What sets should I get?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Shad0wdrag0n

Shad0wdrag0n

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:01 AM

I got the Game of Thrones core set for christmas and now I'm wondering what I should be getting next. Therte are so many sets and it's all worth so much money it's all very overwhelming. So, what sets should I absolutely get, which sets should I avoid getting, which sets are obsolete because all the cards have been reprinted in newer sets? Should I avoid the 40-card packs and just go for the 60-card packs? Are the deluxe expansions still worth getting? Any help I can get on where I should go next with this game would be greatly appreciated.

#2 AceManUSC

AceManUSC

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:54 AM

I jumped in with both feet last Spring and started buying it all up. I now own every chapter and deluxe expansion there is. I also bought an extra core since many of those cards are very useful and only come 1x in the Core Set.

You need to play with all 4 houses from the core set, get at least 5 games in with each house. Find a local playgroup in your area. Get beat by their decks and read all their cards while playing them. Ask questions and observe the combos they do, they strategies. Ask them what the theme and sub themes they are running in their decks.

All of this will help you learn how the different houses play, what the strengths and weaknesses are. Each one has unique play styles, there are some overlapping attributes, but they all play differently. Once you have been exposed, it should help you decide how you want to play and how you want to spend your money. The two websites below offer card lists with pictures of every card that comes in each chapter pack and the deluxe expansions:

agot.dbler.com/

www.cardgamedb.com

#3 Shad0wdrag0n

Shad0wdrag0n

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

I wish I could get everything, but that would be something like $700, which is a little out of my price range unless I can find some VERY good discounts.

#4 Penfold

Penfold

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

I would recommend getting the Kings of the Sea and Princes of the Sun Expansion as your first and second purchases. Next buy the current cycle as it comes out, Tales of Champions. As you go from there I would recommend the other deluxe expansions in this order, Queen of Dragons, Lions of the Rock, Kings of the Storm, and then Lords of Winter. Honestly when you have all of those you could easily stop and play games for a year or more with nothing else... though keeping up with the monthly expansions is ridiculously easy.

#5 berto

berto

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 12:25 AM

I suggest fo buy from me one of my three sets. I have currently Lanni, GJ and Bara almost everything from whole LCG. All you can fing in trade forum. This is the best to start playing with 1-3 houses for small amount of money and have almost allhouse related cards available.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS