• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

Good day,

After my first playthrough in the game, there were a few issues that arose. Could you please enlighten me?

1. Concerning the “Quick Strike” event, can I use it to attack an enemy who is in the staging area or do I have to be engaged with it?

2. When I attack an enemy with the above event, do I deal a Shadow card to my adversary?

3. Do I reveal a card during the Staging step of the Quest phase even if I did not commit any character beforehand?

4. Does the Quest Resolution step of the above phase resolve, even if I haven't got characters committed to the quest? If, for instance, a location with threat 2 is in the staging area and there are no characters committed, does the threat raise by 2?

5. Do I deal Shadow cards to enemies engaged who are prevented from attacking, i.e. by a card such as Forest Snare?

6. During the Combat phase, may I attack an enemy who attacked in the previous stage of the phase? I guess so, otherwise I would only be able to attack only once in a while and only against opponents forbidden from attacking.

7. Do enemies exhaust?

Thanks.

#2 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

Serazu said:

Good day,

After my first playthrough in the game, there were a few issues that arose. Could you please enlighten me?

1. Concerning the “Quick Strike” event, can I use it to attack an enemy who is in the staging area or do I have to be engaged with it?

2. When I attack an enemy with the above event, do I deal a Shadow card to my adversary?

3. Do I reveal a card during the Staging step of the Quest phase even if I did not commit any character beforehand?

4. Does the Quest Resolution step of the above phase resolve, even if I haven't got characters committed to the quest? If, for instance, a location with threat 2 is in the staging area and there are no characters committed, does the threat raise by 2?

5. Do I deal Shadow cards to enemies engaged who are prevented from attacking, i.e. by a card such as Forest Snare?

6. During the Combat phase, may I attack an enemy who attacked in the previous stage of the phase? I guess so, otherwise I would only be able to attack only once in a while and only against opponents forbidden from attacking.

7. Do enemies exhaust?

Thanks.

1. No, unless you use Dunhere to attack. This is answered in the new FAQ from FFG I believe. http://www.fantasyfl...eidm=129&esem=4

2. No, because only you attack.

3. You do reveal a card whether you commit somebody or not.

4. Yes

5. Yes

6. Yes

7. It would´t matter..........you can exhaust them to indicate if they already attacked you or not...........otherwise it´s useless.

#3 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:58 PM

Thanx. Two more questions:

1. I may use an action that does not demand to exhaust somebody / something, as many times as I can, as long as I am able to pay the cost, right? i.e., if Protector of Lorien is attached to my hero, I may discard all the cards in my hand, to give him the equivalent number of Will / Def, in the form of Action + Action etc. Am I correct?

2. When I use the Strider's Path event, do I skip the Quest resolution?

#4 muemakan

muemakan

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

Serazu said:

Thanx. Two more questions:

1. I may use an action that does not demand to exhaust somebody / something, as many times as I can, as long as I am able to pay the cost, right? i.e., if Protector of Lorien is attached to my hero, I may discard all the cards in my hand, to give him the equivalent number of Will / Def, in the form of Action + Action etc. Am I correct?

2. When I use the Strider's Path event, do I skip the Quest resolution?

1. Yes

2. No, up until now you never ever skip quest resolution...........maybe there´ll come a time in the future where we can.

#5 DavFlamerock

DavFlamerock

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:09 AM

I'm fairly certain that if an enemy is forbidden from attacking (Feint, Forest Snare, etc) then they do not get a Shadow card, as a Shadow card is dealt to attackers only (same reason you wouldn't deal a Shadow card to the victim of a Quick Strike).

#6 ricedwlit

ricedwlit

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:47 AM

Engaged enemies always get shadow cards, whether they can attack or not.  From the rules (p. 18): 

"At the beginning of the combat phase, the players deal 1 shadow card to each engaged enemy. Deal the top card of the encounter deck, face down, to each engaged enemy."

This is stated before the section "Resolving enemy attacks" and the four steps involved in an enemy attack.

#7 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:31 AM

Merry Christmas to everybody!

Engaged enemies always get shadow cards, whether they can attack or not. From the rules (p. 18):

"At the beginning of the combat phase, the players deal 1 shadow card to each engaged enemy. Deal the top card of the encounter deck, face down, to each engaged enemy."

This is stated before the section "Resolving enemy attacks" and the four steps involved in an enemy attack.

1. Concerning "Quick Strike" though, I do not deal a Shadow card to target enemy, right? Unless of course it's the beginning of the combat phase, in which case everything resolves according to rules and of course it's a bad idea to use the event anyway.

2. When effects state "deal X damage to..." I deal the full X damage without reduction due to Defense. Correct?

#8 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

Serazu said:

Merry Christmas to everybody!

Engaged enemies always get shadow cards, whether they can attack or not. From the rules (p. 18):

1. Concerning "Quick Strike" though, I do not deal a Shadow card to target enemy, right? Unless of course it's the beginning of the combat phase, in which case everything resolves according to rules and of course it's a bad idea to use the event anyway.

2. When effects state "deal X damage to..." I deal the full X damage without reduction due to Defense. Correct?

1. Yes.

2. Yes.

#9 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

1. Are Shadow cards considered in play?

2. Concerning the 2B quest card of the the Hunt for Gollum, what happens if, while resolving the Forced effect, draw 2 Treacheries?

3. In the above case, what if I draw an Enemy / Location and a Treachery? May I opt to discard the Enemy or Location and keep the Treachery?

#10 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

One more question:

What if I defeat the attached enemy or explore the attached location on Signs of Gollum, but opt not to take the clue? Will it just stay in the staging area waiting for me to pick it up if I beat a quest, without further interaction with the game? If another Signs comes into play will it interact with the old Signs in any way?

#11 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:56 PM

1. not 100% on this, but i would say technically yes but overall no as you disregard all other text on the card apart from the shadow  underneath the line, although if it is a card like wolf rider then things change as the card itself is in play after it is drawn as a shadow card

2. and 3. i believe you can chose here, the text doesnt really state otherwise

4. yes it remains there unguarded till you quest sucessfully and pick it up, the only iteraction i can think of is that it still adds to hunters from mordor statistics buff

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#12 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 01:47 AM

1. Let’s say then that I pick a Location and a Treachery. The staging area is full of Locations and I do not want another one. I decide to choose the Treachery. I discard the Location. Am I forced to resolve the Treachery? I ‘m asking because, technically, Treacheries do not enter the staging area, which is exactly what the Quest dictates. Cannot I just initially pick the Treachery and then discard it without ever resolving its effect? I know it's like cheating and I sound like a complete ass, I 'd like to know nonetheless.

2. Successfully questing  means beating the quest resolution during the Quest phase, right?

3. Legolas's effect, for instance, does not count as successfully questing, right?

4. If I beat the quest resolution step, but put my progress tokens in an active location, this still counts as successfully questing, right?

5. Concerning my question regarding the Signs, it remains there unguarded, ok. What if another Signs enters play? I do not re-guard the original Signs, right? The "If another objective...the original keyword effect." phrase in the first paragraph under "Guarded" (Rules of Play, pg. 24) is irrelevant here, since it refers to a different instance, correct?

#13 Angus Lee

Angus Lee

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:23 AM

The text on a shadow card (including the card title and keywords) are ignored (considered blank) except those under the shadow line.  So technically it is considered in play, but currently no shadow cards have effect beside its shadow effect.

Serazu said:

1. Let’s say then that I pick a Location and a Treachery. The staging area is full of Locations and I do not want another one. I decide to choose the Treachery. I discard the Location. Am I forced to resolve the Treachery? I ‘m asking because, technically, Treacheries do not enter the staging area, which is exactly what the Quest dictates. Cannot I just initially pick the Treachery and then discard it without ever resolving its effect? I know it's like cheating and I sound like a complete ass, I 'd like to know nonetheless. 

If you select a treachery card, it is revealed so it has to be resolved and then enters the encounter discard pile.

Serazu said:

2. Successfully questing  means beating the quest resolution during the Quest phase, right?

3. Legolas's effect, for instance, does not count as successfully questing, right?

4. If I beat the quest resolution step, but put my progress tokens in an active location, this still counts as successfully questing, right?

Page 14 of the rulebook says, "If the [Will Power] is higher, the players ave successfully quest, ..."  So if and only if the Will Power is higher than the Threat, it is considered successfully quested. Legolas's effect does not count as successfully quested, and to where the progress tokens are put has no relation with the status of successfully quested or not.

Serazu said:

5. Concerning my question regarding the Signs, it remains there unguarded, ok. What if another Signs enters play? I do not re-guard the original Signs, right? The "If another objective...the original keyword effect." phrase in the first paragraph under "Guarded" (Rules of Play, pg. 24) is irrelevant here, since it refers to a different instance, correct?

Yes, it says, "If another objective card comes up WHILE attaching a card for the guarded keyword,...", so it is another situation entirely.

Once ... Always ...

My blog (in Simplified Chinese): http://blog.sina.com/b0ardgames

#14 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:55 AM

1. Concerning the "Surge" keyword, the rules state that it applies at the staging step of the Quest phase; this effectively means that if I put to the staging area a card with that keyword, following the instructions on the first two quests of Hunt for Gollum, "Surge" does not apply, since this happens outside the staging step. Correct?

2. Cards with the "Victory X" keyword that I defeat are set aside for score calculation and are not re-shuffled if the Encounter deck runs out of cards. Correct?

3. If I explore a Location with the aforementioned keyword with the Northern Tracker's ability, I still get the card. Right?

4. Is there a specific moment during the Quest phase that the encounter deck, if depleted, is re-shuffled and put back to the game or does it happen at any moment, as long as it's the Quest phase? The rules make no mention to a specific moment, so I guess it happens at the exact instance the deck runs out of cards during the Quest phase. If it was depleted before, then, the moment the Quest phase begins, the discard pile is re-shuffled into a new deck. Right?

5. There is neither a draw cap nor a cap as to how many cards I may have in hand. Right?

#15 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 02:04 AM

Serazu said:

1. Concerning the "Surge" keyword, the rules state that it applies at the staging step of the Quest phase; this effectively means that if I put to the staging area a card with that keyword, following the instructions on the first two quests of Hunt for Gollum, "Surge" does not apply, since this happens outside the staging step. Correct?

2. Cards with the "Victory X" keyword that I defeat are set aside for score calculation and are not re-shuffled if the Encounter deck runs out of cards. Correct?

3. If I explore a Location with the aforementioned keyword with the Northern Tracker's ability, I still get the card. Right?

4. Is there a specific moment during the Quest phase that the encounter deck, if depleted, is re-shuffled and put back to the game or does it happen at any moment, as long as it's the Quest phase? The rules make no mention to a specific moment, so I guess it happens at the exact instance the deck runs out of cards during the Quest phase. If it was depleted before, then, the moment the Quest phase begins, the discard pile is re-shuffled into a new deck. Right?

5. There is neither a draw cap nor a cap as to how many cards I may have in hand. Right?

1. new faq states it should be played at ALL times, including set up- same goes for doomed x

2.yes, otherwise emyn muil would be nigh on impossible (all locations are victory x and you collect them)

3.yes

4.as soon as it runs out in the quest phase, i dont see anything to state otherwise

5.there is no limit, but once it is depleted it is gone for good

#16 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

In my last The Hunt for Gollum playthrough I drew a Signs of Gollum. I drew again to satisfy the "Guarded" keyword. I drew another Signs. Following the rules, I temporarily set it aside so as to draw again to put a card on the original Signs and then to draw once more to put a card on the second Signs. The card I drew was a Treachery with the "Surge" keyword. I resolved it, discarded it (and thus dealt with the original Signs) and drew again as the "Surge" dictates. The Location I drew, I put it on the second Signs to satisfy its "Guarded" keyword. Did I do the right thing or that Location entered play exclusively to satisfy the "Surge" of the card I previously drew and I should have just put it on the staging area and draw once more to satisfy  the second Sign's "Guarded" keyword? To put it short, did I draw a card less?

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:52 AM

so basically you used the surged card to guard? if this is the case then i would say you drew one card too short...if you tallied the cards you needed to draw at that time, you would end up with the amount that you did, plus 1 more that you didnt which satisfys the surge keyword

if the actual case is that you DO use the surged card then i would find this a strange rule as it effectivly makes the surge effect useless in that scenario

#18 Titan

Titan

• Members
  • 558 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:12 AM

Serazu said:

In my last The Hunt for Gollum playthrough I drew a Signs of Gollum. I drew again to satisfy the "Guarded" keyword. I drew another Signs. Following the rules, I temporarily set it aside so as to draw again to put a card on the original Signs and then to draw once more to put a card on the second Signs. The card I drew was a Treachery with the "Surge" keyword. I resolved it, discarded it (and thus dealt with the original Signs) and drew again as the "Surge" dictates. The Location I drew, I put it on the second Signs to satisfy its "Guarded" keyword. Did I do the right thing or that Location entered play exclusively to satisfy the "Surge" of the card I previously drew and I should have just put it on the staging area and draw once more to satisfy  the second Sign's "Guarded" keyword? To put it short, did I draw a card less?

I think you did draw one card short. The last card you drew was there exclusively to satisfy the surge effect. You needed one more to satisfy the guarded effect on the objective. Generally, one action cannot be used to satisfy two separate effects.

#19 Serazu

Serazu

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

Thank you for your answers. One more question:

Is there a negative modifier on threat or does the minimum possible is zero? Logic dicates that it cannot be less than zero (what's the meaning of being minus concerning threat after all, go to Sauron's door and yell "here I am"?). I know that counting score can lead to negative numbers, but I 've always presumed minimum threat to be no less than zero.

By the way, Hunt for Gollum is exceptionally easy with a Spirit / Lore deck. Nice playthrough but absolutely no challenge.

#20 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:52 AM

no i wouldnt think it can go into minus, theres nowhere in the rules or on the threat tracker to show this, also as the cards stand there is nothing that can bring it to zero

even with three 7 cost heros (21) and using galadhrims greeting 3 times in a row for the first 3 rounds that would still make (24-18) 6 threat.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS