How different?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Zozimus

Zozimus

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:29 AM

Arkham doesn't get the play I would like on my table, mostly because of the length and complexity.  This looks like a good solution, but I'm kind of disappointed that the characters are a re-hash of AH.  How different is it really?  Is it worth having both? 

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus

#2 xris

xris

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Zozimus said:

Arkham doesn't get the play I would like on my table, mostly because of the length and complexity.  This looks like a good solution, but I'm kind of disappointed that the characters are a re-hash of AH.  How different is it really?  Is it worth having both? 

Well, the theme is the same, down to the same characters, the same monsters, the GOO, in fact they use the same artwork (so that is a real re-hash of AH).

But the two game mechanisms are totally different. ES is a light dice game wrapped in tons of chrome, in fact the core mechanism is directly stolen from Risk Express and I do mean directly stolen!

If you are expecting Elder Sign to have anywhere near the depth of Arkham Horror, then you will be disappointed. It is just a mini dice fest after all. While it is a co-operative game, there is little or no real co-operation between players beyond the "what Adventure should I attempt next". There are no great strategy or tactical opportunities that present themselves in the game, it just comes down to rolling the dice and cheering if you succeed and groaning if you fail. Some people won't find this very interesting or entertaining but some can forgive its weaknesses thanks to the surrounding chrome the game offers.

If this type of game suits you and your gaming group then I would say that it's worth having both, for me they are very different. I would say read the online rules and watch some of the videos of the game being played (I'm sure there are some around). The rules are a mess in many ways as they are unclear in so many areas (and just plain wrong in others) but read this forum along with the BGG forum and nearly all the questions will be answered.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS