Elder Sign Official FAQ now available

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

Now available in low and high res. Elder Sign FAQ (low-res) Elder Sign FAQ (high-res).

Seems to answer a lot of the outstanding questions.

#2 xfoley8

xfoley8

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Most of these updates are logical and seem like common sense, given the lack of difficulty as written (I have been playing most of the FAQ updates all along, it turns out).  However, there are a few surprises to me:

1.)  The wild side of the red die can be used for 4 Investigations.  Really?  That means two sides of the die are now 4 (and there is no 1), which seems too beneficial.  I would think the original intention was for the wild side to have that ability, but for the side that reads 4 to have been a 1 instead.  I think I will continue to play it as written in the rule book.  The wild doesn't have to be 100% beneficial.

2.)  Sister Mary's ability to ignore trapped dice also seems too powerful as written, especially playing solo.  I think that ability should be like Mandy Thompson's- once per day, on any character (after all, isn't that what 'guardian angel' implies?)  I will play it once a day.

3.)  Continue to add doom and move the clock for investigators devoured during the final battle.  Duh!  Makes perfect sense thematically, but I never thought to do it.  If you really want to crank up the difficulty, keep track of all devoured investigators, and continue to move the clock for all of them during the whole game!

4.)  You can use an item that says 'defeat a monster' on monsters in other locations than where you are.  Again, really?  Although some of the ordered tasks do become very difficult with a monster at the bottom, this seems a little cheap and easy.  I suppose I will play this one as written in the FAQ, though I think the only reason to rule it this way is because of the handful of very difficult adventures referenced above.  

5.)  You can use whiskey/food to pay sanity/stamina task costs.  This could save you from being devoured, but again, it feels cheap.  Thematically, you'd drink away your nightmares or replenish with food afterwards, not throw your whiskey/food at the monster/hallway on fire to keep you from going insane or dying from smoke inhalation (well, maybe if your food was water...)! 

#3 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote.  Many things make sense, but some do not at all.  As expected, many things conformed to the rules for the Omens app, but then again, some things don't, which may seem confusing when switching between the versions.

I'm disappointed about the change with spells.  I prefer the original rules where you had to play them before rolling... made them more interesting and challenging and a little risky, but still often very useful and powerful.  So I'll probably continue playing that way.  I'm glad you can still keep dice on spells for other investigators to use, though.  That's not the case in Omens, but I like that as a tactical option.  I was thinking that might be scrapped to conform to Omens.

Anyway, it is what it is, and whatever it is, it was sorely needed.  So if this is the game system, better clarified, then the next thing they really need to address is the #1 problem with the game (by far), that it's too easy.  Presumably there will be some expansions coming that will add some difficulty.

#4 Regulator18

Regulator18

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

Awesome, this answers all the major questions.  They came out how most people figured too.  I think most people were guessing that you put the monsters back in the monster cup for example.  Plus we had made a house rule that said, you couldnt just stack all the monsters at the bottom of one Adventure card, you had to distribute them evenly.  And I see the new rules basically make that house rule official now.  Thanks for the FAQ FFG, and thanks for posting it Xris! 

#5 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:39 AM

Something that baffles me after the FAQ:

In the spells clarification, it says "before any roll, a player may remove some or all of the dice held on spells in order to roll them".

Aren't dice held on spells supposed to be added to the roll result and not rolled? i.e., if I need two Peril results on a task and I roll, getting one such result, am I not eligible to cast a spell, then save that Peril result on it and then to re-roll, hoping to get one more Peril result and then add the one held on my spell, so as to have the two required? What is that "in order to roll them" nonsense?

#6 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

Serazu said:

Something that baffles me after the FAQ:

In the spells clarification, it says "before any roll, a player may remove some or all of the dice held on spells in order to roll them".

Aren't dice held on spells supposed to be added to the roll result and not rolled? i.e., if I need two Peril results on a task and I roll, getting one such result, am I not eligible to cast a spell, then save that Peril result on it and then to re-roll, hoping to get one more Peril result and then add the one held on my spell, so as to have the two required? What is that "in order to roll them" nonsense?

You are mis-understanding the intent of the clarification.

At the start of your turn, let's say there is a spell with a Lore on it. You want to complete a task that has two Peril. You can't (or don't want to) play any Items to give you the Yellow or Red dice so that means you only have 5 Green dice to roll.

That spell is a hindrance, it's "locking" a green dice and the result, a Lore, doesn't help you complete a task.

Before you roll (note: before) you "may remove some or all of the dice held on spells in order to roll them". This means you can, before you roll, remove the green dice from the Spell (the unwanted Lore) and add it to your dice pool. The Spell is discarded.

You now roll 6 green dice instead of 5 and hope to be able to roll the required 2 Peril.

The point is that the clarification now allows you to remove "unneeded" dice from Spells before you roll. In the example I gave, if you wanted the Lore result the Spell held then of course you would not remove it, you would roll and then use the Lore result held by the Spell.

If the Spell held a Yellow dice (for example), then you could play an Item that allowed you to add a Yellow die to your dice pool and then you would be allowed to remove the Yellow dice from the Spell and then roll it with the other dice.

#7 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 05:54 AM

So, the spell allows me to use the die attached as I see fit: either keep it as it is or roll it.

Ok, got it. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS