Photo

Dose this deck break Multiplayer? - Ziggy!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:16 AM

Been playing with a multiplayer deck I call Ziggy it is based on the "Nightmare Cycle" deck.. and it seams to compleatly break the game.. give it a shot and tell me what you think...

Ziggy's Mining Dust (Ziggy for Short) (Kaz)

3 Stand and Fight (x)
3 Gandalf's Search (x)
3 Brok Ironfist (6)
3 Beorn (6)
3 Grim Resolve (5)
3 Landroval (5)
3 Fortune or Fate (5)
3 We Do Not Sleep (5)
3 Beorn's Hospitality (5)
3 Gildor Inglorion (5)
3 Gandalf (5)
3 Radagast (5)
3 The Galadhrim's Greeting (3)
3 Zigil Miner (2)
3 Sneak Attack (3)
3 Dwarven Tomb (3)
2 Will of the West (1)
3 Parting Gifts (0)
1 Rumour from the Earth (0)

Heroes:
1 Eleanor
1 Dwalin
1 Bifur

Yeah... it dose what you are thinking.... The key cards are "Parting Gifts" / "Zigil Miner" / "Will of the West" / "Dwarven Tomb" / "Stand and Fight". The idea is for your draw engine to pull Ziggy into your had as fast as possible, if you get it in set up 6, then your laughing. The vast majority of cards in the deck are (5) cost, I put the costs in brackets after the card names in the list. You simple use Ziggy's ability and call 5 every time. You normally hit that. Soon you are rolling in resources, resources that you pile on a single hero. Then the goal is to use "Parting Gifts" to send mass resources to your mates side of the room, or simply pay for your out laddish cards. Use "Dwarven Tomb" to exhume will of the west so you always have one in hand. If you discard both of them, do not worry, you have 3 Tomb's to get one back. You can increase your odds by putting in 3. Your going to be discarding a lot of cards, so " Stand and Fight" will allow you to play from your yard.

And that is pretty much it.. very simple.. but SOOOOOooOOOOOooo broken. I transferred 38 resources to my mates in our first test game, and I also have all the big 5 cost boys on my table. I had a turn 1 game were my partner used 10 resources and emptied his hand onto the table. It is crazy. Think about a draw deck.. but being able to PLAY every card not just discard to fule protector.

There are some things the other deck needs to do, and one is to run songs. You need to place a tactic and leadership song on one of Ziggy's heroes. It also really helped for the 2nd player to run a draw engine to allow Ziggy to dig for its namesake card. Lastly, We ran the Dwarf God on the 2nd players team also played Protector on one of Ziggys Heroes so he could empty his had at every opportunity and cycle it back in with "Will of the West". If you get a "Will of the West" and 2 "Dwarven Tomb" in your hand.. your laughing.

Give it a go.. it is pretty fun, though kinda broken. Remember the key with this deck is to play form your YARD not your hand, as you want to be sending many of your resources to your partners deck, whom is running most of the "real" cards.

The deck needs some work, there is a balance between 4 and 5 cost cards that can be reached to make this deck more effective as most 5's are unique, still cards that used to seam useless like Beekeeper.. suddenly become awesome. Cast, +dmg to all / "Stand and Fight" + Beekeeper / Discard 1 dmg to all ... repeat

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:18 AM

booored said:

Been playing with a multiplayer deck I call Ziggy it is based on the nightmare "Cycle" deck.. and it seams to compleatly break the game.. give it a shot and tell me what you think...
Ziggy's Mining Dust (Ziggy for Short) (Kaz)

3 Stand and Fight (x)
3 Gandalf's Search (x)
3 Brok Ironfist (6)
3 Beorn (6)
3 Grim Resolve (5)
3 Landroval (5)
3 Fortune or Fate (5)
3 We Do Not Sleep (5)
3 Beorn's Hospitality (5)
3 Gildor Inglorion (5)
3 Gandalf (5)
3 Radagast (5)
3 The Galadhrim's Greeting (3)
3 Zigil Miner (2)
3 Sneak Attack (3)
3 Dwarven Tomb (3)
2 Will of the West (1)
3 Parting Gifts (0)
1 Rumour from the Earth (0)

Heroes:
1 Eleanor
1 Dwalin
1 Bifur

Yeah... it dose what you are thinking.... The key cards are "Parting Gifts" / "Zigil Miner" / "Will of the West" / "Dwarven Tomb" / "Stand and Fight". The idea is for your draw engine to pull Ziggy into your had as fast as possible, if you get it in set up 6, then your laughing. The vast majority of cards in the deck are (5) cost, I put the costs in brackets after the card names in the list. You simple use Ziggy's ability and call 5 every time. You normally hit that. Soon you are rolling in resources, resources that you pile on a single hero. Then the goal is to use "Parting Gifts" to send mass resources to your mates side of the room, or simply pay for your out laddish cards. Use "Dwarven Tomb" to exhume will of the west so you always have one in hand. If you discard both of them, do not worry, you have 3 Tomb's to get one back. You can increase your odds by putting in 3. Your going to be discarding a lot of cards, so " Stand and Fight" will allow you to play from your yard.

And that is pretty much it.. very simple.. but SOOOOOooOOOOOooo broken. I transferred 38 resources to my mates in our first test game, and I also have all the big 5 cost boys on my table. I had a turn 1 game were my partner used 10 resources and emptied his hand onto the table. It is crazy.

There are some things the other deck needs to do, and one is to run songs. You need to place a tactic and leadership song on one of Ziggy's heroes. It also really helped for the 2nd player to run a draw engine to allow Ziggy to dig for its namesake card. Lastly, We ran the Dwarf God on the 2nd players team also played Protector on one of Ziggys Heroes so he could empty his had at every opportunity and cycle it back in with "Will of the West". If you get a "Will of the West" and 2 "Dwarven Tomb" in your hand.. your laughing.

Give it a go.. it is pretty fun, though kinda broken. Remember the key with this deck is to play form your YARD not your hand, as you want to be sending many of your resources to your partners deck, whom is running most of the "real" cards.

The deck needs some work, there is a balance between 4 and 5 cost cards that can be reached to make this deck more effective as most 5's are unique, still cards that used to seam useless like Beekeeper.. suddenly become awesome. Cast, +dmg to all / "Stand and Fight" + Beekeeper / Discard 1 dmg to all ... repeat

how will this work solo....im guessing its still a pretty tight strategy? or am i missing something that makes solo different, also whats this dwarf god you keep refering to?

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

It is a multiplayer deck.. not a solo deck.

"People should be less concerned about whether they are being insulted and more concerned if it is the truth"

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:20 AM

booored said:

yes but im trying to figure if this idea will work solo...adapted of course

#5 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:26 AM

richsabre said:

booored said:

yes but im trying to figure if this idea will work solo

Well, it would take a lot of tooling. Though I think I could do it.. I'll do some tests for you if you like. The deck would be watered down as the inclusion of much needed cards would reduce the resource gain. Like adding songs, or other types of lower cost cards. Still it could be a extremely fast deck. Remember with enough resource gain and "Stand and Fight" you can splash allies with out songs.

I guess you would need it's own card draw as well as some kind of hero protection, so Frodo, Beravor/Bilbo and Elenore (I just can not live with out her control of treachery cards)

#6 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:28 AM

booored said:

richsabre said:

booored said:

yes but im trying to figure if this idea will work solo

Well, it would take a lot of tooling. Though I think I could do it.. I'll do some tests for you if you like. The deck would be watered down as the inclusion of much needed cards would reduce the resource gain. Like adding songs, or other types of lower cost cards. Still it could be a extremely fast deck. Remember with enough resource gain and "Stand and Fight" you can splash allies with out songs.

I guess you would need it's own card draw as well as some kind of hero protection, so Frodo, Beravor/Bilbo and Elenore (I just can not live with out her control of treachery cards)

cool...let me know what you come up with...i noticed it needed multiple core sets so i wont be able to try it

#7 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

oh yea. we own 5 between us.

#8 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:38 AM

booored said:

oh yea. we own 5 between us.

in that case i think the deck obviously relies on alot of core sets- well 3 for a soloer to get 3 copies of each unique/rare

also ill be interested to see what everyone makes of this and if it is so powerful then what restriction FFG will come up with, if any

#9 Valyrian Steel

Valyrian Steel

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

I have been seeing a few of these Zigil Miner decks that's claim to break the game popping up. I am having a hard time believing that these decks can give you resources fast enough to play enough cards to stabalize yourself if you have a tough beginning enounter deck draw (which happens in a good amount of games I have played). If you don't get the perfect combination, you basically can't do anything which doesn't seem all that great to me.

It definitely sounds like a fun idea to try though! I don't have enough core sets to make something like that but would love to hear about the success rate of this.

#10 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

It is defiantly a "joke" deck.. but you are drawing on average 7 resources a round... so it is pretty crazy.It is just for fun.

#11 SiCK_Boy

SiCK_Boy

• Members
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

I like the idea and am going to try it solo. I'd go with Eowyn, Frodo and Eleanor.

With Eowyn, you are able to discard and effectively make use of Stand and Fight (too bad it doesn't work on Gandalf).

Not sure about the 6-cost guys however. Since you want to call 5 with the Miner anyway, you could swap them for 3 Northern Tracker and maybe 3 Ancient Mathoms. Parting Gift can also be removed for Song of Kings as you will want to be able to sneak Gandalf in. I'd also remove Gandalf's Search and add Unexpected Courage instead. Rumours from the Earth becomes your 3rd Will of the West.

Obviously, playing a Dwarf character would allow you to use the new Belt for full-multicolor production, but you'd still need Song of Kings to play the Belt in the first place, so not 100 % sure...

The main challenge will be fighting. Too many early enemies will put pressure on you, but you can try to delay with Frodo not taking damage and ganging enemies.

#12 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

@booored:  dude, other than one minor glitch we caught a round later and sort of self-corrected, I just modified your deck and one of my hobbits and I beat the 7th level!  (I'd won solo, but we haven't won as a duo or trio yet.). Brought back two dead Heros, played all types of 4-5 cost allies.  The great round was when I got an extra 11 tokens and then reshuffled my deck with only three cards left.  I had gildor available to exhaust and was able to put brok in place of will of the west which I needed badly, and then "guessed" 6 for the first miner on the next round followed by a five for my second miner!  Thanks my friend!

#13 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:37 PM

Ps, I used Eleanor, beravor, and Dain.

#14 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

Yea it is pretty crazy.. .you get out 2 ziggys and you can pull 12 resources a turn above the 3 you normally get.

#15 TragicTheBlathering

TragicTheBlathering

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:52 PM

Just made a solo version of Ziggy and tested it on "A Hunt for Gollum" and owned it. I recorded the game and will post on my youtube channel as soon as it renders. Here is the Deck list I used.

Ziggy's Miners Dust (Solo Edition)

Heroes

• Eleanor Core (Set 8)
• Bilbo Baggins (The Hunt for Gollum 1)
• Beravor Core (Set 12)

Deck

3x • Brok Ironfist (Core Set 19)
3x • Beorn (Core Set 31)
3x • Landroval (A Journey to Rhosgobel 53)
3x Northern Tracker (Core Set 45)
3x Zigil Miner (Khazad-dûm 9)
3x • Gildor Inglorion (The Hills of Emyn Muil 79)
3x • Gandalf (Core Set 73)
3x • Radagast (A Journey to Rhosgobel 59)
3x Ancient Mathom (A Journey to Rhosgobel 56)
3x Unexpected Courage (Core Set 57)
3x Protector of Lórien (Core Set 70)
3x Dwarven Tomb (Core Set 53)
3x Fortune or Fate (Core Set 54)
3x Stand and Fight (Core Set 51)
3x The Galadhrim's Greeting (Core Set 46)
2x Will of the West (Core Set 49)
3x Beorn's Hospitality (Core Set 68)
3x Gandalf's Search (Core Set 67)
1x Rumour from the Earth (Return to Mirkwood 124)

Total 54

When it is finished uploading I'll post the youtube link.

#16 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

I think I had like 57 cards, which is a pretty big deck for me, I like to stay at 50.  Didn't get the guesses rights every turn as I don't have three core sets, just two, so there wasn't a.ways a five to guess.  But still did pretty good.  Two miners def. ups the possibilities.

#17 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:43 PM

As is say before nightmare is a joke. Is suppose to be for hard core players but all the time you can get some crazy combo which broken the game.

As i always say :  Will of the west, Beravur, Tracker should be ban from tournaments play.

Wizard is never late.......

#18 Fatty

Fatty

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:58 AM

Glaurung said:

As is say before nightmare is a joke. Is suppose to be for hard core players but all the time you can get some crazy combo which broken the game.

As i always say :  Will of the west, Beravur, Tracker should be ban from tournaments play.

Well the nightmare rules have changed according to the latest FAQ, so I suppose Nightmare is a bit harder now.

But I agree that Will of the West is broken, especially in combination with Beravor + Unexpected Courage. With this combo you can often sneak Gandalf more than 10 times in a scenario. And I think UC should be restricted or even unique. 

#19 booored

booored

• Members
  • 1,584 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:52 AM

richsabre said:

also whats this dwarf god you keep refering to?

Oh, I like giving nick names to things, more more often I like to propagate other peoples nick names I like. Dwarf God was a description of Dain Iron Foot... I'm going to stick with that when ever I speak of him.. another one was HillariousPete's using "Rabbit Run Deck" to describe the super fast Rohan RTM deck. So I now call that deck "Rabbit Run" and use the term Rabbit Deck to describe a heavy rohan quest deck. It amuses me and, imo, as the game gets larger having real community inspired names for decks and tactics is a good thing.

#20 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:10 AM

booored said:

richsabre said:

also whats this dwarf god you keep refering to?

Oh, I like giving nick names to things, more more often I like to propagate other peoples nick names I like. Dwarf God was a description of Dain Iron Foot... I'm going to stick with that when ever I speak of him.. another one was HillariousPete's using "Rabbit Run Deck" to describe the super fast Rohan RTM deck. So I now call that deck "Rabbit Run" and use the term Rabbit Deck to describe a heavy rohan quest deck. It amuses me and, imo, as the game gets larger having real community inspired names for decks and tactics is a good thing.

no you go for it, its actually quite amusing....though a little hard to keep up with

oh yeah, and another point, people can call what they like as long as i dont see the words 'toon' or any other variation of mmo lingo......its confuses the hell out of me! though i do like calling gimli a tank, so im as guilty as anyone else.......

ps, i may be wrong but im sure i was the first one to post the rabbit run deck, though i didnt call it that.....not wanting credit or anything...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS