The stones are in motion! The sleeper is about to wake.
I’m planning on running a converted doomstone campaign for my dwarf-only group as the setting seems most fitting.
So I’m starting this thread for additional input into the conversion into the 3rd Edition. Gallows has made a superb conversion guide for “The Thousand Thrones Campaign” which I will use as a reference. link: http://www.liberfanatica.net/TTT.html
The probes and rolls will be shamelessly copied by me. For the Adventure itself there need adjustments to be made.
There are several points:
1. The Doomstone Adventure offers a lot of money to find for the adventurers. My personal Gold 2nd to 3rd translation is by dividing it through 30. Even though sometimes they found 350 GCs which is 11,6 Gold in the new 3rd Gold currency. Quite too much for my liking. Also it breaks the suggested 65 silver of emirikols house rules which I find very sound. Emirikol has some suggestions to let them spend that much gold. Problem is that there aren’t any places to spend that much gold in the campaign. There is only a monastery and some villages.
2. No dwarf wizards in 3rd. So every spell like the magic barrier in the very first dungeon has to been converted.
3. Too much magic items. Potions of flight and scrolls of stuff. I’m not sure if this fits into my sight of the old world. And there are several magic items around, a super sword here, a gromril chainmail there. Again to high fantasy for my liking. Maybe it will be a rune weapon or a superior one with plus one blue or yellow dice. (See Liber Fanatica 8 for the expanded superior items). Also Gromril chainmail is impossible to build for these days dwarfs. Only in the time of the ancestor gods was it possible to bend Gromril into chainmail-rings.
4. The Doomstones itself: For the Campaign I am making adjustments for the stones itself. With the Action Spell Cards the PCs can gain access to powerful spells provided by the doomstones. In the old rules they get access to more powerful spells once they get more and more into the stones. So rules wise for the stone of fire I will simply give the player another spell card from the school of fire. The spells can been cast without power supply. I think I will use the tokens to tell how many hours the spell needs to recharge. Level 5 Spells will have drastic affects on the health of the caster. Chaos Stars while casting will cause some of the effects described in the rules. Actually the Chaos Star is most fitting.
5. No elemementals in 3rd Edition as far as I know. So some plot twists have to been changed.
6. Too much MOBs in the dungeons. I don’t want to make it a dungeon crawl adventure. The cool stuff about the doomstones campaign is the riddles put into cards and handouts that the adventurers should solve. Also 3rd edition fighting is dangerous. My Group has a first aid miner but no magic healing capability.