Stats for Inquisitoral Assassins

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic

#1 Old Man Winters

Old Man Winters

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

In the next campaign I'm running for Deathwatch, I'm planning on including an Inquisitorial Assassin in the mix (not too sure of which variety yet, though probably Eversor). Considering my group leans a bit towards the 'shoot first, think later' strategy, I'm expecting a fight of some sort to break out and would like to be sure the Assassin holds up to the title.

I've been cruising through the various books but I've yet to find any stats for Asssassins. Has anyone found the rules for them in any of the books or possibly wrote up their own rules for them?

#2 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

Well, the case made by the Horus Heresy novel "Nemesis" notwithstanding, Eversor aren't really the type to fit in to any sort of group. They're really sorta just 'fired' at a problem and everyone ducks until the fighting is over, which is when they collect the assassin if it is still alive.

That said, the Kill Team being at the scene when one suddenly lands and begins slaughtering everything around it is always a fun moment in a game. In a Dark Heresy campaign I plan to eventually run for some friends, I know I certainly plan to include a moment like that (also them getting to watch a live vid-feed of Exterminatus being enacted on a planet, and other various horrors), where the acolytes are clearing through some cultist stronghold, or traitor fortress, when they suddenly see It down a long hallway from them, slaughtering its way closer through their very preoccupied enemies... but I'm getting off track here.

Nemesis is good inspiration for if you want to have a more social Eversor in your game, or any other Clade of your choice. As for how to build the Assassin, I'd suggest using the Vindicare as something of a base to work from. With the exception of how Vanus are depicted in the novel, they all seem to possess varying measures of agility, and they're all supreme examples of human beings in one way or another (often augmented even further).

I'd suggest letting an Eversor activate as many glands as they want at once, and as a free action, as the whole enterprise is second nature to them, not to mention their system has been extensively modified to withstand the high stresses it's under. I also just remembered that the Gland War soldiers found within one of the Rogue Trader books (Into the Storm?) would also be a good place to look for inspiration.

I'm also sure someone somewhere has already written them up and posted them online.

#3 HappyDaze

HappyDaze

• Members
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

A full write-up for an Eversor Assassin can be found in Ascension for Dark Heresy.

Ignore, Ignore, you must learn Ignore!

Now Ignoring: Nobody!

#4 Kain McDogal

Kain McDogal

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:58 PM

There are stats for a Vindicare Assassin named 'Nihl Zee' in The Emperor Protects adventure book on pg.92.  He has high stats, very high skills, a lot of combat talents and he should be able to handle most ranged combat on it's own, maybe better then any SM of your Kill-Team.

#5 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:42 PM

Ugh, don't use the Temple Assassin trait as written, it's broken as hell.

There is no truth in flesh, only betrayal.

There is no strenght in flesh, only weakness.
There is no constancy in flesh, only decay.
There is no certainty in flesh but death.

#6 Santiago

Santiago

Veteran

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:39 AM

Just use an unmodified dodge against everything of 50% instead of giving him those extra dodges an parries per AB.

#7 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

That's about the same way I'm handling it - due to superior training, each Temple Assassin can attempt to dodge each and every attack directed at him, effectively granting him a Force Field with a Protection Rating of 50 that never overloads.

#8 Blood Pact

Blood Pact

• Members
  • 841 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:30 AM

I suppose since you're not going to have assassins around all the time it doesn't matter too much, but I'd argue that the Eversor, Callidus, and even the Culexus would tend to have better agility than the Vindicare, Vanus, and Venenum. And of course there's be variance found within each informal grouping as well. The Eversor in particular, as they are pumped full of so many combat drugs that they probably see the world in bullet-time when they're in a fight.

#9 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 06:02 AM

Blood Pact said:

Well, the case made by the Horus Heresy novel "Nemesis" notwithstanding, Eversor aren't really the type to fit in to any sort of group. They're really sorta just 'fired' at a problem and everyone ducks until the fighting is over, which is when they collect the assassin if it is still alive.

Not to try to derail the thread to much, but I like to imagine a big squeezy bottle filled with water that follows around wargames fluff writers. If they are tempted to write something along the lines of 'lives only for war' or 'emotionless killing machine', the bottle squirts them in the face and shouts 'BAD FLUFF WRITER! NO TWINKIE!'.

The ninja story has a long and fine tradition. We have Ninja Gaiden, Tenchu, Ninja Blade, Shinobi (and Nightshade) and Shinobido, and that is just the video games.

As 40k's preminent ninja, Eversors should be at the forefront of the merchandising campaigns, but the current fluff makes them difficult to use.

Assassin's Creed 40k. You know it makes sense.

#10 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

And it would make some sense if the Eversor Temple trained "ninjas", not mind-wiped mass murderers whose veins pump more combat rugs than red cells.

Seriously, you use Eversor Assassins when using a nuke runs a risk of damaging important infrastructure. They were never meant as ninjas. They were never the subtle assassins, and always the crazed killing machines. Even the name of their temple means "Destroyer". They compete with the Culexus for the title of the most monstrously inhuman Officio operatives, and that's a big deal considering the Culexus are actual soulless aberrations.

If you want a ninja, try Callidus. Perfect camouflage, easily concealable weapons, great infiltration skills. Their preferred method of assassination is pretty much the epitome of ninjutsu - instead of dressing in a black pajama and challenging the enemy lord to a katana duel at midnight, become yet another face in the crowd and stab the target in the back when he's busy not paying attention to you. Or, try the Vindicare - silent, unseen death, more precise than any surgical tool, relentless in the pursuit of their target, undergoing one of the harshest training regimens in the history of ever.

These are the "ninjas" of the Officio. Where did you get the idea that the Eversor fit, or should fit, the same mold?

#11 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

I think to me Ninja is more an aesthetic than a modus operandi. Anyone can be an Assassin, but to be a Ninja you need to be rocking the pyjamas.

An Eversor is more of a Ninja Gaiden/Ninja Blade/Shinobi Ninja than a Shinobido Ninja, but it takes all kinds.

--

This is all just part of the playing with the cool toys thing. Eversors are cool toys. We should play with them.

#12 N0-1_H3r3

N0-1_H3r3

Former Contributing Freelance Writer

• Members
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

AluminiumWolf said:

I think to me Ninja is more an aesthetic than a modus operandi. Anyone can be an Assassin, but to be a Ninja you need to be rocking the pyjamas.

Except, of course, that Ninjas didn't do that. That's a trope brought about by Japanese theatre, because the black garb of the stagehands was accepted by the audience as being a sign to ignore someone's presence, so ninja characters within a story were clad in the same garments, so they could attack without being acknowledged as characters by the audience.

The ninja aesthetic you're cleaving to is pretty much an example of ninja failure - if a ninja found himself in a fight, then he'd failed to reach his target or escape undetected.

Writing Credits for Fantasy Flight Games: Into the Storm, Edge of the Abyss, Battlefleet Koronus, Hostile Acquisitions, Black Crusade Core Rulebook, First Founding, The Jericho Reach, The Soul Reaver, Only War, The Navis Primer and Ark of Lost Souls

#13 Nerd King

Nerd King

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Except, of course, that Ninjas didn't do that. That's a trope brought about by Japanese theatre, because the black garb of the stagehands was accepted by the audience as being a sign to ignore someone's presence, so ninja characters within a story were clad in the same garments, so they could attack without being acknowledged as characters by the audience.

The ninja aesthetic you're cleaving to is pretty much an example of ninja failure - if a ninja found himself in a fight, then he'd failed to reach his target or escape undetected.

Someone's been watching recent episodes of QI ;)

Rules for playable* assassins at Deathwatch level are in the Darh Heresy supplement "Ascension" - which includes PC Vindicare, Death Cultists (not Temple assassins, I know) and an NPC Eversor.

My current Deathwatch group includes a Death Cultist Assassin (my son had been playing a bit too much Assassin's Creed and *needed* to bring it to the table) and that works pretty well.

*I say playable because, as has been mentioned, the "Temple Assassin" trait is somewhat borked. The suggested "50% chance to dodge anything" could be a good fix though.

#14 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:51 AM

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Ninja come in two flavors. The first is the Tenchu flavor, where they die if anyone sees them. The second is the Ryu Hayabusa flavor, where anyone that sees the ninja dies.

--

There is a pretty strong line these days of combat ninja who are more or less guys who wear a black bodysuit and kill people with acrobatics and ninja magic.

One of these is probably easier to integrate in to a Deathwatch game, as they are more or less just another melee focused combatant rather than someone who has failed if the rest of the party ever know they exist.

Raiden from Metal Gear Solid 4 (and soon* Rising**) is a pretty good example:-

* Ish

** :Revengence

*** Kewl?

#15 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 12:27 PM

AluminiumWolf said:

N0-1_H3r3 said:

Ninja come in two flavors. The first is the Tenchu flavor, where they die if anyone sees them. The second is the Ryu Hayabusa flavor, where anyone that sees the ninja dies.

And Eversors are neither of them. I know the word "Assassin" may be confusing, but the Eversor temple is not about assassination at all - their operatives are mass murderers and terrorists.

#16 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:17 AM

Morangias said:

And Eversors are neither of them. I know the word "Assassin" may be confusing, but the Eversor temple is not about assassination at all - their operatives are mass murderers and terrorists.

I would agree here, Eversors are a poor choice for a PC IMHO.  Lexicanum has a good write up of them if you don't have the other books available.  Eversors are killing machines, not ninjas; not thoughtful, but mind wiped killing drones that are addicted to the combat stims so horribly they're put in stasis between assignments.  They don't get to walk the halls, read books, go on dates, or learn new tactics; when they're not murdering people in an orgy of blood they're asleep.  This is why they're in Ascension as an *NPC*, becuase A) they are a little over the top even for that game (which is saying something), and B) they're not that interesting from a character perspective, epsecially when in a group.

http://wh40k.lexican.../Eversor_Temple

There are other temples to choose from that fit the theme of 'ninja' more than the Eversor.

This is of course if you're considering the existing back story here.  If not, go knock yourself out.

#17 Guest_Not In Sample_*

Guest_Not In Sample_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:21 AM

+++++And Eversors are neither of them. I know the word "Assassin" may be confusing, but the Eversor temple is not about assassination at all - their operatives are mass murderers and terrorists.+++++

Sure, but I don't think that disqualifies them from being ninja. You get some pretty brutal ninja these days.

I'm just saying that if you show someone a picture of an Eversor they will totally say it is a ninja.

--

I can't help but feel that this proves I really will argue about anything.

--

I don't disagree that current fluff makes Eversors poor choices for PCs. I argue that this makes it bad fluff, as people are going to want to play the coolest ninja in the setting. If you can retcon the bleeding Necron to have more personality, you can do something for the Eversor!

#18 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:55 AM

AluminiumWolf said:

+++++And Eversors are neither of them. I know the word "Assassin" may be confusing, but the Eversor temple is not about assassination at all - their operatives are mass murderers and terrorists.+++++

Sure, but I don't think that disqualifies them from being ninja. You get some pretty brutal ninja these days.

How often do these brutal ninjas butcher entire cities, not even because they're in the way, but because their whole assignment was razing the goddamn city?

AluminiumWolf said:

I'm just saying that if you show someone a picture of an Eversor they will totally say it is a ninja.

You're absolutely the first person I've encountered making that connection.

AluminiumWolf said:

I can't help but feel that this proves I really will argue about anything.

That's about the first thing I've seen from you that I can fully agree with.

AluminiumWolf said:

I don't disagree that current fluff makes Eversors poor choices for PCs. I argue that this makes it bad fluff, as people are going to want to play the coolest ninja in the setting. If you can retcon the bleeding Necron to have more personality, you can do something for the Eversor!

There are many cool things in 40k - murder servitors, titans, Baneblades, Ordinatus, Wraithlords, Bloodthirsters, just to name a few - that are nonetheless unplayable. Sometimes, more is less.

#19 Charmander

Charmander

• Members
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:20 AM

AluminiumWolf said:

What, precisely, makes it the coolest?  Because it blows up when it dies or it has a skull face?  Of course it's opinion based, but I don't know that most people find the eversor the 'coolest ninja' outside of you, though, and the 'coolness' comes from their fluff, not just the fact it has a skull for a head and carries a sword.

#20 Morangias

Morangias

• Members
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

Yeah, Eversors are cool exactly because they're psychotic killing machines stuffed to the ears with the most powerful combat drugs humanity ever developed.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS