• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 oldgoldwulf

oldgoldwulf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Hello all...

I'm an avid WFRP gamer living in the UK.... i've always loved the game and have played & GM'd both 1st and 2nd editions since it's inception back in '87.

I purchased the core set back in September and since then i've been greedily devouring all of the expansions one by one.

Now even though i'm a bit of an old-school WFRP'er - I totally love 3rd edition, and I think i've enthused about it so much that i've sold the idea to my regular group of four gaming friends.

However - here lies the problem.... I only have the dice that come with the core set.

FFG appear to be out of stock for the DIce Accessory pack, and have been for some time..... 

.... and over here in the UK all stock has been sold a my local FLGS, and all the usual online distributors are saying Out of Stock also.

Any idea of a solution..??

Does anyone know if FFG likely to be re-stocking this product..??

Does anyone know where I can get several packs from a US store at a competitive price, taking into account international shipping fees.

I know one of my friends has the iPhone app - which is useful - but I know the rest of the group will want to own a set of dice each.

Many thanks for your help! 

OGW. 

#2 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Not really an answer to your question but perhaps a more practical solution...

I've found in our games the players do not have their own dice pools.  Instead we have one pile of dice which players pull from to generate their pools as needed and they toss them back into the pile when finished. I own the dice from the Core Box and one Expansion Pack and it has suited us very well (I know you only have the core dice but that should still serve you better than you think).

In some games we have had the GM use the iPhone/iPad application and the PCs use the dice pile (since reaching over your GM screen can be a pain.

Gitzman

#3 oldgoldwulf

oldgoldwulf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Many thanks Gitzman! (I'm greatly enjoying Reckless Dice sir... keep up the great work..!!)  

That does indeed make me feel a little better about pushing on with my campaign.

I will probably purchase the Games-masters Vault actually - I have just noticed that it includes 12 extra dice - so that will probably suffice. 

Would be interested to know if FFG intend to re-stock the Dice pack though.... 

Thanks again... OGW. 

#4 New Zombie

New Zombie

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

we have the 3 players and a GM. the dice sit in the middle of the table and all players help each other construct the pools, describing the source of each dice as they do it. then we all collaborate on the narrative of the dice roll.

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

I had each of the players pony up the money for an extra set (each) and they go into a couple community pools.  I also purchased some back in the day.

#6 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 325 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:50 PM

Depending on the number of people in your group, I would go with the above suggestions. Purchase a GM's vault for the extra set and add it to the community pool of dice. The GM can use an online dice roller (which you can find HERE) or the iPhone app....also I think there may be an Android app.

#7 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:35 PM

The iPhone app (WFRP Toolkit) is a pretty horrible solution.  

It does not reroll automatically (when appropriate), it does not display net results, nor even list all results (you simply get die faces scattered about your screen), and you have to physically shake your device (iPhone/iPad).  It's also not intuitive you use like an app should be.

Utter rubbish, as those across the pond would say.

#8 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:53 PM

bigity said:

The iPhone app (WFRP Toolkit) is a pretty horrible solution.  

It does not reroll automatically (when appropriate), it does not display net results, nor even list all results (you simply get die faces scattered about your screen), and you have to physically shake your device (iPhone/iPad).  It's also not intuitive you use like an app should be.

Utter rubbish, as those across the pond would say.

[/QUOTE

To get a list of results hold two fingers onto the screen after rolling; it doesn't give you need results admittedly.

#9 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:59 PM

In our group we seem to have an adaquite supply of dice - but otherwise it should be a simple matter to improvise something along the lines below:

for fortune / misfortune & expertise dice its pretty simple just using regular d6 dice - ie. buy a few appropriately coloured d6 optionally use a magic marker to blank out or mark the symbols ...

* Fortune dice 1-3 blank, 4-5 success, 6 boon

* Misfortune dice 1 bane, 2-3 challange, 4-6 blank

* Expertise dice 1 blank, 2-4 success, 5 success+reroll, 6 sigmars comet

... the reckless & conservative dice are a bit more complex ofcause ...

#10 Nisses

Nisses

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:03 PM

Doc Cthulhu had/has a tutorial somewhere I believe about making your own dice. 
Since FFG uses normal d10s, you could always make some of your own.

I'll let him post the exact link though (mostly, cause I can't find it :) )

#11 oldgoldwulf

oldgoldwulf

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 01:28 AM

GoblynKing said:

Depending on the number of people in your group, I would go with the above suggestions. Purchase a GM's vault for the extra set and add it to the community pool of dice. The GM can use an online dice roller (which you can find HERE) or the iPhone app....also I think there may be an Android app.

Thank you GoblynKing - I had no idea that there was an online dice roller available - I can easily use that. 

#12 Vuriche

Vuriche

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

Is there any hope of getting a reply from FFG on when they plan to make this product available once more?

For me, the alternatives of converting normal dice and/or using computer aids just don't fly, my group and I want, nay, crave the look and feel of the real thing rolling across the table and we need more of them.

#13 Crazy Aido

Crazy Aido

• Members
  • 484 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:40 PM

There are some companies out there that print their own dice...

#14 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:40 AM

I think FFG need to come up with a way of making a range of distinctive versions of these dice that would appeal to players.  At the moment players don't want to buy their own dice because they will tend to get lost in among the rest (because they all look the same).  Obviously because the custom dice are color coded then the way of differentiating the set of dice would have to be more creative.  By that I mean the misfortune dice are defined a a black six sided dice so producing clear gem version of this dice is not really an option.  Maybe the use of colored vertices or embedded glitter, swirls of other color etc would be an option?  I am sure that there is a revenue stream here waiting to be exploited.

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#15 Boehm

Boehm

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Captain Fluffy said:

I think FFG need to come up with a way of making a range of distinctive versions of these dice that would appeal to players.  At the moment players don't want to buy their own dice because they will tend to get lost in among the rest (because they all look the same).  Obviously because the custom dice are color coded then the way of differentiating the set of dice would have to be more creative.  By that I mean the misfortune dice are defined a a black six sided dice so producing clear gem version of this dice is not really an option.  Maybe the use of colored vertices or embedded glitter, swirls of other color etc would be an option?  I am sure that there is a revenue stream here waiting to be exploited.

How difficult is it to just write down how many dice you brought to the game - and then take the same when you pack up?? 

#16 Nisses

Nisses

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

I've since coded my own little app for Android that lets you build a dicepool and gives you net results (no animation or anything). 

if I cn do that, I don't think anybody else wil fail either :)

As GM, I use the app, and we've got 2 sets of dice for the players that are used as a community pool. With 4 players, this is plenty.

#17 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,068 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

Considering how much a GM has to spend for this   game    ,  I don't find it unreasonable to ask players to try to round up sets of dice for themselves.

There are dice packs available at multiple online sites.

There are also basic computer programs that will do the same thing :)

As a last resort one could purchase blank dice and sticker or marker them.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS