Asteroids?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:35 AM

Just wanted to poll the audience a bit. I was talking with my bro about where FFG could go with this game, and I thought, "Wouldn't that be epic if you had to duke it out in an asteroid field with moving asteroid pieces?" I think that would add a whole new level of challenge (especially if they can get their collision rules figured out).

What do you think? Does an asteroid expansion sound remotely exciting? Do you think an asteroid mechanic could work in this game?

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#2 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:52 AM

I think it could work beautifully, even if the asteroids didn't move, but were static obstacles. You'd really have to judge your movements accurately (because I would rule that it's cheating to measure a turn before you choose to execute it). One thing I would add is that you couldn't shoot through asteroids, even though you can shoot through enemies and friendlies. As we've discussed in other threads, the ability to shoot through other ships is a good approximation of 3D space on a 2D table. But because asteroids tend to encompass all around, making them block line of sight is a neat abstract way of approximating their predominance in the asteroid field. So even though you only see 5 asteroids, the game mechanics are emulating the fact that there are many more.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#3 Gobbo

Gobbo

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

I have a ton of Asteroids made out of "Lava rock" for other SF starship games.  They would be great terrain...

like these: 

#4 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

Wow, those asteroids look great!

#5 cleardave

cleardave

• Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

Asteroids do not concern me, Parakitor.  I want that game, not excuses.

• Mikael Hasselstein, Soulfly626 and stuffedskullcat like this

#6 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

cleardave said:

Asteroids do not concern me, Parakitor.  I want that game, not excuses.

#7 ironman

ironman

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:22 AM

i like it budgernaut has some very nice ideas.

suppose asteroids is the 1 terrain peice i can get on with without worrying about scale

#8 Cierniu

Cierniu

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:42 PM

Very good idea. I think some kind of test to avoid colision will be nice. Shooting  through asteroid field can give some defense dice to target

#9 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 968 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:28 AM

Yay! There will be asteroids in the tournament! See the first bullet point. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

#10 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:52 AM

Parakitor said:

Yay! There will be asteroids in the tournament! See the first bullet point. I'm excited to see how this turns out!

Yes. This. 

I'm interested to see the rules. I imagine something like a cardboard terrain piece with random movement using one of the "slower" starship movement arcs. Collision a la Crimson Skies, maybe.

#11 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

I'm excited to see how they work this. I'm glad to see the asteroids, I just didn't expect them so soon.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#12 kuffdaddy

kuffdaddy

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:41 AM

after playing other starship games asteroids have always been fun,  but to keep it simple for this game roll a d8 for each asteroid and move it in a straight line the # of inches in the direction of the raised point of the die

#13 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 04:45 AM

kuffdaddy said:

roll a d8 for each asteroid and move it in a straight line the # of inches in the direction of the raised point of the die

That's quite clever! 

#14 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

kuffdaddy said:

after playing other starship games asteroids have always been fun,  but to keep it simple for this game roll a d8 for each asteroid and move it in a straight line the # of inches in the direction of the raised point of the die

Random, yes. Simple, no.

#15 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:39 AM

With Asteroids officially in the game this early, the Millenium Falcon can't be far off.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#16 BahnCalamari

BahnCalamari

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:28 AM

Classic.

X-Wing

Spoiler

ANr:

Spoiler

#17 TheWanderingMiller

TheWanderingMiller

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 12:07 PM

"I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly raised from the dead. I fear something terrible has happened."

#18 Swedge

Swedge

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:06 PM

• Sekac likes this

anybody in the Sumter S.C. area???

#19 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,174 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:18 PM

One of the gaming fanmags already put out rules for moving, small, medium, large, and huge asteroids.

Enimo Et Fide

#20 Wookie Hunter

Wookie Hunter

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 05:23 PM

Thats an old thread right here.  Is there going to be asteroids.  Funny

• AdmiralThrawn likes this

X-Wing Imperials:  8 Tie Fighter's, 2 Tie Advanced, 4 Tie Interceptor's, 4 Royal Guard Tie Interceptor's, 2 Firespray 31's, 2 Shuttle's, 5 Tie Bomber's, 1 Tie Defender, 1 Tie Phantom

X-Wing Rebels:  7 X-Wing's, 2 Y-Wing's, 4 A-Wing's, 2 YT-1300's, 4 B-Wing's, 3 Hawk 290's, 1 Rebel Transport, 1 Corellian Corvette

Dust Tactics:  Koshka Premium Starter Set

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS