A Welcome Old Friend

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 David Spangler

David Spangler

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

I wondered if FFG would get around to reissuing this classic.  I still have the original, much battered by years of playing and enjoyment.  I look forward to seeing what changes Kevin has made and how their implemented (beyond the little bit of information given in the product description on its website).

#2 Christian Lindke

Christian Lindke

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:19 AM

Wow!  Add this to the long list of must buy games that FFG has in their queue.

Great work guys!  I cannot wait to see your update to this classic game.

#3 Tromdial

Tromdial

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:33 AM

Never heard of this game til now, but I am sold on how awesome it must be. Lately I have been buying games though for their solitaire play (Arkham Horror, Space Hulk: Death Angel, Rune Age, and Elder Sign) and I wonder if that will be implementable here.

#4 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

Tromdial, that's possible, but not likely without big reworking. Fortress America was an all against one kind of game.

This is just the coolest news.

#5 Adam

Adam

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

Always wanted to play this.  Very cool concept and theme.

#6 JerusalemJones

JerusalemJones

• Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:20 PM

I have regretted giving away my copy of the original FA to my college game club back in the mid 90's, specifically since they turned around and sold the thing on eBay two years later to buy frakking video games! But to see it come back, with the FFG treatment, is something I'm excited about. Sadly, when I shared this news with a group of our store's regulars, they were all "what game?" ARRGH!

Now if we can just get the Avalon Hill Civilzation game and Circus Imperium back again, I'll be in geek heaven.

#7 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:41 PM

The sculpts and cards look sweet. The map isn't as colorful as it could have been, but not a big deal. I still remember my buddy humming Flight of the Valkyrie with the helicopters during setup.

Having "classic" gameplay and having new options are sweet. Just like Nexus Ops and Cosmic Encounter.

This could be one of my new favorites ever.

Thanks FFG- you done good.

#8 zombiemailman

zombiemailman

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:24 PM

W.O.W.

I remember playing this game from the MB series and loved it! If this version plays as well as the original, I'll be getting this asap!

#9 LynchMob

LynchMob

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

©2012? So, has it been released yet? Or sometime next year?

#10 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

I remember the original had a few expansions, too. I wonder if they're already in the box. I don't remember how many figures were in the first box, but I really don't think it was in the hundreds.

I'm glad they contacted the original designer and that Kevin Wilson is working it. The dude is awesome. His Arkham reworking is a modern classic.

Makes me think if they can get 300+ figures in a $80 box, maybe a new BattleLore someday?

#11 sepayne7l

sepayne7l

• Members
  • 568 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

These kind of announcements, along with Merchants of Venus and Nexus Ops make me wonder what else they may be working on.

Like maybe Dark Tower?

#12 Artemus Maximus

Artemus Maximus

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

assuming FFG doesn't complicate the rules too much compared to the original, would this be a seige-type game more accessible to casual gamers than Horus Heresy or Stronghold? i.e. 'lighter'

#13 Cralius the Dark

Cralius the Dark

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

zombiemailman said:

W.O.W.

I remember playing this game from the MB series and loved it! If this version plays as well as the original, I'll be getting this asap!

Picked up the MB version of this at a yard sale for a few bucks a couple of summers ago.  Looking forward to the FFG treatment.

#14 redsimon

redsimon

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:28 AM

Artemus Maximus said:

assuming FFG doesn't complicate the rules too much compared to the original, would this be a seige-type game more accessible to casual gamers than Horus Heresy or Stronghold? i.e. 'lighter'

I don't know Stronghold, but yes, FA definitely is lighter than Horus Heresy.

#15 Madboyo

Madboyo

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Now if only  can get a copy sent to New Zealand without selling my Gran!

#16 Sarge77

Sarge77

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

For sure! Must have this!!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS