• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Hi everyone!

I would like to invite you to my blog about painting Talisman miniatures. You can see my progress over the painting and read a few words about it. I am happy to hear any feedback.

Here you have some of my work. More can be found here: Big Forehead Studio

#2 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:56 AM

I don't speak the language, but those minis look great! I'm going to start painting my own soon, and your work is very inspiring. :)

[EDIT: I used Google translate to read your descriptions, and was struck by the Sorceress: it never would have occurred to me to drybrush silver over purple, and gold over red. I'm totally gonna copy you! :D ]

#3 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:15 AM

You can change the language on blog with Google Translator. I put it specially for you :)  Good luck with painting and I am happy to watch the results.

#4 JCHendee

JCHendee

• Members
  • 2,811 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Really nice work, Noalan!!!  I'm not into miniatures, but those are very well done and worth seeing.

#5 talismanisland

talismanisland

Harbourmaster

• Members
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 07:49 AM

Awesome work! Can't wait to see the rest of the gang!

Harbourmaster at Talisman Island - 15 magical years and counting!

Sometimes I even update the Talisman Island Facebook Page!

#6 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:07 AM

The miniatures looks great!

#7 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Nice to hear it :) I will show you all the minis I have, so just follow the blog. Thank you for comments!

#8 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

This is full set of painted miniatures from the main game. Hope you like it :)

• Kharavex likes this

#9 MattMcD

MattMcD

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

I really like your toad, it looks fantastic!

#10 Bolithio

Bolithio

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

Awsome! I wish I had the tallent to do that!

#11 BatHead

BatHead

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

As a former pro figure painter, I can tell you, it doesn't necessarily take a whole lot of talent, just a basic understanding how light and shadow work with a 3 dimensional figure of the size of these miniatures and the basic painting techniques, tools, and materials involved. There are plenty of tutorials avaliable online. When I first started painting minis, I can honestly tell you my first attempts weree pretty much crap, but, with research, practice, and a willingness to experiment, I eventually got good enough to get paid for doing it.

#12 mmilli

mmilli

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:39 AM

Great miniatures. I have not the patience nor the skill to do this. I would love for someone to paint mine for me but I am having trouble finding somewhere or someone to do them. Any takers ??? Please   !!!!!!!

#13 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Happy to see this thread up near the top again, for inspiration, as I've just begun painting my own Talisman minis; the Reaper is primed, and will be ready for base coats tomorrow night… WOOO!!!

BFS: when can we hope to see your paints of the expansion characters?

#14 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:29 AM

Reaper minis are done and photos will be soon. I hope tomorrow you will see. Thank you for your feedback and keep ready ;)

#15 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

It's time to present the Reaper miniatures. Hope you like it.

#16 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Man, that's outstanding! And so inspiring… I've just applied a wash to the Reaper's bones, and am more fired up to continue painting these guys now than ever! Do you mind a few questions and comments?

1. The jewel on the Dark Cultist's scepter is absolutely fantastic… looks like glass! Is that some reflection from a gloss finish I'm seeing there, or is that all shading?
  2. The Reaper's cloak: I'm thinking of base-coating dark grey, washing in black, then drybrushing in the same grey, and then again with a lighter grey. Did you do something similar?
  3. I initially thought I'd paint all the bases grey, but I can see that adding the grass is great to cover up the transition between model and base (and I love how the Reaper's grass is dead and grey). Do you have any advice for doing grass well? I've never done it.
  4. The freehand insignia on the Knight's cape… is that something a mildly experienced miniature painter should attempt, or is that type of thing strictly for experts? Also, my Knight 'leans' back a fair bit. Did yours, and if so, how did you fix it?

But, only answer my questions if you feel like it… the bottom line is, your minis look great! :)

#17 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Thank you for reply. I really appreciate all your feedback.

1. Dark Cultist's gem was covered with gloss varnish after shading. Also her arm pads and stuff's handle have glossy finish but it's difficult to see it on picture. I don't like this miniature and it's hard to paint it becouse of very bad scoulpt. She has no face and her legs are too fat. I think that Dark Cultist is the worst miniature after Cleric so you need a lot of work to paint it well.
  2. The Reaper miniature was my first I painted. Was covered with black and drybrush with grey. But for better look you should blend all highlights with thin layer of light grey and than use wash on whole miniature. Also the scythe's blade requires some correction so if you didn't do it you will get a silver sausage after painting. Just remember ;) Base was done only with flock. So cover the ground with black and drybrush. BTW is the easiest miniature to paint.
  3. All insignias like Minster's stripes on clothes are poorly sculpted. So it's better to removed them before painting if you have some worries. You can use some file, scalpel or green stuff to do that. To paint it properly you need only a good hand and patience. You can practice painting on some other surfaces before painting on miniature.

All my bases were done with flock, washes and static grass. It's really simple to make a base like mine.

#18 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:42 AM

Thank you very much for the pro tips. I'll be eagerly awaiting pics of the rest of your Talisman work! :)

#19 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 962 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:26 PM

A question for you, Noalan: is there a particular brand of flock that you use, or is it your own mix? I bought a bag of Woodland Scenics, but I'm not that pleased with it.

Also, your Reaper's flock is black, and brushed in grey - did you buy black flock to begin with, or just paint it? And if so, any tips for painting flock? I'd love to do similar things for my Reaper and Werewolf…

#20 Noalan

Noalan

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:07 AM

I use Army Painter Desert Sand flock.

When you aplly this flock on base you can use some washes on it to mix various colours of ground.

You can paint it with black as well if you want dead ground effect or any other colour you need. Use brush, airbrush, spray, whatever you want, but before that make sure your base is dry. It's simple as it looks :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS