Adventure/Monster Interaction

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 HomerJ

HomerJ

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

Question 1:  If there's no open Monster Task on the currently in-play adventures, is there anything preventing the players from putting all the monsters on a single adventure card as the game progresses? 

Btw, we used to call this "The Zoo", and have decided to prevent it from happening by creating a House Rule, that basically says, if a monster needs to be added to the game, you cannot add one to an adventure that already has a monster, if there is an adventure without a monster.  So, if a monster appears, we follow these rules:

1. Add the monster to an open Monster Task.  If unable,
  2. Add the monster to an Adventure with no monsters.  If unable,
  3. Add the monster to an Adventure with the fewest number (or tied for the fewest number) of Monsters currently on it.

Question 2:  Do the Monsters on an Adventure with an Order Arrow have to be completed in the order they were added to the Adventure (below the card) or are they available to be attacked outside of the Order Arrow sequence of the adventure?

#2 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

HomerJ said:

Question 1:  If there's no open Monster Task on the currently in-play adventures, is there anything preventing the players from putting all the monsters on a single adventure card as the game progresses? 

Btw, we used to call this "The Zoo", and have decided to prevent it from happening by creating a House Rule, that basically says, if a monster needs to be added to the game, you cannot add one to an adventure that already has a monster, if there is an adventure without a monster.  So, if a monster appears, we follow these rules:

1. Add the monster to an open Monster Task.  If unable,
  2. Add the monster to an Adventure with no monsters.  If unable,
  3. Add the monster to an Adventure with the fewest number (or tied for the fewest number) of Monsters currently on it.

Question 2:  Do the Monsters on an Adventure with an Order Arrow have to be completed in the order they were added to the Adventure (below the card) or are they available to be attacked outside of the Order Arrow sequence of the adventure?

1) The rules as written do allow a "zoo" but a lot of people (once aware of the problem) play a house rule similar to yours. I think the designers didn't foresee this during playtesting so therefore didn't write any rules against it but chances are it might make it into the forthcoming FAQ.

2) I'm sure I've seen contradicting replies from the designers regarding this. One reply said the monster becomes the last task while another stated that such monsters tasks can be attempted out of sequence.
Personally, I prefer to allow such "added" monster tasks to be completed outside the normal arrow sequence. If, and how, it gets addressed in the FAQ is just guesswork at the moment so play by whatever house rule you prefer.

#3 HomerJ

HomerJ

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

I have to agree in regard to your comment regarding monsters and how they interact with an arrow.  From a strictly thematic sense, the tasks in a room might be sequential (say finding a way to unlock a box, deciphering the scroll found inside, and then finding a secret described in the scroll) but the monsters are just wandering the room and so could likely be engaged as you feel necessary.  The exception is, of course, any monster tasks that fall within the arrow-sequence (again, likely there for theme).

#4 HomerJ

HomerJ

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 05:28 AM

First, I just read the FAQ and I'm happy to see that our house-rule for "Zooing an Adventure" turns out to be the way that FFG decided to fix things.  Sweet.

New question:  Below is the "Successfully Resolved Adventure" sequence from the rulebook

1. Receive the rewards listed on the bottom of the card.
2. Move all Investigator markers on the card to the Entrance reference sheet.
3. Remove all the dice from the resolved Adventure card and take the card. The player may spend the card later as a Trophy.
4. Draw a new Adventure card to replace the one just resolved.

So, if the reward includes a Monster Icon, one of the following is true:

A)  You place the Monster on the Adventure Card you just resolved, and then effectively discard it when you collect it during step 3.

B)  You do add it to the Adventure you're 'resolving' and effectively "un-succeeds" the Adventure?

C)  The Monster stays under the place holder for the new Adventure card, and then become attached to the new card?

D)  You can't add a Monster to an Adventure you are currently resolving.

"D" seems the most likely, but wanted to make sure.

#5 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

HomerJ said:

First, I just read the FAQ and I'm happy to see that our house-rule for "Zooing an Adventure" turns out to be the way that FFG decided to fix things.  Sweet.

New question:  Below is the "Successfully Resolved Adventure" sequence from the rulebook

1. Receive the rewards listed on the bottom of the card.
3. Remove all the dice from the resolved Adventure card and take the card. The player may spend the card later as a Trophy.

So, if the reward includes a Monster Icon, one of the following is true:

A)  You place the Monster on the Adventure Card you just resolved, and then effectively discard it when you collect it during step 3.

B)  You do add it to the Adventure you're 'resolving' and effectively "un-succeeds" the Adventure?

C)  The Monster stays under the place holder for the new Adventure card, and then become attached to the new card?

D)  You can't add a Monster to an Adventure you are currently resolving.

"D" seems the most likely, but wanted to make sure.

I didn't think the answer was anything else but "D" to begin with but I can see where you are coming from.

I beleive the FAQ now clears this up as it states that monsters (when they appear due to a Penalty or Reward) are placed after the new Adventure card is placed.

From the FAQ
Can monsters that are part of a ‘reward’ be placed on the new adventure entering play?
Yes. When placing monsters, first replace any missing Adventure cards, then place the monsters.

So now the rules are that monsters are not placed during Step 1 of the "Successfully Resolved Adventure" sequence but after Step 4.

#6 HomerJ

HomerJ

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:57 AM

So what you're saying is, if I had actually READ the FAQ instead of just printing it and then post on the boards, I would have answered my own question.

*sigh*

Thank you for helping me find my brain.

In addition, I would assume if a a Doom token is earned as a reward, and placing it creates a Monster, that too should happen at the end of the sequence.  So going forward:

1. Receive the rewards listed on the bottom of the card, but do not place Monster or Doom Tokens

5. Place all Doom Tokens

5. Place all earned Monster tokens

#7 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:05 AM

HomerJ said:

So what you're saying is, if I had actually READ the FAQ instead of just printing it and then post on the boards, I would have answered my own question.

*sigh*

Thank you for helping me find my brain.

I say nothing....

HomerJ said:

In addition, I would assume if a a Doom token is earned as a reward, and placing it creates a Monster, that too should happen at the end of the sequence.  So going forward:

1. Receive the rewards listed on the bottom of the card, but do not place Monster or Doom Tokens

5. Place all Doom Tokens

5. Place all earned Monster tokens

This is a very good point indeed. I think that the FAQ may have created an ambiguity that I hadn't noticed before you raised this issue. Mind, it might only applies if you follow your method.

What if the Adventure card you draw during Step 4 is "We Need to Find Help" (this card locks the Red dice). What if the Doom token you added in Step 5 awakens the GOO! It would mean that we go into the Final Battle with the Red dice locked!
The same applies to other Adventure cards such as "Gala in the Great Hall" and "Did You Hear That".

I would just stick with adding monsters in Step 5.

1. Receive the rewards listed on the bottom of the card, but do not place Monsters.
5. Place all earned Monster tokens (including those generated from Doom tokens).

If any Doom tokens placed in Step 1 result in new monsters appearing, just delay placing the monsters until Step 5.

For some reason, I still have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind that this still may create some other ambiguity due to the monster markers being delayed to Step 5.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS