Shadow in the Warp & Sustaining Powers

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 06:35 PM

Could someone inform me if they know of a reason (beyond the basic mechanics of the system) as to why Shadow in the Warp would have no impact on sustained psychic powers? To me, it seems that while a Psyker may not have to refocus his energy in order to keep his power going, the sudden intrusion of the Shadow in the Warp would throw him a bit off his game.  As per RAW, a maintained power requires no focus power test, and thus no penalty when the Shadow in the Warp appears.

I was considering implementing a house rule saying at the first appearance of the Shadow, a re-focus power roll would be required, or alternately reducing the original activation roll by 20, mainly because that 'feels' right.  Much like a Fear rating- once it's there, you check it once; you don't have to keep re-checking because a Tyranid Warrior is hopping in and out of range each turn.  I wanted to run it past the superior fluff experts and number crunchers on these forums to see if I'm the only one that thinks the RAW feels funny.

P.S. I feel like this has been covered previously - apologies if it was, searching for "shadow in the warp" and iterations on the term resulted in pretty crap search results

#2 ak-73

ak-73

• Members
  • 3,673 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:45 AM

It does feel funny, you're right. Also Achilus Assault has a short text on SitW, it pretty much govern the shadow of planets under assault and says the (planet-wide?) modifier can range from -10 to -50.

Alex

#3 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Thanks for the pointer, I apparnetly totally missed that on my first (and second) readngs.  For my current purposes, that will do quite nicely.  Perhaps I'll toy with the implementation of requiring a 're-focus' test when the enemies aren't quite so entrenched on the planet.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS