• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arkhamresident

arkhamresident

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Blam!  Randolph MFing Carter.

Being one of the only (or the only) recurring Lovecraft character I found it a glaring omission on FFG's part to not have Mr. Carter in AH.  If his special abilties are OP let me know and I'll readjust.  He's been through quite a lot so narrowing down what he can do is a pain. 

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

Mark Twain

#2 Julia

Julia

I survived Avi's apocalypse

• Members
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

It's a good one. The low Fight kinda compensate the high Lore / Luck, plus Speed is not excessively high or low.

Question: the +2 for OW encounters bonus is once per turn or constant? Some (very few, in fact) OW Encounters demand a double check of some kind (plus, almost everytime you have to fight, you have a Horror and a Combat check to do).

What about giving him a -1 to Arkham Encounters to balance it a little? After all, if he lives more in the OWs than in ours, then maybe he could have lost the perception of "normal reality"

Anyway, you should post it in the sticky Custom Investigator thread, to have it fixed forever!

We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
Custom Arkham Horror material / Arkham Horror Advanced Players League

#3 MyNeighbourTrololo

MyNeighbourTrololo

the Opener of Ways

• Members
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

Overpowered versions of Mark Herrigan, simply outclassing him in almost every aspect. 

That's cursed table-talk, and I'll stick you, if you don't shut it down, see?'

#4 arkhamresident

arkhamresident

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

MyNeighbourTrololo said:

Overpowered versions of Mark Herrigan, simply outclassing him in almost every aspect. 

I don't see how.  Mark can never be delayed while Randy's ability only functions in an OW.  Randy can still be arrested and loses a turn if that happens but Mark ignores arrest.  Mark has one more skill point than Randy, can actually win or evade a fight, sneaks better and starts with badass weapons.  Yeah, Randy's Luck and Lore are good but other than that he's kinda suckage when not in an OW.  I'll admit that the +2 in his second ability should maybe be +1.

I guess I should've specifically asked for constructive criticism...

The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.

Mark Twain

#5 Fake Ghost Pirate

Fake Ghost Pirate

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Is that a pic of young Harry Houdini? Anyhoo this character's great. +2 in Other Worlds might make him too powerful, though- also Randolph Carter strikes me as a 7 Sanity/ 3 Stamina sorta guy (even though we all hate 7/3 stats) or maybe a 6/4....Just a thought.

#6 arkhamresident

arkhamresident

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:24 AM

Ok, changed his San to six and Sta to four and switched the values for his Fight and Will.  Since he's described as being "sensitive" and seems to be suffering from some PTSD after WWI I didn't want him to have a really high San or Will.  I figure the bump up in San is offset by the reduced will and the higher fight can be explained by his military training.  I reduced the bonus from his second ability to +1 and changed the picture to something I like a bit more and probably isn't a young Houdini.    I do like the idea of keeping his OW bonus at +2 and giving him a -1 to encounters in Arkham but I feel that makes for too much bookkeeping combined with all the stuff he already has and I like things to be simple.  I are getting old and can't remember stuffs like I used to.  Thanks for the comments and critiques.

Mark Twain

#7 Adelphophage

Adelphophage

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:41 AM

How about this for a twist on making him better at Other Worlds, instead of the +1 to checks.

When Randolph Carter draws an Other World encounter card, he may always chose to resolve the Other encounter, rather than that of the location he drew.

#8 Grudunza

Grudunza

• Members
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:39 AM

Adelphophage said:

How about this for a twist on making him better at Other Worlds, instead of the +1 to checks.

When Randolph Carter draws an Other World encounter card, he may always chose to resolve the Other encounter, rather than that of the location he drew.

I'm not sure if that's different enough from Gloria.  It is, in essence, two encounters to choose from.  I like the +1 to checks in OW.

Also, when it says "he is only devoured by Yog-Sothoth if he returns to LITAS" that could be confusing.  Using the word "only" could mean that is the only way he can ever be devoured, or the only way he can ever be devoured against Yog-Sothoth.  I know that isn't what you mean, but it could be interpreted that way.   I would word it more like: "Randolph is only devoured by Yog-Sothoth's The Key and the Gate ability if he returns to Lost in Time and Space." 

Otherwise, he's good.  It's not surprising that RC was never used as an investigator in AH, as those are all made up, but it is a little surprising that he doesn't appear anywhere on an encounter or as an Ally or something.

#9 arkhamresident

arkhamresident

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Grudunza said:

Adelphophage said:

I'm not sure if that's different enough from Gloria.  It is, in essence, two encounters to choose from.  I like the +1 to checks in OW.

Also, when it says "he is only devoured by Yog-Sothoth if he returns to LITAS" that could be confusing.  Using the word "only" could mean that is the only way he can ever be devoured, or the only way he can ever be devoured against Yog-Sothoth.  I know that isn't what you mean, but it could be interpreted that way.   I would word it more like: "Randolph is only devoured by Yog-Sothoth's The Key and the Gate ability if he returns to Lost in Time and Space." 

Otherwise, he's good.  It's not surprising that RC was never used as an investigator in AH, as those are all made up, but it is a little surprising that he doesn't appear anywhere on an encounter or as an Ally or something.

I didn't write that bit, it's automatically added when you set an investigator's home to LitaS in Strange Eons. You made a good point so I changed it to avoid ambiguity.

Mark Twain

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS