaping with their lives isn't a big step towards forging a badass rep (but it is a step), and fighting pirates also isn't a big step (but destroying them might be).  Make them work for their infamy.

Now, gear!  Gear is fun!  Arm your enemies sparingly.  Give them poor quality equipment, if you like.  Feel free to write off 25% of anything after a fight - stray bullets and bolt shells will wreck things, even in a melee there's all manner of things that can happen to break stuff.  Armour will tend to get the worst of it.  Track hit locations if you want - your Chaos Marines will mix and match parts to keep their power armour working.

Then again, that's assuming you want to restrict your warband's access to stuff.  Do you?  Perhaps.  Where will they put it all?  Do they carry everything on their backs, or do they have a base?  How secure is it?  How many followers do they have?  How trustworthy are they?  Do their enemies know where it is?  How well defended is it?  Et cetera.

If you're worried about giving them too many toys, play smarter, not harder.  Tucker's Kobolds.  If you have to point a lascannon at them, give it some pre-Heresy power supply that has three shots left and can't be recharged.  Unless your Heretek wants to spend a month tearing it apart and rebuilding it.

In general, relax.  Under-do rewards rather than over-do them.  They'll find ways to wring extra out of you.  They'll plan within their capabilities and act beyond them.  And having two dozen howling thugs with poor quality stub guns and sharp knives lets you send them in waves, make morale count, let the CSMs go nuts, but the loot is going to be pathetic compared to a half-dozen Imperial Guardsmen or a couple of Loyalist Marines.

#3 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:58 PM

Alright, exp is taken care of. 

I notice I didn't voice my concerns regarding corruption and infamy well enough in my original post but you adressed them just the same, kudos for that!

As corruption is a stacking ability that slowly drives the characters closer to warp pudding I wanted to get this right from the start, otherwise I would probably scare the bejesus out of them regarding the pace of the campaign.

Infamy and gear drops I was mostly worried dropping good weapons would make infamy seem somewhat obsolete, but I'll try to make it work. Had a discussion about one of the players and he said he wanted terminator armor (at some point, a guy has to have goals afterall) so I asked him how he indended to get that since you usually had to kill the user of the armor first, and that tends to  ruin armor. 
Him "so....we aim for the head!"
Me "you won't get a helmet then?"
Him "one of the badasses in 40k wear helmets, besides, i picked beauty, gotta show off the hotness!"

I honestly had to laugh a bit, but it's good to see them getting into their characters early. I'll have to work something out. Might make the first boss a nurgle champion (was either nurgle or khorne) just so they don't want to use his armor afterwards.

#4 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:59 AM

The introduction to your adventure would be well represented by the Broken Chains pre-written adventure available in the support section. I suggest you read through it at the very least to get some ideas on things you can throw at your characters to test their mettle.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#5 Reverend mort

Reverend mort

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

As an aside: A) you can get Terminator armor built. There are very competent forge worlds in the Vortex. B) shooting someone through the chest plate doesn't evaporate it. You get a few holes in your new suit of armor. You take said armor with a few hole to the nearest competent heretek, go "Fix this and I'll like you" and then they fix it, and you have your armor. It's far easier to patch a few holes in a suit of armor than it is to build a new one, same way beating out a dent takes far less time and skill than building a car.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about characters getting gear through good ol' fashioned lootin'. There is plenty of useful tools they're unlikely to loot from battle, and armor and weapons aren't game changers in BC. They make your violence competent characters (space marines) slightly more competent at violence, and they make your non-violence competent characters (Humans not dedicated to killing stuff) slightly less likely to die, and twice as likely to get shot at.

Which is apart from the annoyance and disbelief your players are gonna feel eventually, if all their dead enemies gear constantly breaks upon death.

#6 Ghaundan

Ghaundan

• Members
  • 478 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hi,

first of all i'm terribly sorry for the late reply. Been busy with work, vacation plans, girl and most importantly our first Black Crusade session! We've had fun, 3 players and me as GM with another man who's gone sorcerer who wants to try as well later on. We've already played Broken Chains so they've gotten a good feel for it.

First session was rather short, I focused on teaching them skill tests, opposed tests and some combat. Some unarmed and grappling for now, but next time I'll try to add maps (so everyone is sure where everything they can see is in comparison to eachother). Getting their weapons and armor, so a heavy flamer, bolters and melee weapons will be brought into the fray.

I also have made some interesting characters for them to meet to teach them not to try and kill everything they meet, and also introduce ways to earn extra infamy (won't be easy), gaining connections to do various things like cybernetics and also introduce them to the corrupting touch of the warp.

Can terminator armor be built? The fluff I've read (mostly SM centered) terminator armor is no longer possible to manufacture? Or at least so difficult only the most technically able forgeworlds are able to produce them.

Alright, I'll try to find a good balance between breaking and not breaking with the gear then :)

#7 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:19 PM

The fluff is somewhat revised in FFG stuff. Terminator armor can be built, but can't be manufactured in bulk [meaning it is isn't a practical option to arm a chapter of space marines.] In fact, building a set takes years, decades even. It is almost always better to just get an old set of armor and fix it up if you need to. There are reasons to build a new set, like trying to intimidate and impress with your power and wealth. Or just because an old set isn't available. I like this version better than 'can't be done.' It gives everyone a lot more space to play with.

#8 Cthulhutech

Cthulhutech

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:37 AM

Ghaundan said:

Infamy and gear drops I was mostly worried dropping good weapons would make infamy seem somewhat obsolete, but I'll try to make it work. Had a discussion about one of the players and he said he wanted terminator armor (at some point, a guy has to have goals afterall) so I asked him how he indended to get that since you usually had to kill the user of the armor first, and that tends to  ruin armor. 
Him "so....we aim for the head!"
Me "you won't get a helmet then?"
Him "one of the badasses in 40k wear helmets, besides, i picked beauty, gotta show off the hotness!"

Lucky you, your players only asked for Terminator Armor.

Mine asked for a full on Warlord Battle Titan!

#9 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

• Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:51 PM

Sounds like you have an opportunity to make your players very happy and then very sad. Very sad indeed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS