Has anyone read Golem yet?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:02 AM

When Free Fall was released near the end of the summer, a number of reviews popped up (both here and on BGG). Golem was released almost two months ago, and it's been pretty quiet. 

Has anyone read this? Any thoughts on it? 

#2 rbelikov

rbelikov

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

Golem is pretty good. It is written entirely from a perspective of a bioroid, which gives it an unusual and unique style that is interesting (reminds me of "Flowers for Algernon"), but takes a bit of getting used to. It's much lighter on the science though than Freefall (I really enjoyed the quasi-technical expositions in Free Fall!) and psychologically darker. Themes and feel are rather similar to Robocop actually.

#3 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 02:10 AM

rbelikov said:

Golem is pretty good. It is written entirely from a perspective of a bioroid, which gives it an unusual and unique style that is interesting (reminds me of "Flowers for Algernon"), but takes a bit of getting used to. It's much lighter on the science though than Freefall (I really enjoyed the quasi-technical expositions in Free Fall!) and psychologically darker. Themes and feel are rather similar to Robocop actually.

Thanks, Rus. I appreciated your thoughts on Free Fall from a few months back. I liked Odom's writing from his work in the Shadowrun universe, so I'm pretty excited about this. 

#4 plimpington2

plimpington2

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

I have read both Freefall and Golem and thought both were worthwhile, though I was surprised to find that I liked Golem better.  Both books are written in a sort of workman-like style, but Freefall consisted largely of a noire detective novel that happened to have taken place many years in the future.  Technology here was just a backdrop to what what otherwise a conventional story.  Odem weaves the technology found in Golem into the main narrative as he takes the reader through what I gather will be an emergence of consciousness for the android (not a spoiler, as I think you reasonably gather as much from he blurb on the back cover).  As above, I agree that Golem is essentially a Robocop, though done a bit better.  Some of the conversations the android has (with other bots, for instance) are revelatory.  There is more to do here and I am looking forward to where Odem takes the series.  

Judd

#5 Atraangelis

Atraangelis

• Members
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:09 AM

I read Golem and have just started into Free Fall.

I was wondering when the Second and Third books for the Golem Series are comming out..

I felt Golem was pretty good, It reminded me of a Blade-Runner / Robocop hybred. The story was interesting to follow especialy form the perspective of a Cyborg. Although i would have found a way to yank them directives out.. Damn them..

#6 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, I just finally finished it recently and really enjoyed the novel. I appreciated Odom's attention to detail for some of the minor characters, and he took the story into some really interesting moral gray areas. I have the feeling the second and third books in the series won't be out any time soon, but hey - I can wait patiently. 

#7 pickle

pickle

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:57 PM

I recently picked up and read both of the Android novels. I felt both had a blade runner / Total Recall 2070 vibe to them. I can't wait for the next volume in this trilogy to be released. I found I had a hard time putting this novel in particular down when I needed to get some sleep. I had to know what happened next!

#8 d4rkwing

d4rkwing

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

I feel the same way. It took me slightly longer to get into Golem (than Freefall) but once I did it was harder to put down. Both books are excellent in my opinion. I feel like there's been a dearth of good sci-fi detective novels and this series seems to be filling the niche nicely.

#9 JosephCurwen

JosephCurwen

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 01:06 PM

Golem was good but the second book Mimic took it to a new level. The third one will be mindblowing if it's half as good as Mimic ends.

#10 BoardGames.BG

BoardGames.BG

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

IMO you just cannot separate them, and I found myself not enjoying the end of Mimic (a bit overstretched). I can't wait to read the third book (hopefully there would be Kindle edition from the start).

Both books are much better than Android Free Fall, and I cannot compare them to Strange Flesh as it has very different POV.

Edited by BoardGames.BG, 06 August 2013 - 11:40 PM.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS