I'll get right to it. So when you are defeated in combat, and your units retreat and are routed, what can you do with them? Can you place any orders on a territory with routed units? Is there any advantage to having a routed unit over a destroyed one? It seems like they are just a waste of space and we would rather have them taken off the board if they are completely useless.
Also on an unrelated note, can you muster units on your home base when there are no units on it?
And lastly, how long have your games been going? I've played this game 3 times now once with 4 players, once with 5, and once with 6, and all three games ended near round 6-7. Is this normal or are most people going till round 10 and counting castles and strongholds?
This game is amazing. That is all.
1) You cant do anything with routed units for that round except that they allow you to defend the area they occupy, but without adding the strength of the routed units to the fight (you still add non-routed units strength to the fight, both those in the affected area and those supporting the affected area, and you also must play a house card).
2) Order placement is done before any units have become routed. Retreating units that becomes routed to an area with an unresolved order doesnt affect the order in that area.
3) The advantage of routed units compared with destroyes units is that you dont lose the units. Routed units are only in the routed state for the current round, at the end of the round all units are set back to thier normal state. In other words not a waste of space.
4) You arent allowed to place any orders in areas where you dont have units and must place orders in areas where you do have units (if you have sufficient) meaning you cant muster in an empty area regardless of if it is your home area or any other area.
5) I have played 4-player twice, the first time taking a long time (5 hours ending in round 7 or 8) since no one knew the rules and the second time it went a lot smother taking about 3 hours also ending around round 7-8, and i have also played 6-player once, half the group being new to the game it took about 3,5 - 4 hours and it ended in round 10 in a tie that was broken bye counting of strongholds.
The amount of rounds used in games with fewer than 6-players i very much dependent on the meta, mostly regarding how to deal with house Baratheon.