Magic Items...er um I mean Archeotech

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ale Golem

Ale Golem

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Let's see all of the wonderful Archeotech you've all dreamed up.

#2 Gregorius21778

Gregorius21778

• Members
  • 2,693 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:05 AM

Well, how about his old topic?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efpag=0&efid=159&efcid=3&efidt=354998

#3 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

Ale Golem said:

Let's see all of the wonderful Archeotech you've all dreamed up.

Come on, you can't put something like that out there without putting something up yourself.  Let's see some of the Archaeotech you've dreamed up.

Archaeotech Combat Suit

This suit of power armour appears to be a streamlined suit of carapace capable of flight using electromagnetic gravitic technology.  It is fully enviromentally sealed and has all the features of normal power armour (with auspex, photovisor etc).  It comes equiped with a near sentient on board 'system manager'  which can take control instead of the pilot should that be necessary.  Power supply is effectively unlimited.  It has a built in medikit (or better) which the system operates so is effective if the wearer is unconscious and can sever/cauterise dismembered limbs incluing the head to save the wearer in the event of massive injuries.  Cameleoline coating and a force field come built in as standard.  It also features a number of on board weapons (e.g. shoulder mounted hellgun, forearm micro missiles, wide spread maser...go nuts here) and the system can take one independent attack each round at a BS of 45 in addition to those of the wearer.

Powerful? Yeah, but then I've read a lot of Iian M. Banks, and plenty of these things get wasted in his books.

#4 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 12:12 PM

Really? Reading that my first thought wasn't a Banks/Culture-style FYT suit, but rather Iron Man.

My own personal favourite was a combination, really: a (barely) man-portable hololithic-interface cogitator capable of accurately giving your absolute position without re-calibration for each planet/ship (and by absolute, I mean Total Perspective Vortex scale holo, with a tiny, tiny dot that you can zoom in towards to eventually see the label "You Are Here"), and a built-into-a-hollowed-out-dwarf-planet teleportarium with an interstellar range sitting out in the deep void between the stars. Feed the teleporter sufficiently accurate positional data/target co-ordinates, and it could send you across the galaxy with better than pinpoint accuracy.
Couldn't beam them back, of course... there was a wonderful moment when they realised they'd just beamed themselves into a sealed cavern, on the other side of the sector from their ship and lackeys, with no way of contacting anyone outside, and no supplies. Fortunately for them, said cavern did have a working STConstructor with a template for a high-power vox. Otherwise they'd have really have been screwed.

There is no right, and no wrong, but having the bigger stick makes it so...

#5 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 09:41 PM

Very nice item Alasseo, I like the cut of your jib.

Iron Man huh?  Didn't see it myself, I can't imagine Stark building in devices which cut bits of him off, he is far too vain, but agian, I like your thinking.

Now FYT Suit?  If I remember correctly Zakalwe called it his '**** You Too' suit didn't he? Maybe I'm making that up, maybe it was Sma, but I seem to recall it was when he was going to retrieve the old politico in UOW.

Care to take a go at statting a Knife Missle for 40K?  I thought about it, but then hesitated.  Do you think a knife missle could one-shot a Space Marine?  How good a piece of Archaeotech would that be for an undecover Inquisitor.

#6 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:07 AM

It's first referred to as a "serious FYT suit", but then Sma asks what that stands for, and either Zakalwe or Skaffen-Amtiskaw provides the profanity-laden expansion (can't remember which, been years since I read Use of Weapons).

A knife missile? Hmm. First blush approximation would be a best-quality combat servo-skull fitted with a power weapon of some sort. I'd have to have a serious shufti through books and work on it.

#7 professor_kylan

professor_kylan

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

I do love throwing these around:

*A mirror that when held up to a subject highlights all injuries they have, whether internal, external or genetic.

*A chainsword that has variable teeth that can change size, shape and texture. While this doesn't appear to deal additional damage, it DOES mean the grate and squeals of the teeth against armour, flesh and bone are actually modulated to play a musical overture that was popular during the Long Night.

*A scrying glass that can be directed to see anywhere within twenty yards at any time in the last fifteen minutes.

*A perfect cube that appears to have seven sides. This abomination of geometry is actually a hideously complicated, but astonishingly detailed, warp map that is almost completely useless due to being some twenty millenia out of date. It may show ancient cache worlds that may contain further archeotech devices, however.

*A box containing seven grenades that look similar to vortex grenades in function. They actually contain miniaturised wormhole generators - when one grenade is thrown, it opens a gate to any other thrown grenade. Three of the original set have already been activated, and may have been activated somewhere dangerous.

*A chronological displacement field. A force field that detects incoming weapon fire and subjects the shot to a time lag of several millenia. Las bolts disperse, other weapons bleed off all their kinetic energy. Oddly, this device doesn't seem to work against organic weapons, and the outer casing has clearly been scorched with some form of bio-acid.

*An advanced combat robot with a Cathayan Room neural implant. While not being an Abominable Intelligence, it is able to fool many who might think so with its ability to react to stimuli. THe Adeptus mechanicus will almost certainly want to confiscate this device [Note: Using the phrase Chinese Room just isn't 40k enough, so Cathayan room it is :P]

#8 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

Some ideas i'm literally coming up with off the top of my head right now:

*Valentine pattern omni-chroma hair implants - A half-action from user can adjust the colour of their implanted hair.

*Weapon upgrade for any melee, pistol or basic weapon - a combination of pressure plates and switches must be activated in the correct sequence or the weapon will not only not activate for the user but will also inject a toxin covered mono-filament into the palm of their hand.

*An ornate helmet of brass and copper wiring with a set of heavy, crystal lenses built into it - the helmet has receptors that can detect weakness in the barriers between the materium and immaterium realms, which then cause the crystal lenses to filter out any potential warp energy bleeding through. The system is itself powered by warp energy so seems inert for long ages at a time, but always works when it is needed.

*No-ospheric cortical implants - whilst incredibly disorienting, a trained user of this bulky cranial implant can summon up a hololithic overlay before their (and only their) eyes. This overlay traces the interactions of machine spirits in the locale and can be used for remote interfacing with suitably advanced devices. However the massively increased stream of data means that anyone without Mechanicus implants takes a level of fatigue for each hour (or part of) that it is used.

*Lathe liquid metal blade - a long blade, seemingly without a sharp edge. The metal of the blade is actually an advanced localised stasis field used to hold the super-dense liquid metal in place. Whilst not offering any increased penetration, the weapon's slashes and sweeps contain immense forced behind them. This weapon uses the damage listed for a standard sword and has the Concussive trait. A minimum strength bonus of 4 is needed to wield this heavy, yet short blade without penatly.

Just a few ideas there.

Only the insane have strength enough to prosper.

Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane.

#9 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

And some more ideas, this time for ship components.

Gravitic elevators: Of little practical use, these ornate, spacious tubes and tunnels connect the various decks and levels of more prestigious passenger vessels. Rather than a physical elevator or cart to move persons between areas, it uses localised anti-grav technology similar to that used in grav-chutes and jump-packs except on a larger scale. They improve crew morale by 1 point while taking up 1 point of space and 1 unit of power. Canny ship designers could create devious 1-way systems to funnel invaders however...

Dusk-pattern murder domes: This ship system consists of a number of glass-steel domes on the exterior of the ship. Using a combination of adamantium support struts, localized void shields and atmospheric fields these domes can be opened to the cold darkness of space. Once opened they can be used to simulate landing and take off in a number of environments, as well as troop deployment and training regimens. As each dome can be configured for a different environment this means that any troops being carried by the vessel can be trained to an excellent standard and get kept drilled and ready for duty. This system gives a +10 bonus to troops and their transport pilots' quality, uses 4 power and 4 space and can only be fitted on vessels of light cruiser size or bigger that also have other facilities for transport ships to dock (lighter bay, carrier deck etc).

i could go on and on for hours if i had the time, unfortunately i do not...

#10 Graf

Graf

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

My Deathwatch-Group's Light Cruiser was equipped with some archeotech that enables the ship to do warp-jumps right into gravitation areas, thus they can jump right next to planets. Unfortunately, nobody knows how to switch that nice gadget from "jump into gravitation-area" to "jump out of gravitation-area", so they can travel fast into trouble, but hardly out of it. 

#11 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:37 PM

Obviously that damn -10 to fine manipulation, from Power Armour gauntlets, is the cause.

Some damn idiot broke the switch and never told anyone!

#12 Hygric

Hygric

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Magic items?  Not archeotech per-se, but how about a version of the Emperor's Tarot that has effects based upon the card you draw, the Tarot of Many Things...

I'll get my coat...

#13 space blanket

space blanket

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 12:18 AM

love these threads, one idea i came up with was:

Quantum Bullet : This piece of Archeotech ammunition resizes to whatever weapon you are loading it into according to the alternate history that would allow it to do so, furthermore when fired it automatically selects the future trajectory that leads to the highest damage ( in game terms it deals max damage on the dice roll to the most vulnerable location on the enemy). use wisely

#14 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:35 PM

Kasatka said:

*An ornate helmet of brass and copper wiring with a set of heavy, crystal lenses built into it - the helmet has receptors that can detect weakness in the barriers between the materium and immaterium realms, which then cause the crystal lenses to filter out any potential warp energy bleeding through. The system is itself powered by warp energy so seems inert for long ages at a time, but always works when it is needed.

Peril-sensitive sunglasses? That turn black whenever the wearer might see something that would disturb him?

#15 Drhoz

Drhoz

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:38 PM

space blanket said:

Quantum Bullet : This piece of Archeotech ammunition resizes to whatever weapon you are loading it into according to the alternate history that would allow it to do so, furthermore when fired it automatically selects the future trajectory that leads to the highest damage ( in game terms it deals max damage on the dice roll to the most vulnerable location on the enemy). use wisely

Ah, a Kev fan    So, is the Imperium going to be invaded by the Yonker ****s from Splundig vurr Thrigg?

#16 Kasatka

Kasatka

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

Drhoz said:

Kasatka said:

Peril-sensitive sunglasses? That turn black whenever the wearer might see something that would disturb him?

Essentially, yes. Though if that's a reference to something i'm afraid i don't get it.

#17 Alasseo

Alasseo

• Members
  • 767 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 05:57 AM

It's a Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference

#18 Ale Golem

Ale Golem

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:35 PM

Stitch Armour

This ancient set of best craftsmanship flak armour predates even the earliest examples of true power armour, and is thought to be an early experiment in strength augmenting technology. Form fitting and comfortable, this armor bestows no penalty on the wearers Move Silently or Concealment tests and is outfitted with ablative plating on the chest, arms and legs. The armour gets its name from the fact that it visibly knits itself back together after combat. Ablative plating typically needs replacing after being damaged, this armour fully recovers the full 5 extra points to each location after every combat encounter. A small atomic pack at the base of the neck provides indefinite power to an inbuilt exoskeleton, granting +10 to the wearers strength.
The power source also provides two additional benefits, the first of which is fueling three magnetically affixed charge pack pouches. The pouches, when containing a drained charge pack, will fully charge it within 30 minutes. Finally there is a best craftsmanship power knife held in a magnetically locked shoulder sheath, this knife was crafted to accompany the armour and as such the third use of the power pack allows the wearer to use the Ferric Lure talent on the knife if thrown or dropped as a Reaction.

Guard Flak Armour (Archeotech/Best Craftsmanship): Location - Arms, Chest, Legs
                                                                                                      AP - 10 (Ablative Plating)
                                                                                                      Weight - 5.5 Kg
                                                                                                      Availability - Unique
Weapon/Augmented Systems - Power Knife
                                                           Evercharge pouches
                                                           +10 Strength

#19 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Ale Golem said:

Stitch Armour

This ancient set of best craftsmanship flak armour predates even the earliest examples of true power armour, and is thought to be an early experiment in strength augmenting technology. Form fitting and comfortable, this armor bestows no penalty on the wearers Move Silently or Concealment tests and is outfitted with ablative plating on the chest, arms and legs. The armour gets its name from the fact that it visibly knits itself back together after combat. Ablative plating typically needs replacing after being damaged, this armour fully recovers the full 5 extra points to each location after every combat encounter. A small atomic pack at the base of the neck provides indefinite power to an inbuilt exoskeleton, granting +10 to the wearers strength.
The power source also provides two additional benefits, the first of which is fueling three magnetically affixed charge pack pouches. The pouches, when containing a drained charge pack, will fully charge it within 30 minutes. Finally there is a best craftsmanship power knife held in a magnetically locked shoulder sheath, this knife was crafted to accompany the armour and as such the third use of the power pack allows the wearer to use the Ferric Lure talent on the knife if thrown or dropped as a Reaction.

Guard Flak Armour (Archeotech/Best Craftsmanship): Location - Arms, Chest, Legs
                                                                                                      AP - 10 (Ablative Plating)
                                                                                                      Weight - 5.5 Kg
                                                                                                      Availability - Unique
Weapon/Augmented Systems - Power Knife
                                                           Evercharge pouches
                                                           +10 Strength

Nice, I like it.  While it doesn't seem particlarly flashy it would be excellent on campaign.

#20 Zakalwe

Zakalwe

• Members
  • 531 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:52 PM

Alasseo said:

It's a Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy reference

Oh deary me, you had to go there, so what the heck...

S.E.P. Field Generator.

This fairly bulky item is usally affixed to ships engaged on clandestine missions that require them to land** Pepole getting close enough to see the ship must make a willpower save at -75.  If they fail, their mind tells them "that is Somebody Else's Problem" and they promptly forget about it.

I have one of these at work, I love the look of confusion when I tell someone "I'm afraid that's an S.E.P".

**  Or when they just don't want to scare the locals, particlarly at cricket matches known as 'The Ashes'. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS