What the future brings?

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

It looks like Hero's Call will be soon avaliable - can't wait.

So it's time for speculations what will be next.

I hope to see a wood elf or high elf expansion the same type Black Fire Pass was for dwarfs.

And after this a some good expansions about the whole Empire, great cities and provinces with a lot of fluff in it.

In this game we are missing a lot of good stuff that, as I heared, was in the prevoius.

I'm playing this game and I'm not interested in buying the previous to get some discriptions of the Empire and other countires like Breton, Border Princes or Kislev. I wat it in this edition.

And if this stuff will not come then I want a new edition of the game that will have it!

#2 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

I can't see a high elf expansion until they are ready to show rules for High Magic, which is beyond the scope of the RPG, imo.

Wood elves works, but are we talking about the ones living in the Empire still or Athel Loren (sp?) who shoot you for walking into their woods?

I'd rather see halflings and more regions of the Empire, as well as travelling.

#3 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

I would really like more campaigns, more more more. Sadly I don't have enough free time to prepare my own adventures, nothing to say campaigns...

Regarding extra supplements I also think that one of  Elves would be nice. I think you can prepare a supplement of elves without High Magic, just say it is out of the scope of PC's and focus on culture and social /combat oriented careers background etc.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#4 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 04:43 AM

I'm thinking we will begin to see the formation of the "Grand Campaign" of this edition.  They will likley be following the story arch of the Storm of Chaos, which ran on the tabletop games a few years back (5 years?).  Im thinking this because they specifically chose to place the RPG setting in the 'past', before Archaeon led his armies down south to F-up Talabheim.  All the special characters that have been introduced to date center around this conflict.

I'm guessing we as players and GMs will be reliving the buildup and culmination of the Storm of Chaos through a series of increasingly high level adventures over the course of the year. 

Just a thought.

Gitz

#5 Sebashaw

Sebashaw

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:15 AM

I hope in something for the High Elves and the Wood Elves.

#6 Nisses

Nisses

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:52 AM

I'm going for Elves as well.
Wood Elves in the Empire, with a good chapter about Ulthuan & Athel Loren.

Once Elves are covered, I'm all for Gitzman's idea of the big campaign to tie the whole edition together.

#7 Gitzman

Gitzman

• Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:17 AM

If we are pinning our bets to what we thing the next supplement to be released is:

I'd guessing High Elves coupled with a tad of Dark Elves.  Im guessing it will be in similar format to the Dwarven supplement, mainly concentrating on High Elf Culture, with a High Elf adventure dealing with Dark Elves. 

Wood Elves i think will take a back burner for quite some time still.

Gitz

#8 Dionysos

Dionysos

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

That Hero's Call is about to release and we have no idea about what comes after makes me nervous that HC is going to be a swan song for WHRP3. I really hope I am wrong about that, though! I have no interest in a new edition when there is still so much ground for this one to cover.

I also would love to see a supplement about the various sorts of Elves that inhabit the Warhammer world. There is no reason that rules for High Magic could not be included. High Magic has existed as a playable option in Warhammer Fantasy battle for a long time now without overwhelming the other types of magic, and there is no reason the RPG couldn't make the same thing happen.

#9 bigity

bigity

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

Ugh why did you say that, I was about to dive into 3rd edition :(

Just have the Player's Guide right now.

#10 Doc, the Weasel

Doc, the Weasel

Pretending to be many, many things.

• Members
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:32 PM

High Magic will be included in 3ed as it always has been in WFRP: as GM fiat.

Listen to my actual play podcasts at BeggingForXP.com.

Take a look at my Talent Trees (Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion), YT-2400 deck plans for the Lazy Bantha, as well as my other handouts.

#11 ragnar63

ragnar63

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:53 AM

After Heroes Call, my guess is that they will concentrate on getting a proper campaign out. That will probably take up much of the rest of the release schedule for this year, unless they are planning on releasing it, much too slowly. I am hoping that they will expand on the power struggle in Ubersreik as outlined in Lure Of Power. That looks fascinating!

#12 Dionysos

Dionysos

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

More than anything, even more than an Elf supplement or an epic campaign or anything else, I'd like to see an outline of a 2012 release schedule. I don't even care if there are exact release dates or anything like that. Just some hints of what they are working on for the coming year, after Hero's Call is out. Even some teaser images with "sometime in the 2nd or 3rd quarter 2012" is enough to chew on for now.

#13 angrydragon

angrydragon

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

Dionysos said:

More than anything, even more than an Elf supplement or an epic campaign or anything else, I'd like to see an outline of a 2012 release schedule. I don't even care if there are exact release dates or anything like that. Just some hints of what they are working on for the coming year, after Hero's Call is out. Even some teaser images with "sometime in the 2nd or 3rd quarter 2012" is enough to chew on for now.

Yes im with you.i would like to know at least 2 or 3 supplements in advance would be nice

#14 korknadel

korknadel

• Members
  • 137 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:07 PM

Dionysos said:

Yes!! Totally and absolutely: Yes! Who cares about release dates. They are erratic anyway, I mean, most of the time I have to wait for new products even after they are released because they arrive at a later date in Europe. I don't want to know when things are published, I only want to know what will be published!

#15 pumpkin

pumpkin

• Members
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:07 AM

ragnar63 said:

After Heroes Call, my guess is that they will concentrate on getting a proper campaign out. That will probably take up much of the rest of the release schedule for this year, unless they are planning on releasing it, much too slowly. I am hoping that they will expand on the power struggle in Ubersreik as outlined in Lure Of Power. That looks fascinating!

The problem with a campaign is that normally only 1 person in the group buys it (the GM), I'm not sure they'd want their enitre release schedule for a year to only be bought by 1 person in each group. Having siad that most of the expansions so far are probably only being bought by the GM in each group anyway?

It would be interestig to know if players have bought the signs of faith expansion for example, because they are playing a priest, or if the majority of buys in the group have been by the GM (dice, player's guide etc being theobvious exception).

The other problem with a campaign is that not every GM buys it, as they are playing homebrews, or it doesn't fit in with where they are with the current published adventures etc, so I think FFG dedicating resource to a campaign could be a big risk.

Having said that, I guess a campaign that really becomes lengendary could help increase the sales of WFRP generally, but I still think it is a big risk.

I think FFG have more or less get it right so far in that in each adventure that they release, a major new adversary type or PC/NPC is provided, along with action cards so that even if the adventure itself isn't of total value to the playing group, the stuff that comes in the box is.

Personally, I think they'll continue in that vein for future products.

#16 Brottok

Brottok

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:47 AM

I would love to read more about Ulthuan and the Dark elf lands in the far west, but there is a problem with that release, because what I have learned is that Ulthuan is closed for everyone except High Elves... So if you are a Reiklander you are probably not permitted and your ship will probably sink a LONG way from Ulthuan. So I hope they dont make a big release with that in mind because I dont want to tell my players to make new characters because we have a new release we have to test... The answer will surely be: NO

But I would love to have Ulthuan as a book because I love this world and would like to read as much as there is about it

So in my opinion if they are releasing any elf material at all, it should be about elves in the Old world as because I think this is the place where most of us spends our playtime. Right?

But It would be awesome to have a whole group of High elf characters adventuring on Ulthuan , but if I gotta pick i rather go with Old world elves or rather a long campaign with a "war" between The Empire and Bretonnia. I would love to have the time and imagination to do a whole 3 book campaign about the buildup to war - trying to find the culprit behind - and then stopping it before its to late. It would be many playnights with alot of "power behind the throne" feelings. And for once it doesnt have to be chaos that is behind, It could be another country or a High ranking Noble who wants the country/throne for himself :)

Sorry! Im ranting once again

#17 lazerjones

lazerjones

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

As a GM and a potentialy buyer this is what I would love to see:

A dungeon crawl set with lots of traps, nasty monsters and gloomy locations. It could be like a  undead thomb scenario or a lost Karak!

A big city expansion with a focus on how to do city questing and on a specik city like Marienburg, Altdorf or Nuln.

An elf expansion Highelf vs Darkelf (maybe including woodelfs as well).

A wicked expansion. How to play bad guy ( a little like Black Crusade)

#18 Beren Eoath

Beren Eoath

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 08:26 PM

Ok, so now we have Hero's Call. So when we are going to hear some announcement of future expansions? Wht will come after Hero's Call?

#19 Gallows

Gallows

• Members
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 10:48 PM

pumpkin said:

ragnar63 said:

The problem with a campaign is that normally only 1 person in the group buys it (the GM), I'm not sure they'd want their enitre release schedule for a year to only be bought by 1 person in each group. Having siad that most of the expansions so far are probably only being bought by the GM in each group anyway?

It would be interestig to know if players have bought the signs of faith expansion for example, because they are playing a priest, or if the majority of buys in the group have been by the GM (dice, player's guide etc being theobvious exception).

The other problem with a campaign is that not every GM buys it, as they are playing homebrews, or it doesn't fit in with where they are with the current published adventures etc, so I think FFG dedicating resource to a campaign could be a big risk.

Having said that, I guess a campaign that really becomes lengendary could help increase the sales of WFRP generally, but I still think it is a big risk.

I think FFG have more or less get it right so far in that in each adventure that they release, a major new adversary type or PC/NPC is provided, along with action cards so that even if the adventure itself isn't of total value to the playing group, the stuff that comes in the box is.

The great campaigns and adventure material is what MADE Warhammer. Without it, it would just have been another RPG. The great campaigns and adventures of the past are what made warhammer epic. If FFG fail to recognize that, they'll miss out on a lot of future sales.

TEW alone made warhammer epic. That's what people really talk about. That fantastic campaign they played over a year. Not the system.

#20 superklaus

superklaus

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:02 AM

Gallows said:

pumpkin said:

ragnar63 said:

The great campaigns and adventure material is what MADE Warhammer. Without it, it would just have been another RPG. The great campaigns and adventures of the past are what made warhammer epic. If FFG fail to recognize that, they'll miss out on a lot of future sales.

TEW alone made warhammer epic. That's what people really talk about. That fantastic campaign they played over a year. Not the system.

Yes. Without TEW, Warhammer would have been stayed a miniatures game. This campaign is one of the pinnacles of roleplaying culture.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS