• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ffgjosh

ffgjosh

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

Welcome!

We're glad to have you as a part of the A Game of Thrones: The Card Game community. We at Fantasy Flight Games are proud of the thematic and mechanical options this game provides its players, and we're also aware that its six houses, large card pool, and rich gameplay might prove a bit overwhelming as you decide how to move beyond your first Core Set and into the other wonders held within the world of A Song of Ice and Fire.

This thread contains answers to questions common among new players and links to resources valued by new and experienced players alike. If you don't find the answers among the links from this thread, then ask the players in the forums here. It's a friendly community.

We hope this thread will help you find ways to better enjoy the only game that matters!

#2 WWDrakey

WWDrakey

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 07:19 PM

Editor's Note: If a link doesn't work at first, you should be able to follow it by right-clicking and opening it in a new tab.

You can find some often occurring questions and answers in these forums:

1. Information on the Seasons mechanic. Usually comes in the form "How do I know if it's Summer or Winter?", but there's also the sligthly advanced "What cards make it Summer/Winter, and where can I obtain them?" -version.

Answers:

Answers to the more basic question are here. More advanced question here and here, plus there's also some more specific info on the trickier parts ("Can it be both Winter and Summer at the same time?") at least here. (Oh, and more threads at least here and here)

2. Information on what the different expansions are like (what CP cycles you should get, which expansions have been reprinted with 3x of all cards) and how you should proceed with expanding your playset is also quite often repeated.

Answers: Information on what sets have been or are being modernized is at least here (also some info on difference between LCG/CCG) and here. (Also related thread here) Now there's a huge pile of the the threads with the questions about what to get next... here (also info on online retailers), here, here, here and here. Phew. 

3. Instructions for Deckbuilding, what are the rules for a legal deck compositiion.

Answers: Here is a good one.

4. Info on more balanced beginner decks, than the ones found in the Core Set is sometimes discussed as well.

Answers: Found a thread here.

5. Links to the major community resources (search engines etc.)

Answers: Here at least.

Phew. I'm pretty sure there's a ton of other stuff, but I'll let someone else continue. :)

(Oh, and if I missed an important thread on one of these subjects, please correct me)

#3 ffgjosh

ffgjosh

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:28 AM

Below are links to some other resources you may find helpful.

Searchable card databases:
AGOTCards (This site requires that you register to join.)
A Game of Thrones LCG - card search
AGOT Dabbler (A clean and concise search engine, but not the most up-to-date.)
CardGameDB

Link to list of AGOT products?
A Game of Thrones: The Card Game - Products page (A complete list of all products available for A Game of Thrones: The Card Game with links to the FFG webstore.)

Learn about the game by reading articles, finding decklists, and listening to podcasts by experienced players:
CardGameDB (CardGameDB hosts decklists, articles, the Thrones Times newsletter, 2 Champs And A Chump podcasts, strategy guides, and more.)

The HBO series homepage.

George R.R. Martin's official website.

Rules, the latest FAQ, archived champion-level decklists, a video tutorial, and more are available on the game's support page.

#4 Staton

Staton

• Members
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:58 AM

This is very much appreciated. Thanks FFG!

#5 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 12:28 PM

Super helpful way for me to direct our new players to the answers they seek.

#6 Darke

Darke

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

I remember there was a "new player's guide" that was used to be hosted on FFG's old AGoT CCG site years ago (back in 2007 was the last time I think I accessed it). I thought it was actually a pretty good resource. I even printed it off and cannot find where I put. Does anyone have a link anywhere to it? 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS