Broken Play?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

So I mostly have played Elder Sign as a solo game, and I have noticed the game is almost impossible to lose if you play certain characters. The following are:

Kate Winthrop: no creatures show up and no terror effects resolve.

Carolyn Fern if she encounters and chooses to constantly lose against the Administration Office card (i.e. free tertiary-placement monster trophies and clue tokens).

Sister Mary: no lingering effects; no dice lock.

Comments? I've read some people are greatly upset by this. To me, Elder Sign seems vastly different from Arkham Horror. Whether one wants to say this was not very well play tested or not, to me it seems the game can be as easy or as hard as you wish to make it for yourself.

#2 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:16 PM

Haven't really played with Sister Mary, but I'm with you on Kate.  (I rule that her ability is inactive during the Mythos phase.)  What do you mean by "free tertiary-placement monster trophies"?

#3 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,260 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:38 PM

Walk said:

I rule that her ability is inactive during the Mythos phase.

I think that's the word from Arkham Nights as well, but goes explicitly against what the rulebook tells us, that the Mythos phase is part of your turn. ES needs a FAQ out sooner rather than later.

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#4 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:02 AM

Walk said:

Haven't really played with Sister Mary, but I'm with you on Kate.  (I rule that her ability is inactive during the Mythos phase.)  What do you mean by "free tertiary-placement monster trophies"?

When you put Carolyn Fern on the Admin Office, you always heal your one sanity at the end and gain the free clue token by failing. Rinse and repeat. If you get to place any monsters because no white monster placement icons exist or already filled, then putting them on the Admin Office means practically free trophies while you wait and slowly collect clues without ever accomplishing the Admin Office adventure card. When there are no white monster borders available, you get to choose which adventure card receives the monsters. I accidentally discovered this whole flawed mechanic when I was sorta trapped between cards and bad dice rolls, then continued to get my clue tokens up. Yet with more bad dice rolls, I decided to just go against the Ancient One Ithaqua and realized I was pretty much god-like, and won as I proceeded every four turns (solo play) to toss one clue away for my four attacks against him. And I had a LOT of clue tokens...

#5 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

Ah.  Well, chalk up one more broken combination....

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS