Photo

Elder Gods of this new and infernal forum, hear me!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

Evil Rules Lawyer From Hell

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:11 AM

You know what would be really nice for those of us still smarting from the forced march to this new forum, or, the Trail of Tears as I prefer to call it?  How about an official ruling on how Charlie Kane's ally ability works?  It has been about a year now.  So?  How about it?

#2 StarBurn

StarBurn

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:56 AM

you are walking on thin ice my friend XD...

#3 Frank

Frank

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 09:40 AM

What, didn't we narrow it down to about six popular readings of the card already? Isn't that enough for you?

-Frank

#4 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:51 AM

To quote Uncle Ted, "NNNO!"

#5 Stenun

Stenun

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 03:50 AM

What's the problem with Charlie Kane?  I don't see it ...

#6 thecorinthian

thecorinthian

• Members
  • 766 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:31 AM

Stenun said:

Ahhh! Don't get into it! Seriously! The old forums aren't locked yet, just go and find the old thread!

And incidentally, on the subject of these new forums, how come I can't use whatever damn picture I want? This is like going from a five-star hotel to a coffin full of puke. At least if everyone uses their old avatars, I'll have a chance of remembering who's who.

#7 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:30 AM

don't open that can of worms again! I remember everyone disagreeing with me...

I find these forum pages take ages to load which annoys me. I also miss the quick reply....

#8 tamsyn

tamsyn

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:31 AM

and I agree about the avatars as well. loads of people already have the same one so I think it is the same person voting

(wouldn't it be interesting to do a poll in the future and see which picture is most popular)

#9 Gallagen

Gallagen

• Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

Charlie Kane, groan........

Ahhhhhh, gurgle....(dies of brain explosion)

Lets not get started on that topic... :)

#10 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:09 PM

Heh...  I really hope they incorporate custom avatars into the new forums.  I can't stand  the way it's set up now.

#11 Nghtflame7

Nghtflame7

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:10 AM

thecorinthian said:

Stenun said:

Ahhh! Don't get into it! Seriously! The old forums aren't locked yet, just go and find the old thread!

And incidentally, on the subject of these new forums, how come I can't use whatever damn picture I want? This is like going from a five-star hotel to a coffin full of puke. At least if everyone uses their old avatars, I'll have a chance of remembering who's who.

Yikes, a "coffin full of puke!" Now that is harsh. But I do wish I could put my old avatar back on here. I liked my little picture of the cosmos. It reminded me of my most hated monster, the Colour Out Of Space!

#12 mageith

mageith

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 09:56 AM

tamsyn said:

Not everyone

#13 MrsGamura

MrsGamura

• Members
  • 651 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 10:05 AM

mageith said:

tamsyn said:

Not everyone

I disagree...um...what I'm I disagreeing with again? lol

#14 Fecktor

Fecktor

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 02:29 PM

Avi_dreader said:

You know what would be really nice for those of us still smarting from the forced march to this new forum, or, the Trail of Tears as I prefer to call it?  How about an official ruling on how Charlie Kane's ally ability works?  It has been about a year now.  So?  How about it?

You mean his starting Ally?  Easy, since his ability says "Any phase" and the "Game Setup" isn't one of the phases of the game, then his starting ally is taken from the Ally deck only.

#15 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 03:50 PM

Fecktor said:

Avi_dreader said:

You mean his starting Ally?  Easy, since his ability says "Any phase" and the "Game Setup" isn't one of the phases of the game, then his starting ally is taken from the Ally deck only.

Apparently you weren't in the old forum for the long and drawn out, wtf are the rulings on Charlie debates... 

First of all, "Any Phase" for starting equipment is part of the game— see Monteray, Jenkins, Dexter extra item starting draw for details :') there was already a ruling on this...  Charlie's ability is the same way.  The question is, is it the intention for Charlie to be able to draw allies that are not part of the initial 11, and if it is, can he select *any* ally by using Ma's Boarding House...  ::Ugh:: I don't want to get into this again...  I've been looking forward to a ruling for a long time now...

#16 Fecktor

Fecktor

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:28 PM

Can you link to that ruling saying that the Game Startup is included in the "Any Phase" term?  I've went through the FAQ and the "Kevin W answers your game questions" thread on the old forum and didn't see any ruling about it.  I also made an attempt at searching through the old forum but the search function is a bit dodgy....

#17 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:01 PM

Fecktor said:

Can you link to that ruling saying that the Game Startup is included in the "Any Phase" term?  I've went through the FAQ and the "Kevin W answers your game questions" thread on the old forum and didn't see any ruling about it.  I also made an attempt at searching through the old forum but the search function is a bit dodgy....

I need to write sixteen pages between now and midnight Saturday, so, no ;'D

If you're really curious, make a separate posting asking about "Any Phase" re: Game Start Up, extra card draws, and special abilities.

Ugh...  Okay...  Here's a quote (and I wasted much more time than I should have finding this) from a Kevin Wilson Q&A thread from the old forum.

"3. What happens to the Archaeologist Monterey Jack if he's playing against Cthulhu with the Dark Pharaoh as the Herald? Does he go insane due to his two Unique Items and start the game at the Asylum (with half of his equipment lost) or what?

A3. Off to the asylum, yes. Sometimes it's tough being Monterey Jack.
"

Implicit in this is the idea that Monterey Jack's ability which is an "Any Phase" ability will drive him insane during setup with the Dark Pharoah herald (because he will draw three items instead of two, making him lose three sanity).  Anyways...  That's an example of the phrase "Any Phase" being used to include game startup.

I know this stuff has been addressed somewhere, I just can remember where.  Ashcan Pete's deckcheck ability is also an anyphase (I'd guess).  Anyways...  Someday there will be an answer as how to play Charlie ::sigh::

#18 Fecktor

Fecktor

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:15 PM

Actually he's only loosing 2 Sanity, and it's enough to send him to the Asylum in this situation because Cthulhu has dropped his Sanity to 2.  That's why...  (it's not because he draws 3 Unique Items and pick 2 at startup, which I don't do anyway since his ability is an "any phase" ability and that's besides the point because the Dark Pharaoh Herald make Investigators loose Sanity for Unique Items acquired, not drawn) but anyway ok...  I'll start another thread for my question. :)

EDIT: Oh, and Ashcan Pete's ability isn't an "Any Phase" ability, so he can definitely use it for his starting equipment ;)

#19 Avi_dreader

Avi_dreader

• Members
  • 5,573 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:31 PM

Fecktor said:

Actually he's only loosing 2 Sanity, and it's enough to send him to the Asylum in this situation because Cthulhu has dropped his Sanity to 2.  That's why...  (it's not because he draws 3 Unique Items and pick 2 at startup, which I don't do anyway since his ability is an "any phase" ability and that's besides the point because the Dark Pharaoh Herald make Investigators loose Sanity for Unique Items acquired, not drawn) but anyway ok...  I'll start another thread for my question. :)

Whoops.  Didn't notice Cthulhu in there.  You better do that :')

#20 Nghtflame7

Nghtflame7

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 04:33 AM

Avi_dreader said:

Fecktor said:

I need to write sixteen pages between now and midnight Saturday, so, no ;'D

Now I am curious as to what Avi_Dreader does that has writing deadlines that end at midnight? On a Saturday? During a full moon? The first day of winter?

This is potentially really creepy. The latest summoning invocation for the AO of your choice? I was supposed to be attending my girlfriend's company Christmas party that night, but now I think I will spend the evening in a protective circle with a gallon of holy water, various items of religious symbolism (or symbology - kudos to the first person to ID that reference), a .38 revolver and my Mameluke sword.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS