Saw on Dice Tower...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:56 PM

When I found out about this game being solitaire playable, I got very excited. I have also played and beat the first two games and enjoyed those. However, a big turn off was I watched a Dice Tower review and Tom Vasel did not enjoy it because damaging yourself with your own cards and the monsters are exceedingly tough. Can anyone give me a better review or should I just overlook this game?

#2 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:27 PM

I (and others in the BGG video comments for the Dice Tower review) found it odd that Tom enjoyed cards as life in Middle-Earth Quest, but not in GoW. In MEQ it takes generally two or three bad turns in a row to kill off a hero, making them seem almost invincible, they just need to get to a Haven once and rest and poof, they're back to full health. In GoW, you're much more at risk, one good attack can drop you, so you best be on your guard (hint, hint ). You also don't recuperate as fast, so any heavy hits to health take their time to get over. Enemies aren't really all that tough I've found, most go down in one or two shots, Berserker being naturally a tough *****, but killable no less.

I don't put too much emphasis on what a reviewer says, especially if you've already played and enjoyed the game. At the end of the day that's what matters, not what someone else says about the game. Tom also didn't like Revolver, a game I was very eager to get my hands on and have been playing once per day ever since I got it and having a blast every time.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#3 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

Usually Tom and I agree on the boardgames though omitting horror factor, but he also enjoys the DnD boardgames they've been coming out from Wizards of the Coast. That is how I happened to bump into FFG was when I was buying the Dragon one online I saw an upcoming for Mansions. I've been buying FFG ever since and I can't stand my Ravenloft and Ashardalon games, primarily because everything feels so arcade, it doesn't feel like Descent or Mansions. Been getting more play and fun from boardgames than my video games.

When I saw this game, it appeared to have the solitaire play I've been looking for a miniatures "dungeon delve" but once I saw the review, I'm precarious, especially about the card system. We'll see what I think after I play Arkham Horror for a while and if I still need anything after that.

#4 Steve-O

Steve-O

• Members
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:43 AM

The important thing to keep in mind about Gears is that it's a co-op game.  Co-op games need to be difficult to beat, otherwise they quickly lose their appeal.  In a combat-oriented game like this, "difficult to beat" generally means "easy to get killed."  Trust me, though, if FFG's track record for games like this is any indication, you'll have more fun losing at Gears than you'd probably have winning at something like RISK.

#5 redsimon

redsimon

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

@ Tromdial: In this case you should ignore what Tom Vasel said (his review made me quite angry). Some things he criticises about Gears of War are stregths rather than weaknesses. You will see that the system with the cards as health is really well done.

#6 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:01 AM

redsimon said:

@ Tromdial: In this case you should ignore what Tom Vasel said (his review made me quite angry). Some things he criticises about Gears of War are stregths rather than weaknesses. You will see that the system with the cards as health is really well done.

Thanks. I bought the game on amazon and I will see for myself when it comes in the beginning of next month. I figure if the game truly is too hard, a simple solution could be to house rule card amount or draw to be +1. I watched someone on youtube did a whole session with Dominic and Cole-Train do the China Shop mission and 30% of the time someone was crawling on the ground. I know that's exactly what can happen in the game of Gears but for a board game, I wonder how it can be more balanced so you're not always crawling like that, if possible, because I know some people in my group would not like that. Primarily though, I just wanted a fun solo play game and I know this will deliver that much.

#7 the-hypnotoad

the-hypnotoad

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Glad you went ahead and bought it. I saw the Dice Tower review as well as other reviews (that ranged from generally positive to enthusiastic). I figured I liked Gears enough and co-op board games enough that I'd probably enjoy it. I'm "getting" it for xmas although I cracked it open a few days early and just played it 3 times a couple of nights ago.

I can't say that I see any of the flaws the DT review discusses. Maybe it just wasn't his thing? I mean, that's cool -- not ever game is for every person, even someone that loves boardgames. You should know what you are getting into though. It's much more of a tactical combat game than the D&D co-op games which are more focused on exploring rooms one at a time and gathering loot until the final boss appears.

All the components are terrific - especially the minis which I cannot wait to start painting. Once we played the Emergence Day scenario twice we tackled the second mission where you are running from the berserker. It was a brutal and nail-biting experience and the whole thing came down to one final attack roll before the last Gear was downed. When we killed the berserker it was a genuinely cathartic experience - we had just spent the last 2.5 hrs running in terror from it while trying to cut our way through the other locust blocking our way to the courtyard where the hammer of dawn was waiting. The gears of war theme is so strong and well-related to the mechanics of the game--I was really impressed.

The game was thoroughly enjoyed by all three players - me (avid board game and video game player), one friend that is a board/rpg game guy but not video gamer, and a third friend that doesn't play any of those games at all. I have played Ravenloft and WoA, and I'm really pleased I went ahead with buying Gears rather than one of those. Two tiny things to keep in mind: first, because the theme is so strong, you may well feel drained like you have just been desperately fighting for your life for the last couple of hours. Secondly, it's not as short as some other co-op games. Minimum is 2-2.5 hrs (depending on your familiarity with the game and the scenario you choose) as opposed to 60-90 mins for the D&D co-op games.

#8 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, I felt Ashardalon and Ravenloft's tiles were too generic and the feel was too arcade. When I saw Gears, it seemed a lot more in-depth and tactical. I am also a Gears fan but I never got a 360; it'd be great if they made some expansions expressing the other two but I am satisfied to own this one that comes in next month. I also love Space Hulk: Death Angel, and I figured this would be as close as playing the figurine version as I will get.

#9 mark3275

mark3275

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:37 AM

The game is good to play.  However, it is difficult to win with more players.  I am still trying to find a balance to even things up a bit more.  I have found that by giving each gears character 2 defense dice to roll instead of one makes the game more balanced.  having said that you still have to roll the dice and anything can happen.

#10 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

mark3275 said:

The game is good to play.  However, it is difficult to win with more players.  I am still trying to find a balance to even things up a bit more.  I have found that by giving each gears character 2 defense dice to roll instead of one makes the game more balanced.  having said that you still have to roll the dice and anything can happen.

When playing a non-solo game, give counters to the Exploration cards that say "discard to" give ammo, grenades, etc., for how many players are in game. I have found this to be the missing balance between solo and multiplayer.

• willmanx likes this

#11 willmanx

willmanx

• Members
  • 771 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:34 AM

When playing a non-solo game, give counters to the Exploration cards that say "discard to" give ammo, grenades, etc., for how many players are in game. I have found this to be the missing balance between solo and multiplayer.

I'll try that !

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS