Jump to content



Photo

So what happens if Abaddon dies?


  • Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Gillam Harrow

Gillam Harrow

    Member

  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

I'm sure you all see this event to be as unlikely as i do, what with his favor by chaos itself and all that, but what if Abaddon kicks the bucket at the hands of, say, the inquisition or a coalition of highly trained (and likely suicidal) loyalist marines? who takes over? is this a blow Chaos on the whole can quickly bounce, or does it lead to a crumbling of chaos forces in the region untill a new champion is chosen? what would be the implications of a champion backed by a single chaos god taking this "top spot" as it were?



#2 Cardinal Nicodemus

Cardinal Nicodemus

    Member

  • Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Horus Aximand steps in and leads a new Black Crusade.



#3 Santiago

Santiago

    Veteran

  • Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 12:02 AM

1) Abaddon burns a fate point and the forces of chaos save him....
2) GW comes up with an even more powerful Chaos Overlord
3) One of the two (or both) of the Lost Chapters come over and present their version of Abaddon
4) He was eaten by Tyranid and thus Holy Terra was already eaten and its game over
5) The God Emperor takes his place
6) He is elevated to Daemon Prince and continues to serve

I would say options 1, 2 or 6



#4 Gaius

Gaius

    Member

  • Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 03:58 AM

Woah woah two or six? You almost make it sound like Games Workshop is willing to change big things in the universe on a meaningful scale, no their more about making wide sweeping non sensical small details to factions that drastically change what they are like... usually by means of Matt Ward! Such as you know turning the Grey Knights into a bunch of Xanthites who're immune to Chaos as opposed to having to still try and resist it and being all the more impressive for suceeding...

They wont change something like that... lets look at his Warhammer Fantasy battle equivelant Archaon who messed up and lost a big chaos incursion they didn't even turn him into a Chaos spawn because the Chaos gods are you know ok with failure on a massive scale and let him off where all of his predecessors had the good grace to die. [Inaudible grumbles]

But as for the Black Legion Little Horus would be a likely contender if Archaon kicked the bucket as new leader. If developments did happen perhaps someone from the Word Bearers might step up to lead more of the vast hordes of Chaos.



#5 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

    Part-Time Super Villian

  • Members
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:14 AM

Back during the big Eye of Terror summer event several years ago, which revolved around Abbaddon's 13th Black Crusade against Cadia, GW stated that the outcome of that campaign would effect the official history of the 40K universe: if the Loyalists won, itwould mark the beginning of a new "golden age" for the Imperium, while if Chaos won, the Imperium was pretty much doomed. Chaos won, due in large part to most of the official event scenarios being weighted in Chaos' favor (explain to me how an invading force can ambush entrenched defenders on a Fortress World?!). So officially, a century after the setting of the WH40KRP games, Abbaddon and the Planet Killer are en route to Holy Terra. If Abbaddon were to somehow die before arriving, I doubt it would cause much of a ripple amongst his warhost...
 



#6 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

    Part-Time Super Villian

  • Members
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Oops- double post.



#7 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

    Member

  • Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:11 PM

Gaius said:

Woah woah two or six? You almost make it sound like Games Workshop is willing to change big things in the universe on a meaningful scale, no their more about making wide sweeping non sensical small details to factions that drastically change what they are like... usually by means of Matt Ward! Such as you know turning the Grey Knights into a bunch of Xanthites who're immune to Chaos as opposed to having to still try and resist it and being all the more impressive for suceeding...

They wont change something like that... lets look at his Warhammer Fantasy battle equivelant Archaon who messed up and lost a big chaos incursion they didn't even turn him into a Chaos spawn because the Chaos gods are you know ok with failure on a massive scale and let him off where all of his predecessors had the good grace to die. [Inaudible grumbles]

But as for the Black Legion Little Horus would be a likely contender if Archaon kicked the bucket as new leader. If developments did happen perhaps someone from the Word Bearers might step up to lead more of the vast hordes of Chaos.

I hate the Word Bearers, but that's mostly because of Erebus, Lorgar, and Kor Phaeron, from the Horus Heresy series.

And frankly, when you take in all the information, the change in attitude of the Grey Knights makes a bit more sense. They're all about fighting Daemons and stopping the Warp from breaching reality. What if they were confronted with a situation where the ONLY WAY to stop something was to resort to using the powers of Chaos themselves (and you know I don't mean psychic powers). Maybe there are other means that can get the job done, but you won't always have a vial of Sanguinius' tears, or something, to throw in to the growing breach.

So, what to do? Should they just curl up in to a ball and die because they've failed? And they've failed, even if they go out in a blaze of glory, carving through Daemonic hordes the whole damn way. And, while it is also a bit of fairly new fluff (a reinterpretation really), that's what the Grey Knights aren't supposed to let happen. They're called in when the **** is really hitting the fan, with the orders to stop what's happening at all costs.

I'm not saying there isn't bad fluff, but when we look at something we should do it with a more critical eye than simply saying it sucks because, "Matt Ward wrote this".



#8 Ixionyx

Ixionyx

    Member

  • Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:46 PM

 No matter how powerful Abaddon is, he is still just one guy.  If he dies, Chaos loses nothing...  The Black Legion will either splinter into other warbands again or fall behind a new chaos lord with the might and charisma to lead them.  No big deal to Chaos, in fact the radical changes probably suit the ruinous powers.



#9 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

    Member

  • Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:56 AM

Adeptus-B said:

Chaos won, due in large part to most of the official event scenarios being weighted in Chaos' favor (explain to me how an invading force can ambush entrenched defenders on a Fortress World?!). So officially, a century after the setting of the WH40KRP games, Abbaddon and the Planet Killer are en route to Holy Terra. If Abbaddon were to somehow die before arriving, I doubt it would cause much of a ripple amongst his warhost...

Wait what... where the hell does it say any of this about the Imperium ending in a century? More to the point, where the hell does it say it's official.

Especially since, if I remember correctly, the BFG side of things was a sweeping victory for the Imperials.



#10 Morangias

Morangias

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:31 AM

Blood Pact said:

And frankly, when you take in all the information, the change in attitude of the Grey Knights makes a bit more sense. They're all about fighting Daemons and stopping the Warp from breaching reality. What if they were confronted with a situation where the ONLY WAY to stop something was to resort to using the powers of Chaos themselves (and you know I don't mean psychic powers). Maybe there are other means that can get the job done, but you won't always have a vial of Sanguinius' tears, or something, to throw in to the growing breach.

So, what to do? Should they just curl up in to a ball and die because they've failed? And they've failed, even if they go out in a blaze of glory, carving through Daemonic hordes the whole damn way. And, while it is also a bit of fairly new fluff (a reinterpretation really), that's what the Grey Knights aren't supposed to let happen. They're called in when the **** is really hitting the fan, with the orders to stop what's happening at all costs.

I'm not saying there isn't bad fluff, but when we look at something we should do it with a more critical eye than simply saying it sucks because, "Matt Ward wrote this".

Grey Knights willing to go Xanthite are imaginable. A letdown for many, but it can make sense.

Grey Knights going full Xanthite yet remaining incorruptible make no sense at all. You dabble in Chaos, Chaos dabbles in you. 


There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.


#11 Adept Orcadius

Adept Orcadius

    Member

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:37 AM

Blood Pact said:

I'm not saying there isn't bad fluff, but when we look at something we should do it with a more critical eye than simply saying it sucks because, "Matt Ward wrote this".

Just for the record that -IS- a totally legit arguement strategy and point. but I will agree with you that the Word Bearers can lick smeg as I too have grown to loath them from reading the HH series.



#12 Adept Orcadius

Adept Orcadius

    Member

  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:39 AM

Morangias said:

Grey Knights willing to go Xanthite are imaginable. A letdown for many, but it can make sense.

Grey Knights going full Xanthite yet remaining incorruptible make no sense at all. You dabble in Chaos, Chaos dabbles in you. 

Wasn't there a part in the Gre Knights Codex about them annointing themselves in the blood of the Sisters of Battle they butchered because they claimed that the Sisters were "tainted by Chaos"???? hmmmmm......seems pretty khornite to me..



#13 Adeptus-B

Adeptus-B

    Part-Time Super Villian

  • Members
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:43 AM

Blood Pact said:

Adeptus-B said:

Chaos won, due in large part to most of the official event scenarios being weighted in Chaos' favor (explain to me how an invading force can ambush entrenched defenders on a Fortress World?!). So officially, a century after the setting of the WH40KRP games, Abbaddon and the Planet Killer are en route to Holy Terra. If Abbaddon were to somehow die before arriving, I doubt it would cause much of a ripple amongst his warhost...

 

Wait what... where the hell does it say any of this about the Imperium ending in a century? More to the point, where the hell does it say it's official.

Especially since, if I remember correctly, the BFG side of things was a sweeping victory for the Imperials.

The statement I was refering to was in a White Dwarf promoting the Eye of Terror campaign. And the doom of the Imperium has been officially incorporated into the background fluff of the latest edition of the tabletop game- it doesn't expressly state that the Planet Killer destroys Terra, but it makes it clear that the Imperium is dying and won't last long into the 42nd Millenium.



#14 CorpseGod

CorpseGod

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 01:14 PM

Adeptus-B said:

The statement I was refering to was in a White Dwarf promoting the Eye of Terror campaign. And the doom of the Imperium has been officially incorporated into the background fluff of the latest edition of the tabletop game- it doesn't expressly state that the Planet Killer destroys Terra, but it makes it clear that the Imperium is dying and won't last long into the 42nd Millenium.

So

Abbaddon blows up Terra, finally releasing the Emperor's soul from the Golden Throne and allowing him to be reincarnated. He leads a new Crusade to unite the Imperium.

Or

Abbaddon blows up Terra, destroying the High Lords (why do I think of Cheech and Chong there?), causing the Imperium to fracture.  Now, every time two different IG regiments line up on the tourney board, it actually makes sense.This causes another event on the order of the Age of Apostasy. After several centuries of fragmentation, a new Sebastian Thor like figure emerges and leads a new crusade to unite humanity.

A couple of wild cards are also out there: Cypher/the rest of the Fallen and Alpha Legion. Both have had a bit of fluff attached to them over the years that could be spun to be interpreted as they are acting more like Recongegators or Istvaanians than foes of the imperial ideal



#15 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

    Member

  • Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:34 AM

Morangias said:

Grey Knights willing to go Xanthite are imaginable. A letdown for many, but it can make sense.

Grey Knights going full Xanthite yet remaining incorruptible make no sense at all. You dabble in Chaos, Chaos dabbles in you.

Unless your WIll is that strong.



#16 harlokin

harlokin

    Member

  • Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:33 AM

Blood Pact said:

Morangias said:

Grey Knights willing to go Xanthite are imaginable. A letdown for many, but it can make sense.

 

Grey Knights going full Xanthite yet remaining incorruptible make no sense at all. You dabble in Chaos, Chaos dabbles in you.

 

Unless your WIll is that strong.

Exactly.....what Magnus thought

Incorruptibility does not sit well with me in 40K as a grimdark setting.



#17 DJSunhammer

DJSunhammer

    Member

  • Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:21 PM

Adept Orcadius said:

Morangias said:

 

Grey Knights willing to go Xanthite are imaginable. A letdown for many, but it can make sense.

Grey Knights going full Xanthite yet remaining incorruptible make no sense at all. You dabble in Chaos, Chaos dabbles in you. 

 

 

Wasn't there a part in the Gre Knights Codex about them annointing themselves in the blood of the Sisters of Battle they butchered because they claimed that the Sisters were "tainted by Chaos"???? hmmmmm......seems pretty khornite to me..

They did do this. But not because the Sisters were impure. They did it because the WERE pure, and their blood was armor against the Bloodtide or somesuch.



#18 somnium

somnium

    Member

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Firstly, let us put some things into place.

One would definitely have to remember that the Chaos Legions are by no means Chaos itself. The ruinous powers are a sum of the collective feelings of all sentient races, and they do not devote a large portion of their attention to the Imperium. The war they are fighting is the so-called Great Game, symbolically depicted by infinite clashes of demonic armies in the improbable fortresses of the daemon worlds within the warp. It is mainly a dialectic battle, a war for the prevalence of a certain feeling within the minds of the sentient entities in the galaxy (those connected to the warp, at least). After all, if there's something the Great Crusade ought to have taught to the unenlightened Imperials, it is that he who sows bloodlust and extermination shall harvest violence to a degree greater than he expected (ergo horus' apostasy). The enlightened have learned this truth form Khorne.

 

So, let's get to the matter at hand.

The above comes to signify two things: that destroying the Imperium is mainly an agenda of the Chaos Legions, not the Chaos Gods (they wouldn't mind, but it's definitely not their purpose), and that Abaddon is quite a small fry in the grand scheme of things (and the Dark Gods care only for the grand scheme). If he were to die, his place in the Black Legion would probably be filled by Aximand, or someone else who would be able to wield that power.  As for the Black Crusades, let us remember that there are still six Deamon Primarchs in the warp, and countless Greater Demons etc, who could easily call a Black Crusade.

 

For further regarding Chaos in the WH universe, I would strongly recommend the Liber Chaotica series.

 

PS. Matt Ward's GK stuff is indeed sub-par, cheesy and repulsive. As is the rest of his work.

 

 



#19 Jackal_Strain

Jackal_Strain

    Member

  • Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

I think a lot of people i this thread are underestimating the importance and unique position Abaddon holds. There's a reason he is the only on, ONLY ONE, in 10,000 years to mount, not one, but 13 black crusades. No one else has ever come close to assembling a force like he has. All this has been achieved by his unquestionable force of will, charisma and the power to back up his promises... and threats.

I'm not an Abaddon fanboy by any stretch, but claiming that someone else would just swoop in and take his place is wishful thinking. There's absolutely nothing in the established background that anyone else is even remotely capable of doing such a thing.

 

It also irks me to read that he has failed 13 times and that he should either be a spawn or killed because of it.  He hasn't failed 13 times. He's succeeded. TNone of the 13 crusades had the destruction of the Imperium as it's primary objective, but each has hurt the Imperium in a way that has paved a way for the next crusade, and every time he gets one step closer to the final prize, Terra.

The only reason gw hasn't launched the 14th black crusade is because it sounds stupid. the 13th sounds cool.

 



#20 Reverend mort

Reverend mort

    Member

  • Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:28 AM

Jackal_Strain said:

I think a lot of people i this thread are underestimating the importance and unique position Abaddon holds. There's a reason he is the only on, ONLY ONE, in 10,000 years to mount, not one, but 13 black crusades. No one else has ever come close to assembling a force like he has. All this has been achieved by his unquestionable force of will, charisma and the power to back up his promises... and threats.

I'm not an Abaddon fanboy by any stretch, but claiming that someone else would just swoop in and take his place is wishful thinking. There's absolutely nothing in the established background that anyone else is even remotely capable of doing such a thing.

 

It also irks me to read that he has failed 13 times and that he should either be a spawn or killed because of it.  He hasn't failed 13 times. He's succeeded. TNone of the 13 crusades had the destruction of the Imperium as it's primary objective, but each has hurt the Imperium in a way that has paved a way for the next crusade, and every time he gets one step closer to the final prize, Terra.

The only reason gw hasn't launched the 14th black crusade is because it sounds stupid. the 13th sounds cool.



Yes... and no. While Abaddon is certainly a badass (with painfully silly hair) the truth is that, in the eyes of the chaos gods, nobody is unique. And if Abaddon snuffs it, I doubt his current crusade will merely pout and disband. No, there will be huge infighting as a bunch of big wigs all compete for the glory of taking charge, one will crawl atop the heap of dead enemies and eventually all other contenders will realize their chances are too small and back down. The Crusade will continue, in whatever direction the new leader sees fit.

And, most likely, sooner or later someone will go "Abaddon wasn't that hardcore, he had the silliest hair of all time!" go and do a shitload of epic quests, earn their own Unique Mark of Chaos, show it off to all their friends, punch all their enemies in the balls, kick whoever won off the giant corpse pile, declare themselves the Chosen Champion of Chaos and throw Crusades all over the place. This person will most likely be a PC.

Also, while Abaddon has lead a bunch of crusades, the truth is that he not the be all end all of Chaos champions. The fact that he doesn't rock horns, scaly skin and his own personal Daemonic Fiefdom as a Daemon Prince is proof enough of that.

However, there is one thing nobody has mentioned. If Abaddon dies, Perry, minor chaos god of bad hair, dies with him. In fact, with his passing, all other hair will become slightly better by the mere absence of Abaddon's incredibly uncool hair pike and the chaos god it personally sustains.






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS