Best way to learn the game solo?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Ken on Cape

Ken on Cape

• Members
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

I got the game last year but I only now have time to get into it. I don't have anyone to play and learn with. Anyone have ideas on best way to learn? I want to make sure I am playing right.

#2 argwinkle

argwinkle

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:53 PM

Set the table up as if you were 2 players - that is, have two chairs on opposite sides, and switch places between moves. Don't worry that you know your opponents command cards and thoughts - that won't affect the game as much as you might think. You'll be busy enough thinking about the side you are just commanding.

Take a note every time you are not sure how a rule is supposed to work, but decide on something and keep playing. Afterwards, post your questions here.

If possible, also take some notes how the game went (and/or take some photos) and post a short session report. If you did something wrong, it might show up there. Also, I like to read session reports.

BTW. be sure to have the official FAQ at hand - it's short enough, and quite important.

Have fun,

Chris

#3 Grondhammar

Grondhammar

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'd definitely take argwinkle's approach and set the table up so you can easily (physically) switch sides.

As for learning the correct rules, just keep the rulebook close at hand, and give yourself time to get all the nuances. I had never played C&C-style game before, so I played my first BoW battle with half a dozen infantry on both sides, ignored engagement, stalwart counterattacks, and at least a dozen other secondary rules, and just got used to the core mechanics. Once you've got a framework to build from, you can fill in the items that really make it an exciting tactical game.

Best of luck!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS