Lska's newbie painting

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

Ok so i finished my first minis ever:D Those are the axis gorillas, the easy ones it is said:P It took my some time, so now i'm looking foward for your opinions and advice;) I haven't used any washes, those guys are just painted once and that's all;) 

#2 Major Mishap

Major Mishap

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:57 PM

You shouldn't really hot-link to other sites as it uses their bandwidth.  The links don't work as you are linking to a page rather than a pic (right click > properties to get pics URL.  Your best bet is to use photobucket as it gives you the url to post here using the insert image icon.   As to the painting itself, I think the brown grilla is to brown and think a black wash all over will finish it off nicely.

#3 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:47 PM

Thx for the tips :D Seems to be working now..

#4 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:52 AM

Nice start, but you really should put some black wash over the whole thing. Right now it's looking too.... chocolaty. 

#5 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Today i'm gona get some badab black and try to wash one of those guys. I'm interested how will this turn out;)

#6 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:29 PM

Hmm so i washed one monkey for testing and i'm not sure do i like the result. Surely the fur looks better and shiny ;)

#7 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Now just do some drybrushing to add the highlights.

#8 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:30 AM

You mean the fur? And what colour schould i use? Some mixed b-w?

#9 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:44 AM

Yeah, some light gray on the fur, some beige on the skin, light metal on the gloves....

#10 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:11 AM

I think you are overestimating my color abilities:D All i got is 2 versions of silver and some basic skin tone:D Or we can get back to cholcolate skin;) Ok so how exactly i schould do it ? :/ I know the theory in drybrushing, schould i just make it a one quick move and leave it till it's dry?:D

#11 Loophole Master

Loophole Master

• Members
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:19 AM

Well.... if you're going to do some painting you really should get more than 3 colours. But if you're not interested, you can still mix what you have and try to arrive at something that works.

Drybrushing is quite simple. Get the paint on your brush, then wipe most of it out on a piece of cloth or paper, then you lightly brush your model, so that the colour sticks to the  raised parts of it.

#12 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Well i meanted for those colours i could use for that. Generally i have the most basic colours + some valileo uniform colours for americans and russians. Will try mxing black with a little white and drybrushing the fur

#13 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

OK, so it's time to show some tank buster. I haven't seem a lot of these guys painted so here are my versions of them + strangly shiny armor OZZ. I'm still afraid of weathering so some advices about that in those minis would be great:D

#14 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:38 PM

It's fun getting into a painting hobby, isn't it?! All the things you will learn to do will later amaze you. 

#15 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Instead of using a grey tone to highlight black I usually will use a mix of turquoise and black. Look at a crows feathers in real life and let me know if you see grey highlights. ;-)

Sometimes we rely too much on the color wheel and not enough on lifelong observations. Also, here on the forum I don't see the advanced uses of non-metallic metallics, and other advanced painting techniques. 

#16 JigBakerSugar

JigBakerSugar

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:50 PM

That's because NMM is for little girls.

#17 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:28 PM

JigBakerSugar said:

That's because NMM is for little girls.

It is a big PITA, but from a battlefield perspective it really makes a difference. The idea is to make a 1 inch tall model with a 1/3 inch rifle look like a 6 foot tall soldier with lifesize equipment from far away. 

Im going to go brush my Barbie's hair now. 

#18 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:48 PM

Ummm, so schould i higlit armor in some places with more gray?:D

#19 Psykostevo

Psykostevo

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:03 PM

My approach when using metallic paints is to not paint 100% of the metallic surface. And to basecoat it in a much darker shade of metallic. For example use black and metal mixed together on 80% of the surface, then paint over in your primary metallic about 50% of the surface. Kind of like how shading is doneon a tattoo. 

In a few days I'll post a pic so it will make more sense. 

#20 Lska

Lska

• Members
  • 487 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:21 AM

In past few weeks i hedn't had much time for painting. I gave monkeys and TB some work, made an experiment with gorillas bases, and yesterday painted the DD. Also today i found out how much i suck at making photos and how much a photo can change how the mini looks like.

All opinions appreciated.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS