Photo

Help me understand the unbalanced psychics powers please!

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Cranza

Cranza

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Anima has so many failsafes desined to help keep almost everyone balanced and to keep people from aquiring power to fast in accordance to other classes or power types but it seems when is comes to psychics the entire team went out to lunch and fudged the rules and balancing issues. 

one of my players pointed out to me the pure raw power of psychics by making one then kicks the **** out of my game. This is what he did...
first of he had 10 WP, took the advntage to raise it to 11 (the book does state that mental stats can be raised above 10) and pychic inclination toward psychokinesis and of course the pychic advantage and a couple flaws.
starting off at lv.2 so 700 DP
Mentalist class chosen, buys 75 projection and 27 PP (150 + 270 = 420 dp, his limit)
total pp = 30 (27 bought + 1 automatic + 2 from class)
increases his potential by +60 (21 pp) so thats +130 potental
slot (2 pp) psychokinesis, pychokinetic armor, Shatter, ballistics (4 pp) and the last 3 floatting

first turn uses psychokinetic shield at average of almost impossible ( 130 + average role of 50= 180 absurd then Pychic inclination kicks it up to the next level) then slots
next turn starts throwing around shatter at around 140 PhR check or nuking groups with 80 foot blasts with ballistics.

only reason he does not have a level 3 is because i strait up told him no.
I know his projection is at least reasonable but he is just going to start throwing all his DP into Projection
I could house rule he has to split his potential off of his sloted power to use others but considering he can use P.shield with only 40 potential this barely slows him

please guys there has to be a balancing point to this that im just missing.

#2 brewmaster_vitty

brewmaster_vitty

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:28 PM

well, if he slots a power it doesn't stay the way it was when he slotted it, while in a slot it reduces to its minimal unless he unslots it and remakes the check, which i think requires an action. other than that i got nothing, i thought my groups mentalist was broken, but he isn't that bad. i believe you may have grossly misinterperated a rule somewhere (i'm not insulting you, we all do it, often).

#3 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

brewmaster_vitty said:

well, if he slots a power it doesn't stay the way it was when he slotted it, while in a slot it reduces to its minimal unless he unslots it and remakes the check, which i think requires an action.

Shields work different, they only lose 5LP/round until they are at the LP total that would be allowed with their minimum roll (being 120 for this character, as that it starts at 1500 for 240 it loses 5/round until it hits the 500 for 120...so thats what 200 rounds? not that helpful...) How fast/if the damage barrior is removed, I do not know. Although that is a good point concerning the armor, as that AT 8 automatically drops to AT 2.

But, back to the original question. The problem is not game balance, but player balance. To tell you the truth, in my game this character would fall below the other party characters in strength and be considered weak, but I work with power gamers. There is no problem with powerful characters, the problem is when a single player makes a character far more powerful than the others in the party.

Therefore, if this is becoming a problem, there are two choices to fix it; increase the other players power or weaken this character.

#4 Cranza

Cranza

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:11 PM

I have been over the math and the rules a couple of times and it all fits. It just feels like a **** move to just say "welp, im not allowing pychics anymore so change your character" when we have alread been through a couple of seasions and no one had been complaining about the sickning power unblanace (even though he could just about kill the entire party of 5 himself)

and the mage thing is at least largely balanced by lack of zeon. its just that he has nigh limitles access to these powers for hours on end as long as he doesnt start botching realy bad. and the rule book does not specificly say that mental stats can go up to 13, what it says is that they can go past 10 without only partial benifits like body stats. I just said the cap is 11.

#5 Cranza

Cranza

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:16 PM

oh but thank you Lia, your advice helped in figuring it really is that unblanced. 
I am probably going to take your advice and throw a balancing factor in there. just frustrated that i have to you know?

#6 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:28 PM

Cranza said:

I have been over the math and the rules a couple of times and it all fits. It just feels like a **** move to just say "welp, im not allowing pychics anymore so change your character" when we have alread been through a couple of seasions and no one had been complaining about the sickning power unblanace (even though he could just about kill the entire party of 5 himself)

I want to reiterate that this is not a problem with the Mentalist class. The problem is with this one mentalist compared to the other members of the party. If the rest of the party doesn't have a problem with his character, there are ways to circumvent his power a little bit.

1. Remember that psychics cannot choose targets within their AoE. This means that if enemies are in melee range with his allies, or himself, he is likely to hit his allies as well as his enemies with AoE techniques. Often times players figure out the exact location where it will hit the enemies and not the allies, but in a real battle such calculations would likely be beyond anyone with less than 14 (or more) INT.
2. His shield cannot block energy. Enemy wizards and psychics that use elemental attacks get past his shield instantly because it can only block physical attacks unless he rolls a 240 (therefore achieving the needed 280, on an open roll of 110) when creating it. This is a really easy way to kill him, even unintentionally.
     Oh and his armor only works against physical, so unless he bought up Dodge the first Mentalist or Wizard using Fire, Cold, Electricity, or Energy will tear him apart.
3. His only targeted attack allows for a PhR check, and there are oh so many ways to increase those. Monster abilities to give bonuses, spells, Ki abilities, nephilim powers, CP abilities, not to mention Noah gives a huge bonus. Plus a lot of people like increasing their PhR to avoid critical hits (making it make sense that they have higher than normal PhR if they fight often), make enemies have 80-100 so they average 130-150 (taking 20 damage average at 80, maximum of 118 on a roll of 1).

On a completely different note;
Anima is far, far from being balanced. It is nearly impossible to balance a system that uses multiple systems in the same setting. GURPS is probably the best example of this, but D&D 3.5 or earlier, WoD, etc. have this problem. D&D 4.0 is really well balanced because everyone uses the same system, so it is easy to set powers to be approximately equal to each other. One problem with that is that the real world is not balanced, and creating true balance makes it hard to have a willing suspension of disbelief...or at least thats my opinion.

#7 Cranza

Cranza

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:56 PM

Alright i get the point that allot of things can be abused if done properly, i will reilitarate that my issue is the lack of limitation on pstchic powers. 
As ki or zeon will run out, the fact it can be endlessly called on and so easly power-gamed to levels that you would need to abuse very specific loopholes with the other powers to achive.

1. first off the balistics power can be used to fling a object with a beffed projection (+30 average) instead of the blast and dont you think 14 int is a bit steep to calcalate blast radius's when the greatist minds in human history are said to be mearly 10s? i mean golfing 8 in 9 holes of golf is just an inhuman task (so 13 cap) and i have no idea how that would be possible. i can at least comprhend the ability to calculate explosion radius's though beyond most of humans abilitys which hints it would be closer to 10.
2. The fact his shield can only block energy is indeed something i forgot about, i beleave it was addressed when he first took it and he was going to used his remaining pp to buy a diffrent shield ability from a diffrent discipline. we both forgot about it though so that is indeed my fault.
3. already commented that balistics can also be used to target single people out. Also im not going to give every single npc in my game a huge Physical resist just because of one person, thats just silly.

What i was speaking of before was my impression to a game that can make use of as many elements and flavors, such as WOD, and still keep a balance that keeps any one thing from being game breaking, such as D&D 4.0. Though not perfect as it does have very specific loopholes that through taking advantage of many specific rules can be exploited the game has offered a fun experance full of constant zest and ways to build stories while keeping everyone, though task specific, around the same power level. my issue is minimal loopholes where exploited in the making of the character and I came to ask if i was mistaking a rule anywhere, which i unfortionaly have found that I have not mistaken anything. there could be petential balancing when the psychic exxet comes out (you know... in like 2-3 years xD)

#8 Raybras

Raybras

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

to be honest, i find the mentalist's projection a little low. he's 30 projection under his maximum allowance which can be quite harsh if he gets attacked by some archery or thrown weapons NPCs based on high attack.

#9 F3nr1s

F3nr1s

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Cranza said:

1. first off the balistics power can be used to fling a object with a beffed projection (+30 average) instead of the blast and dont you think 14 int is a bit steep to calcalate blast radius's when the greatist minds in human history are said to be mearly 10s? i mean golfing 8 in 9 holes of golf is just an inhuman task (so 13 cap) and i have no idea how that would be possible. i can at least comprhend the ability to calculate explosion radius's though beyond most of humans abilitys which hints it would be closer to 10.

I think following point is meant: Try in a battle situation to 

1. Calculate your AoE-radius perfectly

2. Guess the distance of everyone, which are moving, correctly.

If you want hit an enemy, which is in a meele combat with one of your allies, with an AoE without hitting your ally, you must set the center of the psychic power exactly. For example: your power has 20 feet radius. To not hit your ally you must set the center a little more than 20 feet away from him. If you set it to far (22 feet), than the enemy isn't in the AoE. If you set it to near, your ally is in the AoE. And if we look at a battle with more people: If you have 5 allies and everyone has his own battle and you won't hit anyone of your allies, you must find all points, which are more than 20 feet away from all of them. And this all in one round, in which you can also be attacked etc.

And I really don't think, it is something one can succed every time.

So long,

#10 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:00 PM

Cranza said:

2. The fact his shield can only block energy is indeed something i forgot about, i beleave it was addressed when he first took it and he was going to used his remaining pp to buy a diffrent shield ability from a diffrent discipline. we both forgot about it though so that is indeed my fault.
3. already commented that balistics can also be used to target single people out. Also im not going to give every single npc in my game a huge Physical resist just because of one person, thats just silly.

1. F3nr1s already explain this one pretty well. To make this mechanical I would require a INT check (1d10+INT or INT-1d10 depending on pre or post core exxet, things in brackets will be post-core exxet) and require a +10 success (or a 20) meaning someone with 10 INT would need a 1 (or a 10) to succeed, with a 10% chance. Unlikely but possible, even an 8 INT can accomplish this, with the same chance, 7 INT automatically fails. While a 14 only needs a 4 (or 6) to succeed, giving a 40% chance. Failure means hitting no one or both enemies and allies.

2. If he forgot and you forgot it is his fault as much as yours. If he knew about it at any point and didn't do anything about it anyway. The fact he only bought from one psychic discipline made me think he might have only bought access to one discipline with his CP. Really though, if there is a balancing factor on this guys character it is this, and the fact his lower projection means he will be put on the defense easier.

3.1. Balistics can target a single person, but if he used it for that it isn't overpowering in any way because his projection is 30 less than it could be and therefore the +30 he gets should just make this on par with other attacks. Although I did miss that ability, it is not a big problem anyway.
3.2 As per not increasing enemy PhR to deal with a single character - that is the reason that a single high powered PC is a problem. Enemy stats in most games are figured based on the party. If the entire party is exploiting rules so they hit harder, enemies must get better armor/defense to create a challenge. If the entire party is using too-high-for-this-level MR or PhR abilities you must adjust enemies bonuses to create a challenge. But when only one guy is doing it you have a problem. Increasing the enemies PhR is actually not that bad. If you increase enemy PhR the party won't notice much except for on criticals, but this character will notice because its how he attacks. If it had been a normal attack it would be much trickier because increasing enemy armor/defense to accommodate a single player makes the others in the party unable to hit. It is only because of how the attack works that I suggested this, and I cannot think of any other reasonable way to combat Shatter. This is not a silly suggestion, it is the only way I can think of that is not silly.
     If you would like some silly ideas I have a few. For example: give all enemies See Supernatural so that they can dodge/block his attack without taking the blind penalty, or use Spirits and other non-material beings because they are not effected by Shatter.

#11 Cranza

Cranza

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:15 AM

Ah! thank you raybras! thats it exactly! I forgot about the limits to projection so i was thinking he could just start assigning 30 more projection per level. that should help balance the scales and is a rule i was forgeting about that helps balance the game somewhat.

and the Lia,
1.My main point was that he has 2 modes of that attack instead of the blast, he would not or at least has not even tried to use it to hit people when an ally is close. I was just saying 14 seems high considering the nasture of the power itself, which is to shower the specified area with a multitude of objects. makes within reason to believe that they have a measure of contol where the objects are landing or hitting. Opposed to an outright explosion which would indeed be nigh impossible the is more of a shotgun blast in a manner of speaking with a controllable radius..

2. yes i realize he was probably taking advntage of the fact i forgot about it as i would be suprised if he really forgot considering he has a page with the power printed out on it and he referances back to it all the time... and I am a little frustrated by that =. Im sorry i should have said that he bought access to any decipline which is also my fault. I might limit him in game to access a new displine or make him do something in game to earn access as punishment for taking advantage of that fact for as many sessions as he had.

3.1. yes I relelize that now and it helps allot, thank you.
3.2. and forgive me i did not mean for that last post to sound as insulting as it did, as i do thank you for helping me as you are as it is helping me think through angles i did not previously. I should have stated I have 2 other players that incounter PhR regulary though they do it on a more reasonable level. A technician that makes regular use of distruction by ki and a warrior that often aims for vulnerable spots. It would make things much harder on them if i did such a thing.

I think i will have more people exploiit his armors inability to block energy and such for a few levels when his lack of projection starts taking it toll to keep him balanced, thank you for the help everyone.
I relize I came off extremely rude in my last few post and I am very sorry for that, I was tired and a little frustrated at my lack of ability to do anything about the power inbalance in the game without being overly intusive into the game itself. 

thank you for the help

#12 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 08:52 AM

I may have overreacted with the whole silly thing, and other players using PhR checks does make my suggestion fairly useless, unfortunately. I do think the power imbalance will go away over time though, at least if your lucky. Good luck in game .

#13 Bleakheart26

Bleakheart26

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hey guys, I'm not really sure why it is so difficult to find a way to kill/ maim your Psychic, but just by tossing in a shadow (asuming that it manifested  and was able to be seen) it could turn the tide of a fight by giving a cumulative -10 to EVERYTHING, and should the characters fail to achieve a 60 PhR they die. As far as the Psychic shield not only is the issue with them not being able to stop any type of energy but there is also the issue of he needs to make his Psychic projection check to STOP an attack from hitting him.  Not only that but if you use ranged projectiles (fired) him there is  ahuge penalty for defence agenst fired projectiles that he would suffer. Let alone if they were shot from the flank or from behind, or supprised. Vertually any melee style person could devistate someone who only has 75 atk/ defence. And to top it off unless he could see magical attacks he would suffer the -80  to his defence cause he can't see it to stop it with his psychic shield.

Sure he gains a bonus with his psychic powers cause "all psychic Powers count as Fired Projectiles when calculating Defence scores. pg.192" last line before Psychic Potential.  But the same problem could whip him good in a fight.  

I have  a few issues with the system,  they are as follows and anyone that Knows the truth of it please respond to me as soon as possable.

Problem 1  Pg. 194   (area   Strengthening A Power) Book saysCharacters may choose to spend their PP on strengthening the natural potential of a power they allready possess. In this way, they become experts at certain abilities and are able to emply them with superior strength. Every PP spent on one of their Powers will give them +10 to their Potential Calculation rolls. A character can not increase a Power beyond a +50 bonus. There fore, the maximum amount of PP a character can spend on a single ability is 10.

A.)  So does this mean you can spend only 5 points at gaining a bonus 10, 20, 30, 40, 50. Having the bonus cap at +50.

B.) OR does this mean you can spend only 10 points gainging a bonus of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50.  Having a cap at +50.

C.) OR does this mean you can spend only 10 points gaining a bonus of 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100.  Having a cap at +100.

I am guessing the book means   (A) as above. So the problem would be total possable points you can spend.

Oky, next is the use and emplyment of the Psychic ability called Nova, as described on page 202.

Nova.  Level 3 Pyrokinesis ability.  Action: active    Maintenance:YES

Description: This Power allows a character to consume his own vital energy in order to increase his psychic capabilities. In gameing terms, he is allowed to trade Life Points in exchange for a bonus to Psychic Potential. Each Point consumed allows him to increase his Psychic Potential by 2 during the current turn. Note that beings with damage Resistance multiply lost LP times 5. The maximum amount of Life Points a character can sacrifice per round is determined by his success in activating this Power (as detailed in the Effects Table). However, a character has the choice of investing fewer points than the maximum. damage is fire based and heals half as fast as conventional wounds.

Effects:140 Very Difficult 20 Life Points

180 Absured 30 LP

240 Almost Impossible 40 LP

!Questions are as follows.  1) IS this ability (Nova) restricted by (pg. 194 ; Acquireing an innate slot) "Some Psycic Powers can be Maintained, allowing characters to use these abilities continually....   The maintenance of an Innate Power is a passive action....     Innate Powers function in the natural Difficulty that their user's Psycic Potential alows with out rolling or applying any penalties. NO additinoal Potential achieved through a roll or any bonus may be applied to a Maintained Power..."    Meaning the ability "Nova" does or does not effect the Psycic potentail of Maintained Psychic abilitys? My issues are if Nova does not effect the psychic potental of maintained powers then where is the major benifit of it? The ability requires a loss of life points that heal twice as slow as normal (acording to pg. 216 Energy Intensities).  Question 2 is,  If it is maintainable then once you have sucessfully activated this power then using it should or should not reqire an active action. Question 3,  If Nova is only effective on activated powers on the same round then what are the potental benifits of sacrificing health to boost Psychic potential?

Next series of questions are about Gnosis, and Life regeneration. quick reference is page 53 for recovery, and page 276 for Gnosis. according to the book Level 19- 20 of Table 20 (healing graph) suggest that those two top levels are reserved for creatures of Gnosis 40-45. Humans have 0, while supernatural races tend to have 5 such as elves/(sylvan) and Duk, zarist (as example). The book does not detail how one would potentally have more gnosis than that other than should you be a Ebudan and complete your life mission then you would gain your Heavenly Essence and effectively leave the world (become an NPC). Then in that time you could have the effective gnosis to gain that level of healing.  Now I will present a character option that will push the healing level to that extent.

Base constitution score of 12; Regeneration level 5

Race Duk' Zarist   Racial bonus +3 to Natural Regeneration Level

CPx3 spent on (Regeneration (Greater) pg.17)) that gives you a bonus 6

Pschic:Physical Increase (Regeneration 180) +4 Regeneration Level

Total regeneration level is: 18

Now looking at the system I would already say that a being PUSHING the edges of such limits is as the book would put it (pg. 277 Gnosis 25) They are entities whos essence stands out intensely because of its supernatural power.  But what do you say? what does the designers of this system say regardless of the fighting prowess of such an entity. I can wrap a game line around such a unique character but I would like to know what other things should or shouldn't a character like that have? Should I just tell them NO you can't make one like that or like a good DM deal with it as a unique plot hook. And make for an interesting adventure.

My last issue is there are few Psychic abilites that would alow for knowing or identifying a person. The nearest thing i could come up with is a psychic that would have to have a number of powers and have a high potential. But like a master of Telepathy, or so called "Master Telepath" Created as followed.

Telepathy Disaplin with the abilities

1, Area scanning, Detectes active minds around the psycic. May differentiate between simple and psyches such as that of animal or more complex natuer but not locate specific mind with in the radius.

1, Mind reading: read a subjects currient thoughts (surface thoughts) and gains a +30 bonus to any action pitted against him.

2, Psychic tracking: sllows the psycic to pinpoint the location of specific subjects mind with in range as determined by suscess. Starts at up to 5 miles.

3, Area: Area enables the psycic to use any other Telapathic Power on all subjects within the radious as determined by characters sucess in activating the power. (starts 30 feet, 300,1 mile)

So Prvided all these powers were Maintained what would it look like to anyone that could see this, Would this Psychic be able to pinpoint, know surfice thoughts so on and so forth.  WOULD anyone cought in the area Notice this mental power soup? and How would this effect the psychic doing this? He/she would have all this information bombarding their mind, so asuming this psychic is not overloaded, would anything be able to sneak up on this overly destracted psychic or would the psychic simply be able to act and react normally?   I would like to get more feed back from folks out there on Interpreting this as a DM and helping the player to actually expereance the power of their psychic.

#14 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:19 PM

This is long so...

Bleakheart26 said:

1) IS this ability (Nova) restricted by (pg. 194 ; Acquireing an innate slot) "Some Psycic Powers can be Maintained, allowing characters to use these abilities continually....   The maintenance of an Innate Power is a passive action....     Innate Powers function in the natural Difficulty that their user's Psycic Potential alows with out rolling or applying any penalties. NO additinoal Potential achieved through a roll or any bonus may be applied to a Maintained Power..."    Meaning the ability "Nova" does or does not effect the Psycic potentail of Maintained Psychic abilitys? My issues are if Nova does not effect the psychic potental of maintained powers then where is the major benifit of it? The ability requires a loss of life points that heal twice as slow as normal (acording to pg. 216 Energy Intensities). 

Question 2 is,  If it is maintainable then once you have sucessfully activated this power then using it should or should not reqire an active action.

Question 3,  If Nova is only effective on activated powers on the same round then what are the potental benifits of sacrificing health to boost Psychic potential?

First killing the PCs is easy, that was not the objective so showing an easy way to do it is moot. Another easy way: drop a nuke on them from orbit. But thats not fun.

Next is just a typo, it should be 5 investments for +50.

Ok now for Nova;

1) No, nova does not effect maintained powers except for shields because they work special. However it does effect attack spells, which is its purpose. With it you can increase the size and damage of a fireball, for example. Sure you lose 20LP, but the enemy can take 50 more damage. Not to mention making a fireball able to destroy an entire army.
2) Use after it is maintained is a passive action.
3) Increase damage, increase healing on a person, not fail at Atomic Reconstruction, etc.

Regeneration: I see no problem with this character. He spend a lot on regeneration, so I don't see him being all that good and dieing fast, but it would be interesting.

Lastly, other than Area scanning, this is rather moot. All the psychic powers listed effect the people in the area when cast and then continue to effect them and no one else. This is not a continuous AoE being placed on people who enter the area and lost on people who leave. As long as it is up the character can find the people in the original area, and gains a +30 on contested skills against them.

As per area scanning: no one could sneak up on him unless they pass a PsR check when they enter the area (they get this automatically but do not know about it, much like illusions) or have Destroy Matrices maintained on themselves. The psychic would not look unusual with these abilities on unless you were capable of seeing or at least detecting matrices. Most people cannot, but to those with the psychic power Sense Matrices, the See Supernatural ability, or those with certain spell the psychic would glow like a fireworks festival.

#15 Ranga

Ranga

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:32 PM

Regen 18 is a fun concept and might not be usless if built properly (you don't need to be DZ, you do need 3 pts of that advantage). Mostly the trick is finding other ways of Incapping the character, blindness, buried alive etc. Also a hard enough crit might still slay him outright.

Nova is an awesome power, I consider it fire damage though so it heals half as fast. 

Hide Matrices would obfuscate all those telepathy powers but a good notice check by one with See Supernatural or Sense Matrices would pierce it. 

#16 Bleakheart26

Bleakheart26

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 07:02 AM

Well I did miss speak about the defense vs psychic, if trying to block it without master would be -80 from projectiles, to dodge I think it was closer to -30 or so, but with mastery it lessens the penalty and with a shield it helps even more... at least with block. Still the difficulty of seeing things that were invisible.... what is the difficulty of that? and how does that function across magic, psychic, and domain or ki. As far as I know sense matrices only detect psychic powers not magical, and nothing ki related. I'm fairly sure I've seen something about using notice or search to spot invisible but I don't remember what that difficulty was.
Still I wonder the Effect of Gnosis and if gnosis should increase by 1 point per level, or something naturally. Sadly Nothing I've seen even explains it or reflects puts it as a game mechanic. Shy of by use in magic when you use creation to create a creature, or you are modified by it. In that case you are given a number of points by witch to buy abilities or modify the character, But another problem with that is you generally are stuck with gnosis 0 to gnosis 5.

#17 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:51 PM

Sense Matrices only works on matrices, not Ki or Magic. However there are ways to see everything, like the level 3 Light psychic discipline power, or See Supernatural. The Notice Check is either 180 or 240, based on Ki abilities that are invisible anyway.

#18 Bleakheart26

Bleakheart26

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 08:34 AM

Lia Valenth said:

Lastly, other than Area scanning, this is rather moot. All the psychic powers listed effect the people in the area when cast and then continue to affect them and no one else. This is not a continuous AoE being placed on people who enter the area and lost on people who leave. As long as it is up the character can find the people in the original area, and gains a +30 on contested skills against them.
As per area scanning: no one could sneak up on him unless they pass a PsR check when they enter the area (they get this automatically but do not know about it, much like illusions) or have Destroy Matrices maintained on themselves. The psychic would not look unusual with these abilities on unless you were capable of seeing or at least detecting matrices. Most people cannot, but to those with the psychic power Sense Matrices, the See Supernatural ability, or those with certain spell the psychic would glow like a fireworks festival.

Okay, so area scanning is like a constant radar being put out at all times (when maintained), But all other psychic powers (such as area telepathy, psychic tracking, mind reading, are all single time pings (when activated) and only function on those that were originally in their range (when maintained).
Another question that was brought up to me was activating the same power on more than one person and having it maintained in more than one slot. Example (Physical increase) Activate it (Increase reaction) one round on Bob, then maintained at 140 (+40) to initiative. (Then next round imbue is maintained at Absurd Allowing things to be gifted at very difficult.) Third round Bob uses Increased reaction at ( then maintained at 140)again on Guy Granting him +40 to his initiative. So by round 4 Bob and Guy both have +40 to their initiative.
Question: Could the same power be used then maintained on different round, on different people at the same time?
Where would I check for weapons that are not on the core book? Example, I want to make a gun (more advanced than a match lock pistol), rifle, crystal objects that Duk' Zarist are said to work within their city. Other parts of the book talk about meshing genetics with armor, and nannites. I would say the tech level is obscured from those that came before and generic humans. How could I integrate some of the old stuff in to the came when there is nothing about such stuff. There is no stats for, examples of, or anything that I could use to guide me into a slightly more advanced people that that of generic Mid-evil to early Renaissance equipment. I would guess that say going up in rough tech level might drop the difficulty down as the time period appropriate equipment is used or available. But it seems like a rough solution. Lastly What about gnosis points and level (0, 5, 10, 20 and up). Would all races stay at 0-5 or would it go up like one point a level. How could that be used in game mechanics other than building a supernatural being. I would argue that a level 1 compared to a level 10 or even 20 would seem god like in their abilities. And Creatures of such would probably have a higher than base gnosis yes/no?

#19 Lia Valenth

Lia Valenth

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

Bleakheart26 said:

Question: Could the same power be used then maintained on different round, on different people at the same time?

Yes, of course you can maintain a power on multiple people. However each use of the power must be maintained separately. So you would need another Innate Maintenance Slots per person, which costs 2PP.

As per the other stuff you have two choices;

1) Make it yourself going off the current power of itms. A stronger gun, for example, is just a faster (less reload) and longer ranged than the one in the book, they haven't really increased damage in the real world, except now you can shoot ten people in one second.
2) Wait for more books to come out, they have many plans on what to bring out, including books on the current affairs of Sylvans, Duk'Zarist, and The Powers in the Shadows (who have most of the super technology).

There may be some info in the other games, but I only play the RPG (there is a card game too or something) so thats the best I can do.

Personally, I would just play GURPS if I wanted to use super advanced technology, but if you want it in Anima you could also check here,
http://cipher-studio...hp?topic=5358.0
It's called Anima: Beyond Sci-Fi, and is fan-made. I have not looked into it because they made some changes to the base rules I did not like and didn't get past.

#20 Bleakheart26

Bleakheart26

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Thank for your help. My group as gamers allways grab a system and run with it to see how it functions, and how it can be maximized (by the power gamers). In doing this we quickly tell the limits and extent the quality of the game.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS