Grim Reaper IS Fate

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 endgame

endgame

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:05 AM

It's my interpretation of the rules that the Grim Reaper simply is fate, i.e. no evading it, no stopping it, no magic against it, no fate rolls; when he comes, he comes, roll the die and face the inevitable. I've seen a couple of house rules mentioned, but are we in agreement that he exists with the sole purpose of determining a certain fate with NO intervention? To me, this seems only fair and logical. Well, at least as far as logic goes with imaginary playing pieces! Ha!

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

endgame said:

It's my interpretation of the rules that the Grim Reaper simply is fate, i.e. no evading it, no stopping it, no magic against it, no fate rolls; when he comes, he comes, roll the die and face the inevitable. I've seen a couple of house rules mentioned, but are we in agreement that he exists with the sole purpose of determining a certain fate with NO intervention? To me, this seems only fair and logical. Well, at least as far as logic goes with imaginary playing pieces! Ha!

Officially you can pay fate to reroll the die when the Reaper visits your character. However try these rules out:

ALTERNATIVE RULES

If players want to use any of the rules discussed here, they should make sure that everyone understands and agrees to the rules before the game begins.

MOVING THE REAPER

This alternative rule is for players who prefer more options for moving the Grim Reaper. In addition to the Reaper moving when a player rolls a "1" for his move, Death also moves when a player rolls a "1" at any stage during the game (battle, psychic combat, Spells, etc.). However the Reaper may only move once per turn. (If two players roll a "1" during battle with each other, the attacking player has the option of moving the Reaper first of all!) All other rules governing the Grim Reaper's movement remain in effect.

LANDING ON THE REAPER

Any character who lands on the Grim Reaper's space may choose to encounter the Reaper instead of encountering the space or another character in the space.

FATELESS REAPER

Whenever a player rolls one die and consults the chart on the Grim Reaper card, he may not pay a fate to reroll the die!

Regards,

Elliott.

#3 Stretchycheese

Stretchycheese

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:43 AM

I'm fine with using fate rolls with the Reaper in our games. I find that it adds another layer of strategy. With the Reaper lurking about, players have a strong incentive not to squander their fate points. This is especially true for good characters since they cannot replenish their fate points at the Graveyard like neutral and evil characters.

#4 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

Stretchycheese said:

I'm fine with using fate rolls with the Reaper in our games. I find that it adds another layer of strategy. With the Reaper lurking about, players have a strong incentive not to squander their fate points. This is especially true for good characters since they cannot replenish their fate points at the Graveyard like neutral and evil characters.

True, but even with fate, it's possible to roll a 1 twice!

#5 Griever_PL

Griever_PL

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:04 PM

I was just going through the forums to find some clarifications. Wondering if there was anything our group was playing incorrectly. So far, so good.

When reading the above posts I just had to share the following story:

We were playing as a group of 5. The second player and the third both rolled 1 for the move, so the Reaper started moving quite quickly. he landed on the 5th player's spot. So, a little surprised, they guy rolls the dice: 1(!). "Wow!" he says, "That's very f***ing funny, guys!". Spends 1 fate when we all suddenly realise he can actually roll 1 again!

We start shouting and laughing "Yeah, do iiiiiiit!" 

The room went quiet only after he rolled 1 again.

So far it has been the only time I've seen someone die before they actually moved.

When one dies, we don't put the character physically on the board until the start of his new turn. Since that incident we discussed an idea of doing the same at the start (put your character on the board only when you actually start) but quickly ditched it. We want to be able to cast spells on each other and attack each other from the start. And let's be honest… how often will the above happen?!

#6 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

I've seen 1's rolled in succession quite often in our games. Maybe Talisman's dice are weighted? Either way, this always occurs during the most critical rolls. With Reaper or elsewhere. :D

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS