• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ElDentist

ElDentist

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

Hello,

I have just one question about the devastator: Why he doesn't have an advanced skill like others classes ?

I have already search on the forum but no way, so I apologize if the point have already issued.

A+

#2 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:13 AM

Probably because the Dev doesn't need anything else to do its job perfectly well. Demolition might make sense but I suppose there's a balance reason to hold that til Rank 2. 

#3 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:18 AM

The dev is pretty hardcore without added skills- he has a pretty small advance table as well.  Compare his table to the Techmarines.  He's super shooty heavy, and his combat gear and core talents make up for this.

I'd agree though, if you felt like adding one as a HR, Demolitions or Drive/Pilot of some kind would feel appropriate.

#4 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:27 AM

Devastators don't need xp, they need renown.

The real question is what an Apothecary does when he reaches mid to high rank. Probably 1st Company because a lot of the other choices seem a bit cheesy.

Well, maybe Keeper too. Apothecary/Chapain? Yeah but I consider it a bit of a stretch because one is used to those being distinct roles.

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#5 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

The Assault Marine does not have an assault only advanced speciality either, iirc - though I'm fairly certain. But one can use a great number of advanced specialities. I don't think the tactical has a "tactical only" either, but may be wrong on that.

Including:

Black Shield
Deathwatch Champion
Chaplain
Dreadnought
Keeper
Kill-Marine
Watch Captain
Veteran

And the chapter specific ones he qualifies for from First Founding as well.

#6 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

Both the AssaultMarine and Apoth in my group want to go Champion. The Dev wants 1st Company Vet. 

#7 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

See that's what I'm having a problem with: the Apo becomes champion, challenges that damn nid warrior and gets killed. Now who takes care of the Marines' health? Personally I think an Apothecary is too important to play an overly aggressive role. To me an Apo Champion is doable doesn't feel fully right.

Not that that would keep an Astartes...

Alex

My 40K Blog (essentially a Best Of FFG Forums):

http://www.40kroleplay.weebly.com

House Rules, Rule Clarifications, Game Aids, New Creatures, consolidated official Deathwatch Squad Mode rules, 40K Tabletop to 40K Roleplay comversions, etc.

#8 Kshatriya

Kshatriya

• Members
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:28 AM

Considering how the Apoth did some heavy damage to a hive tyrant (admittedly that was a triple-RF with a heavy flamer) and successfully danced around in melee with a genestealer brood lord, I'm not at all worried about little nid warriors ;) And if he dies, the player will deal. 

Of course he is also a Blood Angel. Assassin Strike is awesome. 

The proble with Apoths not having many offense options on their table is that this game is offense-oriented. Playing healbot/lorebot gets boring when your buddies are laying down the smack. Hence why I think Apoths should have ok melee options but every single one should also get Create Toxins. 

#9 aussieyobbo

aussieyobbo

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 02:04 PM

Deathwatch Champion has no specialty restriction in its decription, allow the apothacary to take it, all its advances are hugely expensive compared to any other advanced specialty (except the signature wargear hero), so represent an increased expendature of effort/ learning on the apocatharys part, he will never equate to the assault marine for hand to hand combat.

#10 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 05:24 AM

WARNING: Necro posting for shameless plugging detected.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS