Black Crusade Binding Issue

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BrotherCaptainMagni

BrotherCaptainMagni

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:47 PM

Don't think this is a huge issue, but did anyone else have a copy of black crusade where the binding glue seemed weak or loose. And if so any suggestions how to go about fixing it.

#2 Jackal_Strain

Jackal_Strain

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 01:52 AM

Yes, my copy is looking as it's about to fall apart and I'm always extremely careful with my books. I've thought about contacting FFG about this, but haven't done so yet.

#3 AkumaKorgar

AkumaKorgar

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

Contacting FFG would be the way to go. Even if they can't offer any help, then at least you'll have found out.

#4 BrotherCaptainMagni

BrotherCaptainMagni

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:03 PM

At the numbers i'm reading thus far there's not that many people who have this binding issue like Jackal and I have mentioned. Probably close to a hundred views with only the poster of the thread and one other having the issue. My guess is that whoever put together the books let a couple of substandard bits through. My copy of rites of battle did have a wierd page-cut issue where two pages in the equipment section was still connected. My plan as of now is to send the book with my brother and see if he can find a book-repair place near him. He lives near Washington D.C. so I'm guessing he might have more luck than I do in my small town. This all being said I'm still going to be getting more and more of the Warhammer 40K RPG books. Next up. "Hostile Acquisitions."

#5 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 5,796 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

I've seen this happen with a great many large RPG books. My Dark Heresy book had this issue and so too my Pathfinder Core Rulebook. Really, considering the weight of the pages and the fact that they are not bound like textbooks (that would probably get way too expensive), I've come to expect the bindings to fail over time.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody.

#6 AkumaKorgar

AkumaKorgar

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:45 PM

White Wolf books were always really prone to this for me. So far I've been pretty lucky with FFG's books, though.

#7 theshadowduke

theshadowduke

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:13 PM

My copy has also begun to come apart.  Though no pages have fallen out yet, they are loose from their binding and sag if I hold the book up while reading.  It's a bit worrisome.

#8 Nimas

Nimas

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:59 AM

One member of our group picked up the book (I'd bought the online version), and after 1-2 weeks of not heavy reading at all its beginning to fall apart. Of course it does it with such terrible sounding noises too :(

#9 Bassemandrh

Bassemandrh

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 03:55 AM

I have this same issue, my pages have begun to come apart and most of the book isn't connected to the back(?)

#10 Jackal_Strain

Jackal_Strain

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

Maybe we should file a collective complaint to FFG? it would be very good pr for them if they handled this swiftly and with good service. Steve Jackson games had an issue with the first run of one the 4th edition gurps rulebooks, and they handle the amtter admirably.  Allt hey required you to do was to send an email with your adress and contact information and what pages was coming loose.

#11 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Jackal_Strain said:

Maybe we should file a collective complaint to FFG? it would be very good pr for them if they handled this swiftly and with good service. Steve Jackson games had an issue with the first run of one the 4th edition gurps rulebooks, and they handle the amtter admirably.  Allt hey required you to do was to send an email with your adress and contact information and what pages was coming loose.

No need to issue a 'collective complaint', or any kind of complain. Just do like FFG have always let people do, e-mail their customer service about it. Every time I've seen someone tell them about it, if it hasn't been that person's fault that the binding is breaking, FFG has replaced the book for nothing.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#12 BrotherCaptainMagni

BrotherCaptainMagni

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

The Question is whether or not FFG will replace copies of the book not purchased through their website. I got a new copy through amazon.com and I know that I didn't do anything that could have affected the binding. I in fact take great care of these books because of the money I've spent on them.

#13 BrotherCaptainMagni

BrotherCaptainMagni

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thank you for the information MILLANDSON. I've just emailed the customer service department explaining the situation. This won't keep me from purchasing more books of the Warhammer 40K RPG Lines. I'm at seven and counting.

#14 aliendieroller

aliendieroller

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

I recently got Deathwatch from Amazon.  After about an hour of reading it the pages sepparated  from cover.  It was just sitting on a desk, too.  No heavy use, though I have a lot of older game books that have seen very heavy use for decades and still have perfectly intact binding.  I've noticed this recently with a lot of rpg books.  It makes me a little leary of buying more hard bound books from FF.  And it's hard to convince my group to buy stuff when they see my book falling apart the day I get it.  It's too bad, too.  Content-wise, the game is really great.

I've emailed them about it, so I expect to hear back from them soon.  I'm sure it'll be sorted out in a way that makes me happy.

#15 MILLANDSON

MILLANDSON

Playtester

• Members
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

aliendieroller said:

I recently got Deathwatch from Amazon.  After about an hour of reading it the pages sepparated  from cover.  It was just sitting on a desk, too.  No heavy use, though I have a lot of older game books that have seen very heavy use for decades and still have perfectly intact binding.  I've noticed this recently with a lot of rpg books.  It makes me a little leary of buying more hard bound books from FF.  And it's hard to convince my group to buy stuff when they see my book falling apart the day I get it.  It's too bad, too.  Content-wise, the game is really great.

I've emailed them about it, so I expect to hear back from them soon.  I'm sure it'll be sorted out in a way that makes me happy.

That might also have to do with however Amazon were storing the book though, and given the lack of posts on this topic across the 40k RPG forums, it can't be that common an occurrence.

Still, they should be able to help you if you've sent an e-mail, they're usually pretty helpful.

~Yea, Tho I Walk Through The Valley Of The Shadow Of Death, I Shall Fear No Evil~

Posts/views/opinions are in no way representative of FFG, and are entirely my own.

#16 Brother Techmarine Harkus

Brother Techmarine Harkus

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:34 PM

I bought the book of the shelves of my local retailer. It started to fall apart to. Since I also bought the pdf I didn't use my book much. Still …

I got 2 other guys in my group who have the book and theirs start to fall apart too …

One even contactet FFG, but no answer so far …

#17 PnPgamer

PnPgamer

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:50 PM

FFG

Y U NO MAKE BOOKS DURABLE?

(I have this issue as well. It seems that every big rpg book tends to fall apart on its own heavy weight.)

#18 crisaron

crisaron

• Members
  • 858 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

I am religious with my books and this one is com,ing appart after a few months…

#19 DarkWinds

DarkWinds

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

My copy of Rogue Trader had this issue quite early on, I look after my books so this was quite annoying. However Dark Heresy (Black Library edition) is still perfectly fine despite being much older and much more heavily used. You can really tell the difference in the quality of the binding between Black Library and FFG copies. Can't comment on Black Crusade as I only have a digital copy.

DW

#20 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 06:02 AM

I have four copies of Warhammer Fantasy Role Play 1st Edition hardbacks, and only one of them has failed to have 300+ pages pull from the cover.
My Black Industries copy of the DH Core Rules has had no issues, yet my FFG copy has pulled from the spine, and all that keeps the pages in place are the cover pages (the sector maps, front and back) and the glue in the bindings. I dropped my Rogue Trader Core Rules down a flight of seventeen steps (and I virtually turned the air blue with my cursing as I watched it tumble), but other than some cuts and dings on the cover the spine is solid.

I haven't always treated my books like ancient relics from the days of the Great Crusade. There was a time that books would lay flat on the table for days at a time, or left with one side hanging free in one hand while the other rolled dice, and I even dropped my DMG on its spine once; which ripped the cover, but the pages stayed in and tight to the spine; and etc. That being the case, I still own the 1st Edition first-printing copies of The Dungeon Master's Guide, The Player's Handbook, The Unearthed Arcana, Monster Manuals 1 & 2, The Fiend Folio, and Deities & Demigods…and NONE of them have even had the glue pull away from the spine, even after first being used and abused for 6-8 years, then later stored in a plain cardboard box and moved from one place to another for the past 19 years. I was just in that box the other day looking for some old maps and play aids, and took a glance through them for nostalgia's sake, and they're still solid. All my friends' copies of The Unearthed Arcana fell right out of their covers…I guess I just got lucky there. Heck, even my 1st Edition Harnmaster rules, all three copies (binding-wise) are still in excellent condition. I dabbled in Earthdawn (1st Edition) for about two years, and had as much luck with those as I did with the WFRP. At one time, I owned every hardcover 2nd Edition AD&D book produced (though I ditched them all and gave up on D&D the moment I heard the first peep about 3rd Edition…), and they were put together VERY well. Very well, indeed.

TSR set the standards for book quality (for me, anyway). But as the times have changed, and certain production costs have become more and more prohibitive, many larger books have converted to soft covers (later printings of WFRP, even those done by Hogshead Publishing, were soft cover). Text books are a prime example. Money is shaved from somewhere. Now, based on my own experiences and knowing what I do regarding book production qualities, I still jumped at the chance to own hardcover printings of the Inquisitor's Handbook and Purge The Unclean, because I prefer hardcover. (As an aside, prices for those two items DID NOT increase when they went hardcover.) I own EVERY Warhammer 40K RPG book, whether it was produced by Black Industries or FFG. And I buy them ASAP after they drop. And I make far less than 20k per year, so it's not like I have a boatload of disposable income. But, quite frankly, if they switch to soft covers I may cease that practice. I don't give a damn how heavy the collection is. I have a very old Army communique satchel in which I carry the books to-and-from my games, and I just switch the sets depending on the game (DH vs. RT vs. DW vs. BC). ALL of my players do the same. We all make jokes about how heavy they are, but we don't change our habits. I view my collection as exactly that, a collection. Valued. Treasured. And hardcovers look great. If they switch to soft, I'll be less inclined to spend my money, and I'll spend it far slower, after lengthy consideration (as opposed to now, which is pretty much "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!").

I waited 20 years for a 40k RPG. Black Industries and FFG ended that wait. So I guess that means I'll be handling what I have like a relic from the days of the Great Crusade, and lovingly repairing those that need repairing. They deserve it. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS