Photo

The juicebox LOTR LCG Solo Player Tournament (#5) [January 1-7, 2012] [COMPLETED]

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 juicebox

juicebox

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 08:29 PM

Welcome & Introduction:

Welcome to my fifth Solo Player LOTR LCG Tournament. This week’s tournament takes the next step in a series of tournaments exploring the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle. The idea behind this tournament is that for one week (Sunday – Saturday), everyone is invited to participate in playing a particular quest with particular deck building requirements in a Solo Player Tournament. You are then invited to record and post your final score, the heroes you used, and any additional narrative that you’d like to add.

Note: this is not a place to post results from the past. The tournament has a one-week lifespan, and only games played and recorded throughout this week are valid. As the week unfolds, I will keep this first post updated with the Top Ten results. (Each participant can occupy a maximum of one Top Ten spot at a time, so you’re welcome to try and best your own result throughout the week.) See also, The juicebox LOTR LCG Top Ten Hall of Fame.

Will you place in the Top Ten for the week? I hope you’ll participate and find out!

After the end of this week’s tournament, you are welcome to continue to post results to this thread if you continue to play this particular quest under these particular parameters. However, the Top Ten on this first post will not continue to be updated after the week is over, thus preserving (like a time capsule) the results from this week’s tournament. In the mean time, if you have ideas for a future tournament of the week, feel free to suggest them in the Ideas Thread.

And now… on to this week’s Solo Player Tournament!

Solo Player Tournament #5:

Quest: Journey to Rhosgobel
Deck Parameters: 1-3 Core Sets + HfG, CotC, & JtR Adventure Packs
Number of Players: Solo Play – 1 Player/1 Deck

Top Ten:

1. wraith428 ~ 23 (Thodred, Bilbo, Éowyn)
2. Zjb12 ~ 28 (Éowyn, Bilbo, Théodred)
3. Da_Engineer ~ 29 (Gloin, Éowyn, Denethor)
4. muemakan ~ 31 (Éowyn, Glorfindel, Théodred)
5. leptokurt ~ 35 (Glorfindel, Éowyn, Frodo)
6. juicebox ~ 36 (Éowyn, Théodred, Glorfindel)
7. Bungo_Underhill ~ 40 (Glorfindel, Éowyn, Gloin)
8. Fatty ~ 42 (Théodred, Bilbo, Éowyn)
9. plueschi ~ 49 (Éowyn, Bilbo, Théodred)
10. Chac ~ 52 (Éowyn, Beravor, Bilbo)

Last Updated:

January 8, 2012 (12:10am) [FFG Time]

[This week’s tournament will run from January 1-7, 2012 and will officially close at the end of the week (midnight) as time-stamped by the FFG forum time clock.]

#2 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 06:31 AM

First game, and already a rather good result which is close to my personal record of 70 points. Have to say that I don't like Rhosgobel as it feels like a lottery. SO here is my first result:

Heroes: Glóin, Beravor, Bilbo

Heroes Threat: 24

Heroes Damage: 0

Rounds: 60

Victory Points: 4

Result: 80

Encounters were:

1. Dol Guldur Beast Master (never engaged him)

2. Driven by Shadow

3. Black Forest Bats (engaged and killed in round 4)

4. Forest Grove (scenario action, travelled to next round) / Caught in a Net

5. Black Forest Bats (scenario action, killed the same round) / Mirkwood Flock / Great Forest Web (guarded Athelas, travelled to next round)

6. Mirkwood Flock

7. Forest Grove

Played Henamarth in round 1 and Radagast in round 2, possibly the most powerful 6 resource combo early in the game. Radagast could collect 5 resources until round 7 which he then spent to heal Wilyador. I drew 2 Lore of Imladris during the game which healed Wilyador for another 10 points. PoL in round 3 supported me with enough questing power, and a Silverlode Archer in round 4 defeated the 2 Black Forest Bats. It was perhaps a mistake to play the archer, as I could have used these resources to play Gandalf in my last round, but I wanted to avoid possible nasty shadow card effects by the bats (still had to assign 4 points damage to Wilyador thanks to Festering Wounds and Swarming Insects). Managed to Sneak Gandalf twice in the quest phase and used him to lower my threat my 10 points. Bilbo got caught in a net, fortunatly he wasn't exhausted at that point. Used him to grab the Athelas in round 6.

#3 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:37 AM

Ok, and now for real:

I built a deck that was not designed for defeating the deck as often as possible, but to specifically reach a superb score.

Heroes: Glorfindel, Éowyn, Frodo
Heroes Threat: 24
Heroes Damage: 2
Rounds: 20
Result: 42

It wasn't especially hard to get this result, and those who have multiple cores will have it even more easy. The most difficult part, as always, is to get the right encounters. Here are mine:

1. Athelas, Black Forest Bat
2. Athelas, Mirkwood Flock
3. King Spider

I think the experts will know what happened, so I have fun to figure it out. My fear is that as it's not that difficult to get to this result (the only tricky thing is to grab an Athelas in time) this tournament will become rather dull. Didn't have Steward of Gondor btw, so two additional Sneak/Gandalf should be possible to get it down to 30 points (without the hero damage).

#4 Da_Engineer

Da_Engineer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:48 AM

This is going to be a boring tourny lol.

Heroes: Denethor, Éowyn, Frodo
Heroes Threat: 25
Rounds: 10
Result: 31

Encounters:

Athelas Guarded: Evil Storm

Black Forest Bats

As lepotokurt stated, I will not say how this was done because it was too easy and all I needed was the right encounters and a couple of cards (even then there are many encounters that work).  I actually have a way to get a score around 10 I think but I think it needs to be too lucky to actually work, I tried it a few times and failed so I ended up posting this one as my best score but will try beating it. (With this group of heroes, it is impossible to do better though imo)

Edit: Forgot to put an encounter card

#5 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:07 AM

Da_Engineer said:

This is going to be a boring tourny lol.

Encounters:

Athelas

Black Forest Bats

As lepotokurt stated, I will not say how this was done because it was too easy and all I needed was the right encounters and a couple of cards (even then there are many encounters that work).  I actually have a way to get a score around 10 I think but I think it needs to be too lucky to actually work, I tried it a few times and failed so I ended up posting this one as my best score but will try beating it. (With this group of heroes, it is impossible to do better though imo)

I guess you didn't travel to Rhosgobel? Cause in that case it might be that your result is invalid, but I am not sure myself, to be honest. I will ask the board experts in another thread. As long as Rhosgobel is in the staging area, you cannot heal Wilyador. And I think this also means healing Wilyador with Athelas in stage 3B:

Oh, and don't forget that Athelas is guarded, so there should have been dealt a guarding encounter card.

#6 richsabre

richsabre

Moby the Goldfish

• Members
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:20 AM

i would say you CANNOT heal if rhosgobel is in the staging area no matter what round

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#7 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:13 AM

I know I can lower this, but here's a score to start out with: damage 1; threat 35; vvictory points 4 (Rhosgobel); 6 rounds; score---92.  Heroes glorfindel, eowyn, theodred.

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:14 AM

@ Engineer: Just realized that Evil Storm is not part of this encounter set. Only Orcs and Spiders are used from the corset. Either you took the wrong set of encounter cards, or this one somehow found its way between the Orc cards. Happened to me once, and it took me about 20 games to realize that the whole time I had a wrong encounter card in my deck.

#9 Fatty

Fatty

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:28 AM

First try today. Gandalf never showed up this time.

Heroes: Éowyn, Bilbo, Beravor
Heroes Threat: 31
Rounds: 30
Result: 57

Encounters:

1. Mirkwood Flock (never engaged)

2. Dol Guldur Beastmaster (never engaged)

3. Athelas, Athelas, Exhaustion (played Test of Will), Forest Grove

4. Dol Guldur Orcs (played another Test of Will)

#10 Da_Engineer

Da_Engineer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:36 AM

leptokurt said:

@ Engineer: Just realized that Evil Storm is not part of this encounter set. Only Orcs and Spiders are used from the corset. Either you took the wrong set of encounter cards, or this one somehow found its way between the Orc cards. Happened to me once, and it took me about 20 games to realize that the whole time I had a wrong encounter card in my deck.

Well I did that score 2 times, so it will only be a matter of time before I get the same score because it's really easy.  I put in the wrong one in... and I traveled to Rhosgobel yes and got the 4 points for it, don't see where the problem is for that part though if you want to point out where I made that mistake?

Edit: LMAO I checked my deck and low and behold I didn't make a mistake in my encounter deck, I actually only had that one card that was in my encounter deck and I didn't write down what cards I got the other time I scored, hurray I need to waste another hour or two to get the same score cuz of one card mis-insert.

I'm playing a new deck which will be able to do better than the last one anyway.

#11 Da_Engineer

Da_Engineer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

I was able to get a THEORETICAL score of 17 with another deck but it's pretty much impossible so I won't even attempt it.  I am just posting it since I assume some people might be interested even though it's so improbable that it's not even worth trying (You need exactly 6 cards within the first 8 ALONG with 2 perfect encounters which there are quite a few of but not enough to make this scenario probable)

Heroes: Eowyn, Gloin, Theodred
Heroes Threat: 11
Result: 17  (Result is THEORETICAL, do not use)

Encounters:

X

X

#12 Da_Engineer

Da_Engineer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:30 PM

This one will give away the strategy more than the last one I posted but here it is.

Encounters:

Mirkwood Flock

Caught in a web

#13 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Da_Engineer said:

leptokurt said:

Well I did that score 2 times, so it will only be a matter of time before I get the same score because it's really easy.  I put in the wrong one in... and I traveled to Rhosgobel yes and got the 4 points for it, don't see where the problem is for that part though if you want to point out where I made that mistake?

Edit: LMAO I checked my deck and low and behold I didn't make a mistake in my encounter deck, I actually only had that one card that was in my encounter deck and I didn't write down what cards I got the other time I scored, hurray I need to waste another hour or two to get the same score cuz of one card mis-insert.

I'm playing a new deck which will be able to do better than the last one anyway.

Yeah, I think now got it! Wow! Took me some time to figure it out, but won't spoil it here.  So you only needed three cards, and of course the right encounters and one Athelas. Forgot about that one dirty little card, though I have it in my deck myself.

Btw, I chose Glorfindel over Denethor, because it's possible to get a similar result like mine even without PoL. That way I can play Lore of Imladris additional to Athelas.

Edit:

Although, now that I see your new post you apparently played a somewhat different hand. Just one question, do you really play all the games or only those with a good starting hand? Or do you play amazingly fast, lol?

#14 Da_Engineer

Da_Engineer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 01:55 PM

Depends on the game, with the other scenario I was playing 1 round and if I knew I wouldn't beat my previous score I would start over.

For this quest and my deck it takes about 4-5 minutes per game. (This includes shuffling)

Glorfindel is -4 points because of threat though.

PS: You are right with the 3 cards for the first play but you shouldn't even have given that clue, will be more fun for others to try to figure it out themselves imo.  I guess it also depends on the person.  There's multiple ways (combos of cards) to obtain the same result that I got btw, I include them all in my deck and it increases the chances of getting one of the combos on card draw.

#15 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:31 PM

Better: damage to Heros, 7; threat 32; victory points 4; rds 3, (30); total: 65.  Heros, eowyn, glorfindel, denethor.

#16 Zjb12

Zjb12

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 02:51 PM

Even better: threat, 26; rds 3 (30); victory points 4; final score: 52.  Heros, eowyn, glorfindel, denethor.

#17 Da_Engineer

Da_Engineer

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:52 AM

This build is a little better.  The best score possible with it is 24 actually which isn't that improbable but haven't got it yet.

Heroes: Gloin, Éowyn, Denethor
Heroes Threat: 23
Result: 29

Encounters:

Driven By Shadow

Hummerhorns

#18 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

Wow, seems my previous deck is quite useless in this one........altough it was tweaked a bit.

Frodo, Beravor, Theodred

Threat: 3

Wounds: 2

Rounds: 5

Victory points: 4

Total: 51

Encounter cards were:

2. Swarming Insects ( 2 damage to Beravor and Theodred and Wilyador)

2. Feastering Wounds

3. Mirkwood Flock ( shadow card let´s damage go to Wylador)

4. Mountains of Mirkwood ( traveled there and got The Necormancer´s Reach ( was canceled) )

5. Caught in a Web 

Wilyadors damage progress: 

End of turn 

1: 5

2: 9

3: 13

4: 15

Wyliador was healed with 3 Lore of Imaldris just before it was too late. ( an Athelas would have been nice )

As I just saw this will be a quite useless score .........as there are already scores in the 30s......ah just noticed there´s a already a 29. Wow.

#19 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:28 AM

Da_Engineer said:

This one will give away the strategy more than the last one I posted but here it is.

Encounters:

Mirkwood Flock

Caught in a web

Then do enlighten us.

If you just need 3 cards and one of them needs to be Lore of Imladris as you didn´t draw an Athelas.

You  were obvisouly blocking the Flock with Wilyador so he had 5 damage in round 2.

But just to overcome the 10 threat in turn one you need additionally  quest power... so you must play another card.

And then you must heal the eagle. So you now have one other card to play. And this one must be worth 7 willpower.

So I am really interested. 

#20 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:33 AM

Da_Engineer said:

This build is a little better.  The best score possible with it is 24 actually which isn't that improbable but haven't got it yet.

Heroes: Gloin, Éowyn, Denethor
Heroes Threat: 23
Result: 29

Encounters:

Driven By Shadow

Hummerhorns

How did you lower your threat by 4?

And again...how did you quest in round two? I mean how did you manage the 17 willpower?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS