Jump to content



Photo

Just picked this up


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Zozimus

Zozimus

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

....and I am SO stoked to play this game!  It wasn't on my radar at all (I generally prefer fantasy to sci-fi, though I've read a lot of both).  I got it on the Xmas sale, and I am really glad I did.  What a beautiful game:  so nuanced, so gorgeous to look at.  I was surprised, frankly, at some of the controversy over the game that I saw on BGG.  I really don't understand why people aren't blown away by Android.  The one thing I might desire is actually a little MORE sci-fi (the world seems rich; why not add more nifty sci-fi ideas beyond just the "we have androids and a space elevator" notions?) .  But what's there is awesome.  I love the 'noir' feel, and the rules seem really elegant and character-driven.  Though some have complained that the evidence against suspects makes it feel kind of like you're framing them instead of investigating them, Kevin made it pretty clear in one of the video interviews that this was intentional.  It's meant to be ambiguous; it leaves you with room to tell the story the way you see your character going.  Whether your character has a happy ending or not; whether he falls prey to his Dark Cards or stays heroic, the end of the mystery still makes sense.  You COULD be framing him!  Or, you might use old-fashioned police work to figure it out legitimately.  The flexibility that this allows you as a player-cum-storyteller is really amazing.  What I like most about playing a board game , including Talisman, my old standby, is the stories that come out of the gameplay.  This seems built for my style of gaming.  Can't wait. 


Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus


#2 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 07:15 AM

Zozimus said:

....and I am SO stoked to play this game!  It wasn't on my radar at all (I generally prefer fantasy to sci-fi, though I've read a lot of both).  I got it on the Xmas sale, and I am really glad I did.  What a beautiful game:  so nuanced, so gorgeous to look at.  I was surprised, frankly, at some of the controversy over the game that I saw on BGG.  I really don't understand why people aren't blown away by Android.  The one thing I might desire is actually a little MORE sci-fi (the world seems rich; why not add more nifty sci-fi ideas beyond just the "we have androids and a space elevator" notions?) .  But what's there is awesome.  I love the 'noir' feel, and the rules seem really elegant and character-driven.  Though some have complained that the evidence against suspects makes it feel kind of like you're framing them instead of investigating them, Kevin made it pretty clear in one of the video interviews that this was intentional.  It's meant to be ambiguous; it leaves you with room to tell the story the way you see your character going.  Whether your character has a happy ending or not; whether he falls prey to his Dark Cards or stays heroic, the end of the mystery still makes sense.  You COULD be framing him!  Or, you might use old-fashioned police work to figure it out legitimately.  The flexibility that this allows you as a player-cum-storyteller is really amazing.  What I like most about playing a board game , including Talisman, my old standby, is the stories that come out of the gameplay.  This seems built for my style of gaming.  Can't wait. 


Awesome! Glad you're excited to play the game!

As far as the sci-fi aspects, I have a feeling the Android-based fiction from FFG will draw the sci-fi parts out more. Free Fall did a nice job with this, and I'm guessing the Identity Trilogy will as well. 
 



#3 Oliphant

Oliphant

    Member

  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:37 AM

 I also just picked up an Amazon copy of this game. Can't wait to try it. Seems like a long involved "bladerunner" RPG version of clue... I hope it plays as good as it looks.



#4 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 02:19 PM

Oliphant said:

I also just picked up an Amazon copy of this game. Can't wait to try it. Seems like a long involved "bladerunner" RPG version of clue... I hope it plays as good as it looks.

Well, just to warn you — it's not like Clue at all. One aspect of the game that some players don't like is how Android does not have a simple deduction aspect, like Clue. I'm a fan of how Android does it, though. Hope you like it!



#5 Zozimus

Zozimus

    Member

  • Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 04:13 PM

Glad to report that our first game was a good one:  it doesn't really take all that long to get the hang of the rules, though I think we'll have to play multiple times before we really understand how to fit a good strategy into the timespan a game takes to play.  It strikes me that everyone has to have pretty much equal investment in their character, as well as understanding of the complex interrelationships between characters, if you want to have a decent game experience.  One criticism I do have is the number of rules that you just have to keep track of, rather than having some reminder or symbol that keeps it in the foreground of your mind:  for example, the fact that you have to remember that you can affect the cost of a twilight card that happens to have the same colour as your plot card is a little arcane to my mind.  That's just too much to remember, and the card colour isn't a good enough reminder...particularly if your attention is where it should be, which is on the story element.  Otherwise, I'd say the rules are simple enough.  

I might also suggest a further VP house rule that has a "real" murderer drawn from the list of suspects at the beginning of the game.  I love that you can view your character as either honestly uncovering real evidence against a suspect (if your character is on a "light" path), or else actively framing the suspect (if on a "dark" path).  But it might be interesting if there was some reference to objective truth as well:  say you draw a suspect card at the beginning of the game and put it aside as the "real" murderer.  You could get some new reward of VPs if your hunch matches A) the convicted killer, as in the base game, but then also if it matches B) the actual perp.  And if your hunch matches the convicted killer, but not the real murderer, then you could be said to have been framing the suspect, which should affect your final moral state, so to speak.  I haven't thought this through, obviously, but it might be interesting to think about.  


Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play. - Heraclitus


#6 Flint Lockwood

Flint Lockwood

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:04 AM

 Gosh, I have been so on the fence for like a year and half on whether or not I want to get this game. It seems to be so polarizing that I'm scared my group won't like it and I'll have a 60 dollar pile of cardboard.



#7 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

Flint Lockwood said:

Gosh, I have been so on the fence for like a year and half on whether or not I want to get this game. It seems to be so polarizing that I'm scared my group won't like it and I'll have a 60 dollar pile of cardboard.

Well, there are lots of ways to buy it or trade it for much less than MSRP. It's a risk you take with any game, though. Maybe try to play it at a game gathering or con?



#8 Flint Lockwood

Flint Lockwood

    Member

  • Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:14 AM

 So after I posted this I found it was heavily discounted on Amazon, and will be getting it in the mail in a couple days.

 



#9 Tromdial

Tromdial

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Same here. I'm already wishing there was a PoD or box expansion available for the game. I am reading the manual and seeing the potential with districts or Mars murder-plots; heck, new characters with their dark cards set on Mars map. I will let this thread know how I feel about the game when I play it but I am witness that the production of this game had so much thought put into it. Too bad so many people dissed it because I like the setting, art, and concept.



#10 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 02:39 AM

Tromdial said:

Same here. I'm already wishing there was a PoD or box expansion available for the game. I am reading the manual and seeing the potential with districts or Mars murder-plots; heck, new characters with their dark cards set on Mars map. I will let this thread know how I feel about the game when I play it but I am witness that the production of this game had so much thought put into it. Too bad so many people dissed it because I like the setting, art, and concept.

Right on — it'd be nice to see something Martian in the game. They mention the planet and the war there quite a bit in the novel(s) too, but don't really spell too much out. I'm still hoping for a POD eventually, of any kind, for this game.



#11 Tromdial

Tromdial

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 04:59 AM

jasonpanella said:

 

Right on — it'd be nice to see something Martian in the game. They mention the planet and the war there quite a bit in the novel(s) too, but don't really spell too much out. I'm still hoping for a POD eventually, of any kind, for this game.

I know it's kind of wishful for me to think this, but I'd like Android to have what Arkham Horror has (both Wilson's games): six district decks that trigger (beanstalk included) at the end of each day for each respected character, having on the backside a separate bullet description for each shape (circle, diamond, triangle) just like the location decks in Arkham. Call it unoriginal, idc, it's my favorite part of Arkham. This easily could be PoD's separate thing because those decks don't exist, so texture won't really matter of the cards.



#12 Tromdial

Tromdial

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

Plus a lot of FFG products use an "Event" deck anyways, or "Threat" tokens. District/Location decks is just the same deal.



#13 subochre

subochre

    Member

  • Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 04:03 AM

I share your enthusiasm for such things, but on top of Android's existing event cards, and the many location-triggered twilight cards, a set of location- but not character-specific event decks seems like it would start to get pretty redundant.



#14 Tromdial

Tromdial

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 05:19 AM

subochre said:

I share your enthusiasm for such things, but on top of Android's existing event cards, and the many location-triggered twilight cards, a set of location- but not character-specific event decks seems like it would start to get pretty redundant.

Oh, so it does have triggered location themes? I read the manual a few days ago and didn't see anything like that; the game will be in my hands this week, I am eager to play it. Sounded like that was something the game was missing because the instructions only mentioned districts as a tool for finding places easier on the map to put tokens on.



#15 jasonpanella

jasonpanella

    Member

  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Tromdial said:

 Oh, so it does have triggered location themes? I read the manual a few days ago and didn't see anything like that; the game will be in my hands this week, I am eager to play it. Sounded like that was something the game was missing because the instructions only mentioned districts as a tool for finding places easier on the map to put tokens on.

 

 

Themes, no, but many of the characters' dark cards are triggered by locations (be it specific or general). Ray, for instance, has a number of cards that are triggered by specific locations (Challenger Ferry, and so on). Other characters have cards that are set off by entering seedy or ritzy locations. 






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS