Op. Ghostlight Scenarios

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:33 AM

Here´s the series of four scenarios played at Dust-Day Argentina, and it´s introduction
(Special rules for forest terrain squares are needed to play them)

"Axis secret forces are planning a big undercover mission to follow a lead on some supposed ancient alien facility in the southernmost tip of the American continent (SSU zone of control).
But what if the local argentinian "neutral" government profitted not only from helping them with prospecting data and supplies, but also from selling a hint of their activities to allied ASOCOM forces?
Also, that supposedly abandoned alien facility may actually prove to be there...
Who knows what surprises lay ahead for those brave enough to venture into it´s ancient tunnels...

*Background Storyline part 1  

*Background Storyline part 2  

Scenarios are to be played at 160 points (or up to 200 if players agree to test)

SCENARIO N°1: "Dusk Shotdown" 

Description: Orientation in the mountainous region of the "Isla Grande" is not easy for forces of both factions, who eventually get lost in the mists of twilight...
When the fog clears, they discover they´re not alone!

Objective: Kill the opponent!

Duration: 8 turns

MAP CODE:

Black square: Impassable terrain

Green square: Forest

Red: Allied deploy zone

Blue: Axis deploy zone

Cover: 1 tank trap and 1 ammo crate each player, anywhere on the board.

#2 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

SCENARIO N°2: "The Ghostlight"

Description: Following the data provided by local intelligence agency, expeditions of both strike force reach a legendarious geographic spot both revered and feared by the ancient aborigin tribes of the island.
Now they have to face each other to capture the alien artifact, but the "ghostlight" has a surprise for them...

Objective: capture the alien beacon. To do so, a unit must be standing on the objective square by the end of the round without any enemy units in adjacent tiles.
Objective does not grant cover nor does it block LOS.

Special rule, "Vrill discharge": the mistic energies of the VK powering the beacon will harm any unit (vehicule or infantry or hero) standing on the "sanctuary". Roll a die at the beginning of the turn, on a HIT result, apply one damage.

Mission lasts for 8 rounds.

Cover: one tank trap, two ammo crates in the grey colored squares.

MAP CODE:

Black: impassable terrain.

Yellow: "Sanctuary"

Yellow with white circle:alien beacon

Grey: cover area

Red: allied deply zone

Blue: Axis deploy zone

" Rules about objective and the overall layout are inspired in scenarios by Arkangl, at http://twc-dust-tact....blogspot.com/ 

**Rule add-on:  after reading Op Cerberus scenario n°1, and taking it as model,  the mission could be modified so that players must carry objective back to his/her deployment side

#3 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:39 AM

SCENARIO N°3: "Ambush"

Description: winner of second scenario is heading towards headquarters with the alien artifact in their hands. Opponent sets an ambush on a densely wooded area.
Defending player secretly chooses a unit who carries the objective and writes it down in a piece of paper, only to be revealed when mission is over.

Objective (attacker): Kill the enemy!

Objective (defender): take your designated unit to the opponent deployment zone. If this is achieved, you win the match.

IMPORTANT: please note that defender is not forced to reveal the unit with the artifact if it is eliminated by the opponent.
Also, the attacker DOES NOT win the match should the unit with the objective be eliminated.
The obejctive CANNOT change hands during the match.

Scenario to be played for 8 rounds, as usual.

No cover of any kind.

MAP CODE:

Green: Forest

Red: attacker deployment zone

Blue: defender deployment zone

#4 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:40 AM

SCENARIO N°4: "Assault on the base"

Description: Winner faction of the third scenario has located and taken position in the alien base.
However, explorers from the opposing side have identified one of the entrances to the vast underground complex, and a strike force engages to break defences.

Objective (attacker): to have a living unit on defender deployment zone by the end of 8th round.

Objective (defender): kill them all!

Duration? Yeah..8 rounds!

Cover: one tank trap, ans two ammo crate per player in designated area.

MAP CODE:

Black: impassable terrain

Green: Forest

Grey: cover area

Red: attacker deployment zone

Blue: defender deployment zone

#5 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:37 PM

Thought you might like this:

Ghostlight nº1

Ghostlight nº2

Ghostlight nº3

Ghostlight nº4

#6 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 10:26 PM

Nice work peeps, anybody fancy putting together a pro-looking PDF of the campaign?

#7 bigoc

bigoc

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:31 AM

Great idea, Mishap! Loophole, great Woek.   I played this campaing, and was really amusing and competitive. Great design Aldarion! And the fluff was great.

#8 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:33 AM

Awesome job, loophole! I really appreciate.

Also, pdf is great idea Major. I would have loved to pull something like this, but I´m zero programming talented. Thought of asking someone from the local community (for improved maps and pdf), but there were already so many things to take care of =/

As bigoc comments, the campaign paid off real well, and gave a special mood to the event (more like rpg) since all players were discovering scenarios each after the other, commenting amongst each other when the map for the next mission was distributed. The surprise effect for participants was key element for this.

#9 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

I'll have a go at putting one together if I can be sent all the details, background, scenarios Loopholes maps.  Any good photo to be used on the cover and filler?

#10 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:15 AM

Feel free to use my maps. Those images posted above are actually in the full quality and resolution of the original file.

#11 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Major, I´m going out of town later today until 23 jan, no internets allowed, so I won´t be able to flloow the process. I do find the idea awesome, off course.

Anyway, you can find all the resources at fhis forum, as well as Dust-Day Facebook Page (Loophole, I just uploaded your new pics, would like to give you credits if you have fb account), that is:

*Background storyline par 1 & 2

*General introduction "fluff"

*Scenario descriptions

That should do it, though I think scenario number two needs tweaking (more damage from the beacon, and more difficulty to get the objective, even maybe taking it back to deployment zone)

As for cover, something similar to op cerberus and seelowe would look real cool. I think my friend Pablo Ortelli (who made the forest tiles) could pull it. Also, if you make the pdf I would gladly fill in more data, character and geographical "fluff", even a chronology. What do u think?

#12 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:20 AM

Sounds good, I'll see if I can find all the info.

#13 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 04:14 PM

Here´s to make it easier on you:

*Forest rules  

*Axis Prologue  

*Allies Prologue  

Intro and the rest is on this same thread.

Would be great if you and your game group try out second scenario, for tweaking (same goes for loophole and anyone wanting to help out).

I will get back to you on the 23 with ideas for more fluff.

Cheers to all

#14 FlorisH

FlorisH

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:54 AM

I've had a go at creating a PDF for Operation: Ghostlight.
Happy to make changes as and when they are needed/required.

You can find the PDF here: at43-confrontation.co.uk/ghostlight.pdf

There are a few "changes" but nothing more than replacing some words in the background story.

#15 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 09:56 PM

I've played the first 2 scenarios and ran into a problem and I want to pre-empt a couple for the other scenario's.

Senario 1 - Dusk Shotdown.  Apart from getting totally slaughtered on the 1st scenario, that went OK. 

Scenario 2 - The Ghostlight. My oppo won on turn 1 with the use of Get a Move On with his Command squad and of course unless the Axis do the same they cannot move 4 squares to contest.  I gave him a slap with a wet zombie for being so cheesy and he took another shot with Pounder instead.  Something needs to be added to prevent this scenario from being a non-game, it has a 30% chance of a one-turn win if a command squad is taken.  He won anyway as my dice rolling was as bad as you can get.

Scenario 3 - Ambush.  This will be a win or draw for the Allied Defender.  With the amount of cover and units being able to fly M2, I doubt that I will be able to put enough damage on a unit to take the unit out before it reaches the base line - whoever that might be.  Alternatively he only has to skulk around his deployment to force a draw and win the campaign as the Attacker has to wipe the enemy out to win.  If the attacker only has to  prevent the defender from achieving his mission, it will make for a better game.

Scenario 4 - Assault on the Base.  In the event of a draw in scenario 3, who becomes the attacker/defender?  And again, one side has an objective the other has to kill all to win.  This is another easily enforced draw for the attacker as again the defender has to kill everybody to win rather than stop the attackers objective.

I've two suggestions to help prevent the deliberate draw.  1) as above change the 'kill all' objective to 'thwart enemies objective' or 2) use the basic VP's as a tie-breaker, but this would mean that there will never be a draw.

Thoughts?

#16 Aldarion

Aldarion

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 03:26 AM

Sorry for the delay on reply, Major, it´s great to read feedback of players actually running the scenarios, and very gratifying also.

As for Scenario n°2, I hadn´t considered the possibility of command group, that is well observed. I agree that it needs tweaking, and I think I even mentioned it originally...either have the unit:

*start and end the turn in control of the objective (and no unit alive in adjacent tiles)

*capture the objective and bring it back to deplyment zone

Problem with last option is I guess we could find combinations for no-game, similar to the actual rules. Problem with first option is it might become too difficult to achieve...maybe.

Scenarios 3 and 4 need a correction in description. The idea is the player with the objective (capture or enter base) needs to achive it to win, otherwise he looses the sceanrio and the other side wins auto.

I stated "kill the enemy" for the other player as simply a default objective.

#17 TallDwarf

TallDwarf

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:47 PM

As a new player that enjoy's scenarios I want to tell you guys that I am so impressed with the work that you have done. It would be nice if there was a repository for scenarios somewhere on the internet or these forums or Boardgamegeek so they are easily shared for the community. They don't need the polish of the pdf version. I like the back story and the idea of progressing through the campaign.

Take care and have a great day.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS